Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a BM head with interchangable domes, the thing is around here there are a few towns that dont sell 91 fuel only 87. my question is what will happen if I run the 87. this is for when I go on trips. anyone here use octane boost and if so what type. thanks (its a 99 zr 600 efi no other mods cept can)

·
Registered
76 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Campbell @ Feb 23 2007, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just put on a BM head with interchangable domes, the thing is around here there are a few towns that dont sell 91 fuel only 87. my question is what will happen if I run the 87. this is for when I go on trips. anyone here use octane boost and if so what type. thanks (its a 99 zr 600 efi no other mods cept can)[/b]
your asking for trouble, the likely scenario will be you will burn it down. if the DR told you to take 2 painkillers a day and you took 12 what do you think would happen? they give you directions for a reason and it isnt just to BS you.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I once ran 1/2 tank of octane boost and 87 octane Ammoco (the other 1/2 tank was Ammoco 93) in my 1999 Sno-Pro (92 only sled) and it ran poorly (lacked power). I wouldn't take it over part throttle until I could get better fuel. When I found better fuel, I siphoned off the remainder of the 87 octane boost into my brothers gas hog ZRT600 and filled up with premium 93 Ammoco, the sled ran a bunch better, and I really mean it, like somebody added a turbocharger. Since the ZR 440 Sno-Pro gets great mileage, I don't really have to worry that much. I suppose the octane boost may help supress detonation (detonation puts holes in your pistons) but I'd not rely on it for steady "poundings" as it will kill your engine. Have you considered a "buddy tank" for additional fuel?

PS. The ZRT600 seemed to run better on the 93 Ammoco as well. I think the 87 has oxygenates in it (alcohol/MTBE/etc.). 93 is all we run anymore in all of our sleds.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am gonna look into a buddy tank I guess. thanks. well untill monday I am off its supposed to snow for the whole weekend. so I wont be sitting here. Ill post pics..............Mabe. have a good weekend. Later

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am gonna look into a buddy tank I guess. thanks. well untill monday I am off its supposed to snow for the whole weekend. so I wont be sitting here. Ill post pics..............Mabe. have a good weekend. Later

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As long as you don't run it wide open you will be fine to run lower octane in a pinch. For my sled I carry a 2.5 gallon jerry can of 110 octane race fuel. I mix it with 87 octane to give me 92.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Campbell @ Feb 25 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What and where do you store it on a long ride. I hear that you pooched your sled, that sux,[/b]
I built a rack that stores it on the back of my seat. Ya. I'm probably going to put her back to an 800. Big Bores take a lot of $$$ and patience to dick around with carbs and clutching.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.