Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get (or perhaps make) some tools/equipment that is designed for moving/lifting Snowmobiles.

I may want to get more than one style.

Probably will want a lift/cart, a set of dollies and a lift for holding the rear of the sleds off the ground.

I may also want to get one that lifts the entire sled up for doing maint/repairs.

Please let me know which ones you reccomend (and why) and where to buy them for the best price.

I am a fairly capable fabricator and may consider building some of them so I would also appreciate design plans.

Links would be nice.

Thanks, Joel

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Mar-Lift with a slight mod, will be the only one you need. http://www.mar-lift.com/
maybe AG has pics, if not I will post a couple tomorrow

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I will probably want more than one style as I have several sleds to move around.

Have heard good reports on the MarLifts, but if I get one of that style I probably will try to build it instead of buy one.

The Eazymove looks good and seems like it would work well on concrete/pavement, but not so well on grass/gravel. They offer a bigger wheel kit, but how could you get it under the sled from the side if it had big wheels on it?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Here are some pics with my ZRT on my Mar-Lift

[attachment=139002:Mar_Lift1.jpg][attachment=139003:Mar_Lift2.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey Steve, did the easymove come with the girl in the pic? :eek:

I've always wanted to get one of the all-in-one lifts for moving the sleds around, but I'm living with a set of dollies. Don't really need to move outside of the garage, so I don't know if I really need a EasyMove, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Houleigan, I thought you were talking about the Mar Lift that has a sissors type frame.

I may want to buy/build one of each type.

I ordering this http://www.kotulas.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...D-_-1206-_-CONF

They look pretty well made, reviews are generally good and they only cost $35 w/free shiping.

I will want some others, but at least these should make one of the sleds easier to move around.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Houleigan... How did you ever manage to get a long without one for so long? ;)

This is the best dolly on the market IMO... Providing two cheap, easy & essential mods are done.

Not only can it move a sled around at 'regular' heights like other shop dollies, it can do it on snow without the tires sinking. It can raise the front high enough so you can work on engine, clutches or carbs without bending over (hard on my back :lol:). It can raise the rear high enough to swap skids, tracks, install studs, etc. with the ease of sitting in a chair. Add a trailer ball coupler to it, and it can be a sled rescue vehicle. It is heavy duty, you're not going to bend or break it. IMO it is the ultimate dolly. After having mine since '98, ALL OTHER dollies I've ever seen are not better built, more capable, etc... None of the others compare. I wouldn't trade my Mar-Lift for 3 of the others available!!!

:chug:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.

I have seen the lift plans and my try building one of those when I have some spare time.

Am currently most interested in one of the Type that AG has, as I need to be able to move sleds over gravel/grass.

AG. Looks like it works great on newer sleds, but will the one you have fit under older sleds that have much less suspension travel than the newer sleds?

It looks like the tires are a good bit taller than the clearance between some of my sleds and the ground.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (El Tigre FA @ Nov 19 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
AG. Looks like it works great on newer sleds, but will the one you have fit under older sleds that have much less suspension travel than the newer sleds?[/b]
Yes. In fact, the first time I ever seen a shop dolly in my life was at the dealer we used to have in the 70's, and he hauled my old Cheetah and all my El Tigres around his facility with Mar-Lifts. They did not use forklifts back then... The Mar-Lift was the de-facto standard of those times. Today the market has plenty of flimsy over-priced cheap stuff IMO, but Mar-Lift still produces these heavy-duty dollies. Once you have the Mar-Lift, you will realize the others cannot compare. Best one out there, others are toy-like in comparison. IMO.

The height of the tires is irrelevant for loading sleds with short travel suspension or low ground clearance. Because when you lift the rear bar so the side tubes are vertical, the front lift arms are on the ground.

The tires have a standard bearing bore ID, I think it was 5/8 or 3/4, can't remember for sure. But basically this means you can swap for different wheel sizes. Larger diameter, wider footprint etc., wheels are the choice because it makes it easy to roll over soft surfaces like lawns, snow, gravel, etc. All the dollies with skinny tiny little wheels are useless in the outdoors because the weight of the sled pushes the puny wheels right into the soft terrain. Even the ones with bicycle wheels are no good, because they're too narrow for the weight of sleds on soft terrain. If you have an old pair of skis, I can't see why this dolly couldn't be used to tow/haul over snow. All it would take is to ensure the sled is straped down so it can't move around on the dolly and come off.

The Mar-Lift in the pics above has been modified. The side tubing has been lengthened so the rear bar can be pushed down behind the sled, to provide higher lift than stock form because it can by-pass the seat. This is what causes the sled to be lifted much higher than a stock Mar-Lift dolly, and is what makes it more versatile as it now becomes a useful lift that lifts the sled high enough to wrench on.

In stock form, the rear tube of the lift can only go down as far as the top of the seat. It is fine in that form but less useful. All I had to do was cut the side tubes and insert thick wall iron pipe inside the tubes and pin them with 1/4" bolts. That was all it took. The long pipe can be taken out and the lift can be restored to stock length with short pipe but there's really no point. The lengthened version is so much handier than stock form. I wish Mar-Lift got the idea somehow to make telescopic adjustable side tubes for this purpose... They'd have the market cornered in lifts if they patented the idea.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I have moved with the same lift, a 2007 F800, 2001 ZL600, 1998 ZRT, and my 1972 Cheetah (just have to have a longer tiedown for the back)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A G (and Houleigan) thanks for the additional info.

I had misidentified the type of lift it is. When I saw one of your earlier photos, I thought it was the type that you slide in under from the side. I now realize (watched the video at Marlift.com) that I was just seeing a piece of plywood that you had put onto the pads.

Any reason I can't build one using the same basic design. I have some old spindles/wheels/tires from the front of an old lawn mower that look like they would work well.

I have a bunch of thin wall 1.5" tubing that I may use to mock up and test for pivot points etc. but is probably not strong enough for actual use.

What size (diameter/thickness) tubing would you reccomend I use?

Any design details that are not obvious from the photos?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts