Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
:sos: Well as a first time AC buyer. I guess I was unaware of what I bought....I did some research and got a great deal on an 2006 AC 400 Auto for 1,500.00. Now I know why it was so cheap. It runs great, no smoking and rides good as I can tell. The plastic and tires looks new and no obvious signs of real abuse but a little. The owner told me the following problems:
1. No brakes
2. Guage not working.
3. Muffler loud and broke.
4. 4WD not working.

I thought I could deal with that to make up for the cheap deal. Now I took it to a shop last friday to get a run down on what I need fixed. Well to the surprise of my pocketbook. It will cost about $2,000.00 to fix. Here is what the repairman told me the problem. Yes the calipers are shot front and back. The muffler needs replaced. The guage needs replaced. No air filter...WTF.......And the big one is the front part of the frame is off. Which tells him it was hit or flipped over. That is why the 4WD won't engage.
Now he told me if it was his bike he would fix it because of the resale value of the AC's. To me I might just fix the brakes and try to make some money on it and buy another used one with less problems. He could try to bend the frame back to get the front differential to line up again but that is a big if.......... :angry:
What should i do. I have not much money but enough to get the brakes and guages fixed for now.....I am brand new to the ATV world so please give me some advice....greg

·
Registered
99 Posts
WOW Is the seller someone u knew. the best option u gave would be to screw someone else which is not right. i would talk to the seller and tell him what u found out. Try to get your money back. If sell is a douche bag theres always small claims court very cheap to file and would more than likely go in your favor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking into a frame. I see they are 600.00 bones for a new one. It might be cheaper to go that route. But hell, by the time I replace everything else, I could have bought a better used AC.....IMO.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I would try this first. Check on here in the swap meet area or ebay or any other source for used parts. Buy the parts the cat dealer told you. Buy yourself a service manual for this ATV. Buy a cheap set of tools if you dont have them allready. Replace the brakes and guage yourself. A stock exauxt should be had for cheap, most people put a aftermarket system on anyways. If you cant figure it out, post pics and questions on this site. As for the frame, post some pics so people can see how bad it looks. You mite be able to have a body shop pull it out and you can fix the 4x4. This is if you feel up to the challange. Its so much nicer to ride somthing you know you fixed, and it saves you so much $. First I try to get your $ back and give the guy back his wreck. Or pay the $2000 for a maybe, that dont seem like the best idea. Good luck,
Nick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (golson @ Nov 10 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was looking into a frame. I see they are 600.00 bones for a new one. It might be cheaper to go that route. But hell, by the time I replace everything else, I could have bought a better used AC.....IMO.[/b]
I feel like the owner did not know the frame was bent. She was a female and you know how that works....No offense to woman.....On the other hand, she did tell me what was wrong to the best of her knowledge, so I think she told the truth. I will suck it up and replace all I know. At least the engine is running top notch from the repairman and that is a big hurdle....He did say he could try to bend the fram but I don't know if it would be the same after that.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
you might be able to part it out and get your money back or make some cash

·
Registered
99 Posts
Part out is not a bad suggestion. Hell ive seen diffs sell for between 3 and 7 hundred dollers. but riding a bike with a bent frame may get u hurt. It weakens it and could result in a failure.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i'd think the diffs and motor would fetch 1500 easy, plastic, wiring harness, wheels and tires, axle's, the good brake parts, racks etc would be extra cash.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Part it out and buy one that is not a basket case to start with! :chug:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate to part out everything. Dealing with listing all the parts and shiping and just packaging all this stuff. I want to have something to ride now and not wait months to sell a lot of parts......Unless people want the parts now.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Guess its half price of new? If you got the time and no how , a frame swap is not that bad!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never done it before. I worked on cars before but not this detailed to do a whole swap. Anyone have any experience with this? Any shortfalls or problems to be aware of before I proceed.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined fix it yourself and enjoy it. It wouldn't cost you near $2000.

If you can't do the work yourself or have a really good friend that will help you fix it as a favor, then I'd resell it for what you got in it and keep looking.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Well one thing i can recommend is put things in separate containers and label each one as to where it goes and also take lots of pictures of where things go! Make sure wires are run in the right spots and just take your time! Also good time to change a arm bushing and wheel bearings !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (overdriv @ Nov 10 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you are mechanically inclined fix it yourself and enjoy it. It wouldn't cost you near $2000.

If you can't do the work yourself or have a really good friend that will help you fix it as a favor, then I'd resell it for what you got in it and keep looking.[/b]
Can I use the old rubber washers and such for bolt on parts? An is there a bushing kit or something like that?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
can we get pics please? i wanna see whats up with the frame keeping 4wd from working and the ex the most. is there no front driveshaft? it'll be much easier to acess what it's gonna take if we can see it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's in the shop right now. when i get it back i will take many pictures. The front driveshaft is intact and the rubber boot is torn. But that is all i see from my inspection...greg

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
As long as both are FIS then the frames are the same. As per the part numbers from country cat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts