Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:devil_angry: surrend My wife was in gaylord this weekend and she took off from a stop sign and then BIG bang........ She stop'd and opened hood and by the time i turned around and pulled up next to her, she handed me a very ugly piece of aluminum and a weight. bang your head NOT GOOD!!!!!!! Broke off a ear from the spider. :turd: 1. What do i need to look at for damage (other than spider) 2. What size or kind of tool do i need to pull of the jam/lock nut from spider and do i need to heat it. 3. If i get a new spider what procedure do i need to follow to put it back on and what kind(color) loctite do i use. (red,blue,green etc....) 4. if i get a "uncalibrated" clutch and put the same shims and weights and spring what else would i need to do??????

Thanks again for any and all advice or story's.......................... :chug:

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
DO NOT try and repair that clutch..............garbage.
You can transfer your old wts with new bushings and a new spring into a replacement clutch.
I'd also service the secondary / check clutch alignment and set belt deflection.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the causes of spider failure.... The weights looked great, new bushing mid last year, maybe 400 miles, clutch was cleaned this spring. There was some packing dust from the pipe, red in color. The expansion part has a covering that is held together with pop rivits and 2 of them are now broke. Would that dust have made the spider or weight stick or would the weight have broke and took out the spider...........

·
Registered
34 Posts
i would definatly replce the clutch may have been a hair line crack a buddy of mine blew his primary clutch and when it blew he had a weight go through the footrest and in the top of his foot he also bent the crank when it blew and didnt catch it and in turn snapped his jackshaft so i would put a new clutch on and check your crank

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Go new.
You'll find a new uncalibrated primary on eBay for less than the parts & tools or labour required to bring that injured one back into service.

·
Registered
460 Posts
mine broke too just a couple weeks ago. and it wasnt even that old. its like everything. theres metal fatigue and it turns at high speeds so any flaw in manufacturing will be found. i just put on a new uncalibrated clutch but make sure and check the crank first. put a good run out gauge on it and make sure it didnt throw the crank out of true.

·
Registered
215 Posts
spiders cracking, especially in the 98's and 99's is very common. there was a recall on some of them.
mine went with 2500 miles on it and wasn't even on the recall list. just buy a new one ($200 on ebay) and use the same spring & weights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
been there, done that. listen to the folks comments above. Buy new. I don't even know if I'd use the same weights unless they have no wear or nicks and all weigh the same withing a gram or two.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a 99 ZR 440 Sno-Pro that was recalled for a faulty stationary sheave (bad alloy could cause a catastrophic failure). I intend to have the clutch repaired under the safety recall (TSB 99-024), but have purchased a new "uncalibrated" (doesn't include spring/weights) brand new on Ebay for $240 including shipping and will install it after the original clutch is repaired. The Primary drive clutchs are critical "high RPM" parts and should be given a considerable amount of attention and maintenance, so if you skimp, DON'T DO IT ON THE PRIMARY CLUTCH!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
how do you us this run out gauge... what are you checking, when you do this???

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ttt

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi,

You will need a dial indicator and a magnetic base. Try www.harborfreighttools.com for these tools, maybe around $25 for both. Next, attach the dial indicator to the magnetic base arm. Now attach the magnetic base to your engine block so that the tip of the dial indicator just touches the rotating surface of the crank "snout". Zero the dial indicator. Now SLOWLY rotate the crankshaft while watching the dial indicator. Record the lowest and highest reading from the dial indicator. Add the two readings together and you will have your total crankshaft runout. If this exceeds the specified value, it would unfortunately be time for a new crankshaft.

This was a very wordy reply, but once you have the dial indicator and magnetic base, you'll quickly know how to do this and understand the concept.

Good luck and PM me if you have any additional questions. I have the tools mentioned above and can take pictures of them and send them to you. Let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts