Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to turn around on a dead end logging road with no room. While doing some reversing 3pt turn around I managed to bent my steering tie rod into a nice U shape. I wasn't reefing on it either.

Anywho, I'm not finding much in the way of after market stronger tie rods out there. Has anyone else bent theirs?

This is the tie rod from the steering post the runs right past the oil jug.

It a hollow tube, so I wonder if I could pound in a solid shaft to beef it up some. It's going to bent a lot easier now even though I've straightned it up.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think the tubing will be stronger than the solid shaft. One way of looking at it is that you are bending an inexpensive easily assessable piece. If you go with a stronger tie-rod you may bend something that is harder to replace.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
they're like 8.99 @ dealer, stock up!!!

I just bent my left pretty easily & bought two just for fun.

·
Registered
317 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tek @ Jan 2 2007, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the tubing will be stronger than the solid shaft. One way of looking at it is that you are bending an inexpensive easily assessable piece. If you go with a stronger tie-rod you may bend something that is harder to replace.[/b]
exactly, thats the way it works, you make one link stonger in the chain and it will be a different link that breaks. But if ya want to do it, you could just make your own, as you can buy the ends and have new rods cut out of tubing. Much stronger but as we said earlier something more exspensive next time. JMHO.

Oh and remember that system is designed for the most stregnth moving forward not backwards. Reverse is nice but it does have its draw backs.

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts