Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took sled out for the first time this week. And stock headlights are terrible. My sled is 2018 zr 8000. My son has 2018 8000 rr with factory led lights. They work fine. Has anybody put in aftermarket led light and do they make a big difference

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking the whole lightning assembly or do they have a bulb assembly. You have part number

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looks maybe? I Personally would start with adjusting the light correctly. I had a 15 and it was ok once set to spec. But my 18 was 20 times better. LED was twice as good as the standard 18 light. I think I got it for around $225.00 from my dealer. 20% discount first year deal. Never going back now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why not add a led light bar?

I seen a couple of skidoo with the light bar and just don’t like the look. Probably works awesome. One of the guys we ride with has a skidoo 900 ace turbo and his lights are unbelievable bright. He said he got dealer to put in leds. He doesn’t know if they are skidoo leds or aftermarket. He’s going to find out this week for me. It was a 225 dollar upgrade. They are so much brighter than my sons leds on his RR. I did adjust my head lights but it didn’t even come close to the skidoo setup.

·
Super Moderator
8,661 Posts
I'd be curious to see how he did the LED lights in the Doo. It might be a viable solution on your 18 without going to a whole new assembly.

Does the 18 have DC power at the lights? I had to run rectifiers on my 17 with LED bulbs. It could also be a factor if you try using the Cat LED.

I do like the look of the Cat LED and the light is OK. I wouldn't call it a game changer. It would be easier to use the Cat LED with a quick adjust setup. Beam adjustment is critical and riding conditions change with gear etc. I will probably put on my own quick adjuster with my Cat LED lights.

BTW, if you add the Cat LED lights, verify they have warranty. I had one element that started to flicker and eventually die. Not a simple bulb replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Many people have retro fitted them to the older models. As long as it is a ctec2, it is pretty easy. Just do a search.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I seen a couple of skidoo with the light bar and just don’t like the look. Probably works awesome. One of the guys we ride with has a skidoo 900 ace turbo and his lights are unbelievable bright. He said he got dealer to put in leds. He doesn’t know if they are skidoo leds or aftermarket. He’s going to find out this week for me. It was a 225 dollar upgrade. They are so much brighter than my sons leds on his RR. I did adjust my head lights but it didn’t even come close to the skidoo setup.
I can understand the look but there are many places and ways to mount them, and then you always have back up OEM lights, which I see being a plus, if ever something happened?
so, was just a option to think about IMO!

·
Super Moderator
8,661 Posts
They only work for the new body style. My sled is a 2016 and the dealer said they don't fit:sad
The OEM style is not a direct fit for that hood.
You also have the older style reflector housing with the larger spread between hi/low beams. Still not sure if that machine has DC power at the headlights though.
I put a set of LED lights into the original fixture with the updated reflector. I had AC power at the lights and did need to add rectifiers. The output spread was more even with the LED lights. Distance didn't seem to increase.
You do have a some options. Verify power and add LED lights to your current housing. There are many bulb options if you go that route. Light color(Kelvin rating) is also a factor with LED bulbs. There is more reflection from snow dust with high color. Your current headlight housing would also benefit more with a multiple emitter bulb. LED emitters are direct projection and not omni-directional. H4 LED bulbs will fit the housing fine. Many of them are fan cooled and require some modification of the rubber grommet behind the bulb.
It is also possible to find a decent price on the updated reflector housing and try halogen with that housing. You can always convert those to LED bulbs.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The OEM style is not a direct fit for that hood.
You also have the older style reflector housing with the larger spread between hi/low beams. Still not sure if that machine has DC power at the headlights though.
I put a set of LED lights into the original fixture with the updated reflector. I had AC power at the lights and did need to add rectifiers. The output spread was more even with the LED lights. Distance didn't seem to increase.
You do have a some options. Verify power and add LED lights to your current housing. There are many bulb options if you go that route. Light color(Kelvin rating) is also a factor with LED bulbs. There is more reflection from snow dust with high color. Your current headlight housing would also benefit more with a multiple emitter bulb. LED emitters are direct projection and not omni-directional. H4 LED bulbs will fit the housing fine. Many of them are fan cooled and require some modification of the rubber grommet behind the bulb.
It is also possible to find a decent price on the updated reflector housing and try halogen with that housing. You can always convert those to LED bulbs.
He has a 6000,which means the HEADLIGHT will work with modifications and the new led wiring harness. All Ctecs will accept the light without needing a rectifier.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve been watching a few videos on YouTube on leds and some of the newer leds have heat sink strips to dissipate heat. Has anybody here used these. Is there enough air flow under hood to make these work properly. Do you still use rubber boot around housing or do you have to mod boot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,661 Posts
He has a 6000,which means the HEADLIGHT will work with modifications and the new led wiring harness. All Ctecs will accept the light without needing a rectifier.
Good to know with the DC power.

Do you have any idea what needs to be changed on the headlight assembly? It would be nice information for anyone wanting to put the newer headlights on the old style hoods.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good to know with the DC power.

Do you have any idea what needs to be changed on the headlight assembly? It would be nice information for anyone wanting to put the newer headlights on the old style hoods.
Not sure if were supposed to link to other forums but theres a good thread on hcs detailing the process.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lights

I read a post somewhere that suggested to add a removable light to your helmet rather than modify your sled. The poster claimed that it gave a superior night riding experience as the helmet mounted LED shone where you were looking!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts