Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been working on some billet's with rubber and have come up with something a little different that we think you guys are going to like.

Our wheels are going to have a replaceable rubber ring.....so if by some chance the rubber does break off it can be replaced, and the wheel does not have to be thrown away.

It is a Urethane Rubber that we are using and has tempurature ratings of -65 F to +275 F, and is very strong.

Due to the lack of snow where we are, we have been doing some testing in the shop. We have been running the wheel against a metal gear with weights pulling down on them to simulate running against studs, as well as the pressure they could encounter. We have been running the wheels at about 4000 rpm's, which is pretty fast.

So far they have been holding up well, next we plan on getting them wet, then freezing them, and then running them.

Please give us some feedback on this idea, as well as other idea's on how we could test them in the shop.

thanks

tricked-toys

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i like them, but 4,000 rpms try like 5-7,000 prms and then we'll see, how much are these going for ?[/b]

We will try and spin them faster.....not sure on the price yet, we have to see how much we can get them for if we buy a bunch of them.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tricked-Toys @ Dec 29 2006, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i like them, but 4,000 rpms try like 5-7,000 prms and then we'll see, how much are these going for ?[/b]

We will try and spin them faster.....not sure on the price yet, we have to see how much we can get them for if we buy a bunch of them.
[/b][/quote]
sounds good to me, maybe you should try 8,000 rpms for 15 min and see how they last, you just never know

·
Registered
35 Posts
why not send a few sets out to guys with snow. A set of 8 inch would look good on my sled.
LOL they are a sweet looking wheel. I wonder what rpm they turn in a sled at lets say 100 mph. someone must have an rpm guage to check that for ya.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I like your testing methodology.....however, I'm willing to sacrifice my time and our snow for some real world, Canadian weather testing....all in the name of science of course. Let me know. For the right deal anything is possible...right!?

·
Registered
656 Posts
As someone who tests for a living, I have a bit of advice - test for failure, not success. Positive test cases simply verify that the product works as it was designed, but in the real world, you can't control the environment. This is why negative and boundary test cases are much more effective test tools.

·
Registered
656 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (machzeater @ Dec 30 2006, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wonder what rpm they turn in a sled at lets say 100 mph. someone must have an rpm guage to check that for ya.[/b]

Actually, if you do the math, he's almost right on the money for his testing.

100 miles per hour = 6,336,000 inches per hour, or 105,600 inches per minute.

An 8" wheel has a circumference of 25.13", so it would rotate 4202 times to go 105,600 inches.

4202 rpm's at 100 mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you putting any sort of load on the wheels or just spinning them?? Because, it would make more sense to put the wheels under some sort of stress.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry,

I forgot to mention that they do look very sweet. let us know when they are for sale. Whoops I didn't see that you have a weight hanging off of it. My bad.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next we are trying the extreme freeze test, we have put the wheel in a plastic container and filled it with enough water to cover the wheel, it is now in the freezer....we are going to run the ice block wheel and see what happens.

Also, we have added more weights to the testing machine, we tried one of my stock 05 REV wheels, it lasted 30 mins, then we tried a brand new AC wheel, it lasted 10 mins.

thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is there really any difference as far as durability or performance between the wheels with rubber and the wheels without?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat4ever @ Dec 31 2006, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is there really any difference as far as durability or performance between the wheels with rubber and the wheels without?[/b]
The rubber is required for sleds that have studs on the outside bars of there track....without the rubber the studs will chew up the billet wheels.....

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tricked-Toys @ Dec 31 2006, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat4ever @ Dec 31 2006, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there really any difference as far as durability or performance between the wheels with rubber and the wheels without?[/b]
The rubber is required for sleds that have studs on the outside bars of there track....without the rubber the studs will chew up the billet wheels.....
[/b][/quote]
so if you dont have studs you dont need the rubber just the billet wheel

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Dec 31 2006, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tricked-Toys @ Dec 31 2006, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat4ever @ Dec 31 2006, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
so if you dont have studs you dont need the rubber just the billet wheel
[/b][/quote]

correct.....

·
Read Only
0 Posts
ill take some next year for the Xfire, if we ever do get snow !!! let us know a price for all the xfires, i would like all outer wheels

·
Registered
795 Posts
Damn those are nice looking wheels !

Sad to hear a stock cat wheel failed after a mere 10 minutes....yikes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts