Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so i noticed awhile ago that I had black specks in my fuel filter. so, I changed the filter and it went away but more specks reappeared probably 2 minutes later.. Is my tank just really dirty or is my tank being eaten away? The specks only seem to show up when I run 87 oxy not 91 non-oxy. Any help is a appreciated.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Could be a little bit of both. The tank is probably dirty from poor gas, but the 87 oxy could be eating away at it too. You should always run a premium 89 or higher no ethonol non oxygenated gas in your sled. In order to get this you are going to have to buy 91 or 92 at most gas stations you go to. You will notice that this fuel takes longer to break down too.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Based on your mileage you have in your profile it's going to be the gas from sitting. Gas may be clear but there are hard components that fall out of it after sitting for a long time. It's best to siphon it all out in the fall of the year and put it into something else. I put it in the car myself. Put all new gas in the tank or just 5 gallons in November, then you know the fuel is good. And by siphoning it out your sure to take any crap that might be laying in there. Been doing that for years on my sleds. Never have a fuel issue.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Could be a little bit of both. The tank is probably dirty from poor gas, but the 87 oxy could be eating away at it too. You should always run a premium 89 or higher no ethonol non oxygenated gas in your sled. In order to get this you are going to have to buy 91 or 92 at most gas stations you go to. You will notice that this fuel takes longer to break down too.
The owners manual that came with my Thundercat says to use regular 87 octane fuel. I have never had any problems, or crap in my filter.

My advice to the OP is to pull the line out of the tank, inspect the line and pickup screen.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been trying to run 91 non-oxy but its so expensive! I ran 87 today but I put ISO in it. Seemed to work fine. I will just keep an eye on it. Yeah my owners manual says to run 87 but the manual said it needs to have one jet size larger because of the oxy. I don't know why this is. The previous owner upgrade to one size bigger.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah my owners manual says to run 87 but the manual said it needs to have one jet size larger because of the oxy. I don't know why this is.
Because the Oxy fuel runs hotter/leaner, therefore the need to jet it up a size to counter it...

Reactions: J-D
1 - 7 of 7 Posts