Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the new big bore 800 EFI for the first ride this weekend and would like some tuning suggestions. Its a stock 05 bottom end with 85mm jugs that have been mildly ported and polished, wiseco pistons, speedwerx pump gas heads, 3 degree timing key, 05 ECU, Boondocker and D&D monster twins. I have been all over the internet and made numerous phone calls to get some baseline boondocker settings and this is what I have come up with.

fuel [email protected] 42 psi

3000 = 0 0 2
5000 = 4 0 2
6700 = 10 7 0
7300 = 10 8 8
7800 = 20 24 24
8250 = 30 30 30
8700 = 20 20 60

These settings came from D&D and they said they are "SAFE". Any thoughts from you CAT gurus? Would you fatten it up or anywhere? If these are exceptable, can I just read the plugs in 1000 rpm increments every 1/2 mile or so to get an idea if they are safe. Piston wash will be next to impossible to check because the pipes need to come off to do it. Any other suggestions or imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willytucker @ Dec 18 2009, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Taking the new big bore 800 EFI for the first ride this weekend and would like some tuning suggestions. Its a stock 05 bottom end with 85mm jugs that have been mildly ported and polished, wiseco pistons, speedwerx pump gas heads, 3 degree timing key, 05 ECU, Boondocker and D&D monster twins. I have been all over the internet and made numerous phone calls to get some baseline boondocker settings and this is what I have come up with.

fuel [email protected] 42 psi

3000 = 0 0 2
5000 = 4 0 2
6700 = 10 7 0
7300 = 10 8 8
7800 = 20 24 24
8250 = 30 30 30
8700 = 20 20 60

These settings came from D&D and they said they are "SAFE". Any thoughts from you CAT gurus? Would you fatten it up or anywhere? If these are exceptable, can I just read the plugs in 1000 rpm increments every 1/2 mile or so to get an idea if they are safe. Piston wash will be next to impossible to check because the pipes need to come off to do it. Any other suggestions or imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chad[/b]
Just from my experience SAFE means very rich so it won't blow up,doesn't mean that with those boondocker numbers it will run good.My buddy 2 weeks ago took his 05 f7 with a 800 bb to the dyno and with the safe numbers he got from the company he was 11 hp less than he is now with a very safe set up.I would highly recommend dyno tuning it or have someone tune it in the field that knows there stuff.Get the most out of your investment especially with those twin pipes that are finiky and hard to tune alone

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Find a very long stretch. What you need to do is hold the throttle steady at the adjustment points of the boondocker box. So ride it for a while with these safe numbers, like 50 miles or so. Go to the long stretch and hold it steady at 6700 for 1/2 to 3/4 mile, then before letting off the throttle hit the kill switch. Pull read the plugs and look at them. If not right then. Put plugs back in start the sled add or subtrack numbers and test again at that rpms. Continue this at each of the adjustment points. Also egt's would be very helpfull to you, just added insurance. The egt's will make tunning even easier and with twin pipes egts are highly recommended.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50 miles? Thats a little far for a motor that could be lean isn't it? Can you "help" the motor buy burping the throttle once in a while in the mid range to prevent a lean burn down?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willytucker @ Dec 18 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
50 miles? Thats a little far for a motor that could be lean isn't it? Can you "help" the motor buy burping the throttle once in a while in the mid range to prevent a lean burn down?[/b]

burping the throttle at midrange 6700+ will bring your temps down but can't cruise at that range or you will burn it up.That is why a egt would really come in hand,without one you won't know if your running hot

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
50 miles allows brand new plugs to get the newness out. As darrelw pointed out in post 2, the numbers that are posted by places like D&D and BMP (to name a couple) are very trail safe. So very trail safe numbers and 50 miles is the way to go. It is just 50 miles of easy trail riding, not hard WOT out of every turn, WOT for every straight away, ride it the same way as you would properly break in a new belt/brand new motor. EGT gauge like below is very helpfull.
http://www.exhaustgas.com/ProductDetail.as...=&BasketID=

1 - 7 of 7 Posts