Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I got a good deal on some Ebay purchased brake pads, but after only 21 miles I already have metal on metal. They were the carbon kevlar brake pads.

So what material do you guys use or recommend? I got over 800 miles on the factory pads, but I've also read several bad reviews since then and they are on the expensive side last I checked. So that leaves ceramic or the sintered metal kind. I get real good results on all the ceramic pads I use in my vehicles. I do ride in alot of sand so I know that'll effect wear. Suggestions?

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
I use the cheap eBay sintered metal going on my second season

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Just to rub it in, I've never replaced a set of brake pads on any ATV I've owned, The 400 M I traded off had about 4000 miles on it. An old 220 Kawasaki Bijou I once owned had over 8000 miles. The Tcat I have now has 2500-2800 miles and the 650 has about 2000 miles on it.

Then again I'm NOT a mud hole rider and will avoid mud holes when given a chance. Myself I get zero enjoyment from deep water and mud pits when riding, Rock crawling and trail riding is the thrill for me, LOL

Attachments

Reactions: Turkeytoe

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Wyo lol.

I ended up getting a set of the sintered metal pads off of Ebay and have a ride planned for the weekend, so I guess I'll see how much they wear.

I hardly ever use the brake, so I'm amazed at how fast they wear. Do you think there might be too much pressure on the pads from that self setting design???

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Thanks Wyo lol.

I ended up getting a set of the sintered metal pads off of Ebay and have a ride planned for the weekend, so I guess I'll see how much they wear.

I hardly ever use the brake, so I'm amazed at how fast they wear. Do you think there might be too much pressure on the pads from that self setting design???
Mud will build up behind the pads preventing them from relaxing. Also worn rough rotors will wear out new pads quicker. There have been many who reline their old pads with 2" wide brake pad material from McMaster Carr and gluing it on with a high temperature epoxy such as JB Weld. You can get enough pad material and JB weld to maybe do 10 sets for the same price as 1 set of premium replace pads. There are old threads discussing the pro and cons on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I may need new rotors then. Mine are pretty rough at the moment, but I'm strapped for cash until the semester is over and I graduate. I tried hitting them with the grinder when I put the other pads on, but couldn't get all the scratches out.

I remember reading that thread about re-lining the pads, I may start doing that if these new ones don't last long.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
If your rotors are warped even slightly it will cause premature wear as well

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I bought some cheap pads for my foot brake (non hydraulic) and one is worn almost completely down and the other is about 1/2 worn. I dont even use my foot brake that much and it is adjusted correctly. I started hearing some brake noise when I noticed this problem. I now know NOT to buy the cheap eBay pads especially is they wore that fast on a brake I don't really use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts