Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
please help sick tiger

I have a 1981 eltigre 5000 f/c I just recently purchased. It had sat for quite a long time. I have completly cleaned out the dual carbs and set them at the required initial settings. , installed fresh plugs, installed a new fuel pump and a new inline fuel filter. I checked the exhaust and airbox for bug or mouse nests all looks clear. Im mixing the fuel at 4oz of oil per gallon of 91 octane.
The machine starts easily enough but it has not much power in low end, it bogs down easy in snow and it only tops out at roughly 55 miles per hour, if I disconnect the air box I can get 60 MPH. The plugs are black and wet indicating to me a too rich mixture. Could some one please tell me where to go from here? would leaning out the air screws fix this problem? Or is there something else Im over looking?
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
please help sick tiger

I have a 1981 eltigre 5000 f/c I just recently purchased. It had sat for quite a long time. I have completly cleaned out the dual carbs and set them at the required initial settings. , installed fresh plugs, installed a new fuel pump and a new inline fuel filter. I checked the exhaust and airbox for bug or mouse nests all looks clear. Im mixing the fuel at 4oz of oil per gallon of 91 octane.
The machine starts easily enough but it has not much power in low end, it bogs down easy in snow and it only tops out at roughly 55 miles per hour, if I disconnect the air box I can get 60 MPH. The plugs are black and wet indicating to me a too rich mixture. Could some one please tell me where to go from here? would leaning out the air screws fix this problem? Or is there something else Im over looking?
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Will flipping the choke help the low end bog?

If it does, then turning the air screws in slightly may solve the problem. If you manage to have them bottomed and there is no change, then it is likely that the pilot jet is still clogged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure what you mean by flipping the choke. I know when I did flip the lever into the choke position the egine started to die, and as far as the pilot jet being still clogged I did take the jets out and reemed out the passages real good so I dont think thats the problem. Im not real sure that the enrichners are adjusted properly. I adjusted the cable to 1/16 inch end play, like book says but that didnt change anything so I adjusted it to 1/8inch still no change. But Im not sure if Im doing it proper the book dosent really explain it well.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Does your enrichiner plunger's slide easy? Are they completely closing when off? They can be touchy. There is a little rubber pad on the bottom of the plungers that should seal when they are closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the enrichner slides easy. I think I discovered the problem today. My lights and tach stopped working today. I had replaced the lighting coil when I first bought the sled and I didnt check to make sure the wires would clear the flywheel shaft, well low and behold they were rubbing and shorting out all the while and finally burned thru today. So Im thinking I was having an electrical issue all along. Ill know when I install a new coil. But thank you every one for the input. Ill let you know if this fixes it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts