Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hear the good and the bad reviews from Blast owners. I can't believe I'm actually looking to spend more money with AC after my trials and tribulations with a 2021 ZR 8000 RR but looking to move 15 year old up from a Freestyle Skidoo 300 to a Blast maybe even move my wife off of a 2014 Eltigre 600 onto a Blast. Thinking that the lighter weight package may not wear them out at the end of some longer riding days.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I can't say to much since we had a terrible year for snow where I'm at the groomer didn't even lever the garage. I had to trailer 2 hours for the one ride we did get in this year. We only have 55 miles on it. I like tooling around on it its light and nibble. My wife it is her sled she loves it. She put 50 of the miles on he sled. We also rode test sleds last year, so we knew what we were getting. She loves how light the effort on the steering is and the egos for riding. She also likes how responsive the engine is on the low and mid range. She is not a speed demon at all. Wish the shocks were a ifp rebuildable but can always swap em out. It does get a tad darty but fixed that with a dual runner. I have heard people having issues with injectors or knock sensor and engines but since we haven't had many miles its still unknown. Over all we are pleased with it and will be in the family for a long time, daughter will eventually get it im sure.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well I can't say to much since we had a terrible year for snow where I'm at the groomer didn't even lever the garage. I had to trailer 2 hours for the one ride we did get in this year. We only have 55 miles on it. I like tooling around on it its light and nibble. My wife it is her sled she loves it. She put 50 of the miles on he sled. We also rode test sleds last year, so we knew what we were getting. She loves how light the effort on the steering is and the egos for riding. She also likes how responsive the engine is on the low and mid range. She is not a speed demon at all. Wish the shocks were a ifp rebuildable but can always swap em out. It does get a tad darty but fixed that with a dual runner. I have heard people having issues with injectors or knock sensor and engines but since we haven't had many miles its still unknown. Over all we are pleased with it and will be in the family for a long time, daughter will eventually get it im sure.
Is there a sway bar kit available for the Blast Zr yet?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't seen one yet but the 2022 touring blast 2 up comes with one so I'm sure its only mater of time or if you can weld or know some one weld 2 tabs on the lower control arms. Thats probly what ill do. And have a arms powder coated

·
Registered
702 Posts
I haven't seen one yet but the 2022 touring blast 2 up comes with one so I'm sure its only mater of time or if you can weld or know some one weld 2 tabs on the lower control arms. Thats probly what ill do. And have a arms powder coated
Would have been nice if A/C put a 5 step cam adjuster on all 3 shocks, would have had some type of adjustment. Overall cost would have been marginal, say $5.00 U.S. dollars on each shock. I had no idea there was a sway bar on the Touring, thanks for the info! You mentioned that your snow conditions were marginal this season, I’m in Thunder Bay, Ontario, we as well had a very short season; like a totally bummer! 12 days of extreme cold, highs of - 32 Celsius during the day; with a low of-42 to-47 Celsius during the evening! Polar vortex I heard went all the down to Texas! Even snowed there, watched a short video on the weather channel of a ice covered hill that turned into a demolition derby for local drivers. Thanks again for the info. 😎

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove a minimum of 4 hours to snow five weeks in a row so yes I can relate to a terrible winter riding in sub zero temps on three days one weekend. I also suffered through the injector and or programming issue on a brand new 2021 8000 and that is why I am asking about the Blast and real life issues. I am a loyal AC customer that is about to the edge and ready to jump to another brand. I too think my wife would really enjoy the lighter and more nimble platform that the Blast offers but 8 grand is steep for another problem for the same money I can jump her to a 600 Sport from skidoo that is now EFI with a few more bells and whistles.

I am thinking I just answered my own question

·
Registered
702 Posts
I drove a minimum of 4 hours to snow five weeks in a row so yes I can relate to a terrible winter riding in sub zero temps on three days one weekend. I also suffered through the injector and or programming issue on a brand new 2021 8000 and that is why I am asking about the Blast and real life issues. I am a loyal AC customer that is about to the edge and ready to jump to another brand. I too think my wife would really enjoy the lighter and more nimble platform that the Blast offers but 8 grand is steep for another problem for the same money I can jump her to a 600 Sport from skidoo that is now EFI with a few more bells and whistles.

I am thinking I just answered my own question
Have you mulled over the thought of purchasing a 6000 series sled from A/C? I know some of the colours are not everyone’s taste. Stick with the A/C’s I’m sure that they will have a fix for the mapping\injector issues in the near future. Traded in my ‘19 Zr 800 for a ‘22 Zr 600RR hoping that I’ll have thousands of miles of trouble free adventures, if not I’ll probably jump on a Yamaha; At least it has a great chassis made by A/C! 🐈‍⬛

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At 6'8 and 325 with gear I work a 6000 pretty hard. I took a hiatus from sledding for a few years and returned on a 14 ElTigre 600 that we still have. It will stay in the fleet for my 17 year old but we need to upgrade a few. Blast is definitely calling out to me for 15 year old daughter, but I am gun shy on the AC brand (Textron) dealer is doing what he can but still no word on fixes and I was curious how hard this issue (lean-Stumble) was hitting Blast owners. So far it looks like a few pennies in the clutch fixes over rev and I have heard of a few issues with injectors on these.

Mostly I "WANT" to hear the good as I am a long time AC rider going back to 93 Wild Cat.....Before that I rode everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We were able to put a thousand miles on our Blast this year. My 13 year old son loves it. The clutching was off some but is easily fixed by adding two pennies to each clutch weight. The size is perfect for him since it allows him to use his weight to influence the machine in corners. Something that he wouldn’t be able to do yet on a larger machine. It is pretty quick to 60 and tops out in the low 70’s. He can ride it pretty hard and still be in control of the machine. Except for long straights he can keep up to me on my ZR8000. I don’t see the issue with the price. It fills a much needed void in the snowmobile market. When he out grows it I will still keep it for the wife later on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
We were able to put a thousand miles on our Blast this year. My 13 year old son loves it. The clutching was off some but is easily fixed by adding two pennies to each clutch weight. The size is perfect for him since it allows him to use his weight to influence the machine in corners. Something that he wouldn’t be able to do yet on a larger machine. It is pretty quick to 60 and tops out in the low 70’s. He can ride it pretty hard and still be in control of the machine. Except for long straights he can keep up to me on my ZR8000. I don’t see the issue with the price. It fills a much needed void in the snowmobile market. When he out grows it I will still keep it for the wife later on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These sleds aren’t just for the young or smaller size rider , or newbies to the sport. I’ve been rid’n sleds since I was 13, experienced seasoned rider now at the age of 53. I was going to lay my dunkettes down at my local A/C dealership this spring to purchase a Zr Blast, unfortunately I had a issue with my ‘19 Zr 800 Ltd( lean down/stumble) that put me back from purchasing a Blast, had to trade in 800, and place a spring order for a Zr 600RR. Can’t afford right now to purchase a second sled, I was planning on souping up a Zr Blast six ways of Sunday to build the ultimate lightweight sleeper... you know... ah it’s just a Blast no big deal; I got this. Then BAM.. with peanut butter and jam I’ve left them in my snow dust wondering what just happened! They’ll probably get me on the top end, but there going to have to push it pretty hard to catch up. Sled only weighs 400 pounds, makes for a fun and playful package. There are a few aftermarket parts available for the Blast lineup, but I’m sure the aftermarket will flood the average consumer with more goodies once it’s popularity picks up. Test rode some of the Blasts last year at a demonstration, clutching seemed a little off; otherwise a great platform to start moding out. Great to hear that your 13 year old is enjoying the great outdoors with you, family always comes first; and the memories rid’n together will last a lifetime! 😎

·
Registered
188 Posts
I want to hear the good and the bad reviews from Blast owners. I can't believe I'm actually looking to spend more money with AC after my trials and tribulations with a 2021 ZR 8000 RR but looking to move 15 year old up from a Freestyle Skidoo 300 to a Blast maybe even move my wife off of a 2014 Eltigre 600 onto a Blast. Thinking that the lighter weight package may not wear them out at the end of some longer riding days.
With how Textron is handling the AC brand, why not just get the Yamaha Venom? It's literally the exact same sled in a different color. Plus you know Yamaha isn't going anywhere and should be easy support.

Textron just doesn't seem to care about the AC brand. Maybe the sleds will start saying Tracker on them too lol.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
With how Textron is handling the AC brand, why not just get the Yamaha Venom? It's literally the exact same sled in a different color. Plus you know Yamaha isn't going anywhere and should be easy support.

Textron just doesn't seem to care about the AC brand. Maybe the sleds will start saying Tracker on them too lol.

I gave the thought about switching to Yamaha but they don’t build a full size two stroke trail sled, I know that they offer the mid size sleds in the full flavours that A/C offers; but my local A/C dealership treats me like a Sultan. I can visit my dealership and they are always willing to help me out, and don’t give me the b.m’s rush; I can for the most part have a discussion with the lead mechanic if I have a technical question(s) ; not to many dealerships allow that. Referring to your second paragraph, I believe that A/C cares; but there public relations department needs a wake up call; usually there’s a few hiccups when there’s a large corporation takeover. What I feel is A/C needs to take a survey of all owners of new sleds from the last 4 years to get their feedback and inputs as to what the average consumer wants and needs. Reliability, durability, performance and costs should be considered; not forgetting customer relations when a problem or questions arises. I like Yamaha’s... but I don’t lov’em!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I gave the thought about switching to Yamaha but they don’t build a full size two stroke trail sled, I know that they offer the mid size sleds in the full flavours that A/C offers; but my local A/C dealership treats me like a Sultan. I can visit my dealership and they are always willing to help me out, and don’t give me the b.m’s rush; I can for the most part have a discussion with the lead mechanic if I have a technical question(s) ; not to many dealerships allow that. Referring to your second paragraph, I believe that A/C cares; but there public relations department needs a wake up call; usually there’s a few hiccups when there’s a large corporation takeover. What I feel is A/C needs to take a survey of all owners of new sleds from the last 4 years to get their feedback and inputs as to what the average consumer wants and needs. Reliability, durability, performance and costs should be considered; not forgetting customer relations when a problem or questions arises. I like Yamaha’s... but I don’t lov’em!
Good to hear you have a good dealer. We lost all dealer except for the bad one. The one I bought my atv from was great, even after they lost their dealership rights.

Unfortunately, on the offroad side, they crappies all over the brand. They don't even have front diff lock anymore as of 2021, and your better off getting info from tracker than AC.

In any case, here, we have the worst dealer as the only dealer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good to hear you have a good dealer. We lost all dealer except for the bad one. The one I bought my atv from was great, even after they lost their dealership rights.

Unfortunately, on the offroad side, they crappies all over the brand. They don't even have front diff lock anymore as of 2021, and your better off getting info from tracker than AC.

In any case, here, we have the worst dealer as the only dealer.

What your saying about a bad A/C dealership shouldn’t fall upon deaf ears, this is exactly what I’m referring to public relations department; they have to listen to the consumer. Need a online survey before more customers walk or run away from the brand. The only way that A/C may listen to the customers is if all owners send a text message on the same day, same time; you know e b..b at once! That may get their attention, read a post on site that had mentioned a address that you can write to; although the dude didn’t post the address; because of a confidentially agreement...rats!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have written to AC about 5x. Nit a single response. Unfortunately, since textron took over they've gone down the tubes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With how Textron is handling the AC brand, why not just get the Yamaha Venom?
They're built on the same line with different colors. So Yamaha goes where cat goes. If one can't get parts for example the other won't either. Either one you buy is textron.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
They're built on the same line with different colors. So Yamaha goes where cat goes. If one can't get parts for example the other won't either. Either one you buy is textron.

There is likely a part supply agreement to Yamaha. This is normal.

Also, I'm making an assumption here but I would say Yamaha service centers will not dissappear, however, most cat dealerships had their cat support revoked. For Canada, it seems like they dropped almost every dealership except 1 or 2 per province. So where I am, there is literally only one dealer left, and they were actually the worst one. The best one, which also had many recognition awards from AC, but were de-licensed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is likely a part supply agreement to Yamaha. This is normal.

Also, I'm making an assumption here but I would say Yamaha service centers will not dissappear, however, most cat dealerships had their cat support revoked. For Canada, it seems like they dropped almost every dealership except 1 or 2 per province. So where I am, there is literally only one dealer left, and they were actually the worst one. The best one, which also had many recognition awards from AC, but were de-licensed.

I live in Canada and have one cat dealer 20 min away and 2 more within an hour.

If cat doesn't have a part Yamaha won't either, they're all the same and the parts come from the same places.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I live in Canada and have one cat dealer 20 min away and 2 more within an hour.

If cat doesn't have a part Yamaha won't either, they're all the same and the parts come from the same places.

I'm originally from Ontario, thats not a good example as it is one of the most populous and best economies in Canada. Here, the AC shop is 45 min away from everywhere, and hours for most. It's an hour for me.

I'm from automotive, typically in partnerships there is an agreement that AC would have parts reservations for Yamaha. And therefore, just because AC says the part is on back order, it doesn't mean it is for Yamaha.

Also, even if AC stops making their version, it doesn't mean they would stop making the Yamaha version. They may just maintain the Yamaha production to minimize loss due to people not buying the AC branded version

These are all things I've seen happen before.

And don't get me wrong, I think AC has some great products. I have a 17 Atlerra 700 XT that I love. But my reality is that Textron is killing AC and they have removed features from my model, such as electronic 4x4 and now no model seems to have front diff lock. And the composite racks which are fantastic are missing on almost all models.

Add that I get no response from AC when I reach out, which pre textron they always replied to questions, and that Textron has revoked dealerships and left me the worst one. I have a hard time suggesting to people to buy an AC. And I praise mine to anyone wanting an opinion. But they cannot buy mine anymore because Textron dumbed it down for the Tracker partnership.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Pretty good discussion about the dealer network and brand support.
Kinda lost track of the discussion about Blast sleds. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts