Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says what is the best way to get a efi sled running after it has run out of fuel? step 1 - fill with gas, then? have a 99 zl 500 efi that we are working on . thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Well, that would be great except a 99 zl 500 is a batteryless EFI.

Option 1 - Under the console by the steering post is where the plug for the electric fuel pump is. Unplug it there and then hook up a 12V battery to the pump. Red to + black to -. When you hook up the battery you should hear the pump run. Let it run for 5 to 10 seconds. That should get fuel through the fuel system and it should start normally.

Option 2 - Pull until your arm feels like rubber. Rest. Repeat.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well, that would be great except a 99 zl 500 is a batteryless EFI.

Option 1 - Under the console by the steering post is where the plug for the electric fuel pump is. Unplug it there and then hook up a 12V battery to the pump. Red to + black to -. When you hook up the battery you should hear the pump run. Let it run for 5 to 10 seconds. That should get fuel through the fuel system and it should start normally.

Option 2 - Pull until your arm feels like rubber. Rest. Repeat.
Option 3 - Replace burned ot fuel pump try again...:lol:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That is just a little gear pump and it should not burn it out. I always just put a little gas in the cylinder and start it. never had a problem getting them going.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
That is just a little gear pump and it should not burn it out. I always just put a little gas in the cylinder and start it. never had a problem getting them going.
Well that's good to know. I always just assumed it was like any other car fuel pump and often burned up after running out of fuel.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
The thing is that unlike a car, once the sled runs out of fuel the engine quits, the stator quits making power to run the fuel pump and the fuel pump stops. It doesn't keep running like it would in a car with the key on.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
like the title says what is the best way to get a efi sled running after it has run out of fuel? step 1 - fill with gas, then? have a 99 zl 500 efi that we are working on . thanks in advance

turn the key on, pull the kill switch up, grab the rope and pull.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
More than likely you will have air trapped between the smartvalves and the fuel rail. Pull the supply line at the rail, have helper catch the gas as best they can and pull it over until it shoots fuel a couple good shots. Give it a start, if it starts to rev too high you still have air going to the rail.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Smart valves are suppose to close when there's no fuel. I guess they reset themselves somehow?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i just ran my 02 out of gas last night i pout gas in 2 pulls it didnt start i poulled the plugs so it would pull easy. 8 pulls with no plugs i put the plugs back in it fired up and away we went

1 - 12 of 12 Posts