Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't run 29.5 or 31's or anything like that. I trail ride, cut wood and thinking of plowing snow. I've read that (on this site) that high power reverse will cause the gears to walk over each other. I just don't want to hurt it. Also I don't think it would ever be the same after the motor was torn all the way down. I run 27" XTR ITP's, should I use the stockers or am I OK?. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. I am including a picture of my machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe the bevel gear issue was fixed by the '08 model year. I'd be more worried about the front diff blowing up due to poor welds.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already had the diff go out!! When that pin came out, that was a violent ride. I hope the new one is better!! I just hear so much about the bevel gears it has me wondering. Before my diff went I thought there is no way that is going to happen to me?!? I think its just the guys running big tires and mudding with them. Not that I avoid mud, but don't go looking for it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 08s just have a better quality bearing, so I'm told, they have the old style bevels just like the older models. On my 07, the bearing exploded on me right @ 2300 miles. That was a frightful noise! But I caught it in time, tore it apart, and put the new style in there, and all the stuff that goes with it. Boy are they noisy, it sounds like a tractor lol

Oh btw, the 09s is when they started putting in the new style gears.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just dont bounce the front end when crawling out of a hole or dont hammer on it when in thick mudd . Anyways your running 27s there will never be a problem at all those tires dont strain the motor much at all . Heck my h1 was an early 07 without the updated bevels an with my 32s i have never had a single problem at all .

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1badkittykat @ Nov 23 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 08s just have a better quality bearing, so I'm told, they have the old style bevels just like the older models. On my 07, the bearing exploded on me right @ 2300 miles. That was a frightful noise! But I caught it in time, tore it apart, and put the new style in there, and all the stuff that goes with it. Boy are they noisy, it sounds like a tractor lol

Oh btw, the 09s is when they started putting in the new style gears.[/b]
What were you doing when the gear exploded? Anything I should watch for?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcat or die @ Nov 23 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just dont bounce the front end when crawling out of a hole or dont hammer on it when in thick mudd . Anyways your running 27s there will never be a problem at all those tires dont strain the motor much at all . Heck my h1 was an early 07 without the updated bevels an with my 32s i have never had a single problem at all .[/b]
Do you think the added weight of the prowler will hurt it more? I get what you are saying about bouncing the front end. How fragile is it? I mainly run trails, how likely is it to go? Would a big hill climb hurt it? I just feel afraid to work it too hard. Am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I wouldnt be worried at all heck them 27s dont weigh nothing at all , the prowlers already come with the 4.0 gears an that takes alot of stress away from the bevels . Im running the 4.0 gears in my h1 an with all of my clutching i did it takes alot away from the gears just the heavyer tires will do you in . Your 27s wont break them there not heavy an dont bite as hard as an outlaw or silverback ...yes your being paranoid bouma :rofl:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcat or die @ Nov 24 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wouldnt be worried at all heck them 27s dont weigh nothing at all , the prowlers already come with the 4.0 gears an that takes alot of stress away from the bevels . Im running the 4.0 gears in my h1 an with all of my clutching i did it takes alot away from the gears just the heavyer tires will do you in . Your 27s wont break them there not heavy an dont bite as hard as an outlaw or silverback ...yes your being paranoid bouma :rofl:[/b]

Thats good to hear! I think the 700 XTX come's with 3.6 gears? I know the 650's came with 4.0 gears. I can get paronoid that way some times, thanks for keeping me in check!!! :p I thought some one on here said that with the bigger engine(700H1) Cat put 3.6 gears in for more top end? I guess I will just use the damn thing and try to forget about the bevel gear!! I must say one of the most positive experiances about owning the Cat has been all the great people that are willing to help and answer questions! Makes me glad that I bought the Cat. If anyone has any other thought keep em comming. Thanks again!!! Cat happy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have shattered the bevel gears on my 06 was on concrete in 4wd and throttle stuck wide open (cable froze) (Ice) jammed on brakes to stop and shut it off freed up cable and gears were toast bone stock machine. a friend of mine was bouncing frount end of his in two w/d and shattered his rear drive shaft just aft of the center bearing last summer.but still would not trade it for any thing else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 08 650h1 blowed 4 diffs broke the main shaft in the motor twice its in the shop now and i run 27" 589s and just trail ride on mine maybe mine is just a lemon.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Heavy tires is what the prowlers dont like , they will turn them with ease but all the weight with the machines combined weight the stock parts cant handle them ive even seen gorillas break . The whole key is throttle control ..its simple .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts