Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
there are cracks 100% from the impact,
and again, the issue is not what you see now, but what you cannot see, stress cracks from a very hard impact can make all sorts of weakness in steel throughout the whole atv
so just welding the cracks you found NOW< doesn't mean the atv is a solid machine afterwards could be a ticking time bomb that can fail at any point
NOT trying to scare anyone here, just stating facts and giving OP something to think about, before making a decision!

IF this atv went to an insurance claim, they would total it, due to the condition of the frame right now, due to they wouldn;'t take the liability of letting it be drive again !

there again is a big difference in a small HIT/ impact, and a BIG hit/impact

and if this atv went 30 ft in the air and then landed, that's a BIG impact and again can have many unknown issues that will come to surface if atv is used again, and could be dangerous when they do!
yes read above the machine slid 15ft and the OP flew 30 feet...

·
Administrator
7,984 Posts
My brother hit a small tree on a narrow "atv" trail. Left front tire hit hard. Called insurance and they paid for a new frame plus the bent A-arm's and the dealer to swap everything over. Dealer had to cut the frame up into pieces so that it couldnt be used again. If you have insurance, use it. If not, its gonna cost you a pretty penny. Welding is an option only if it drives straight now. I highly doubt it does. Did the handle bars seem straight as you drove it out of the woods? I would suspect that the A- arms are bent and the frame is twisted in other areas as well. These machines cost an arm and a leg, I always insure them. It is very affordable.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
OK MY mistake, he said HE flew 30 ft, not the ATV, I miss read that!

and YES a bent frame isn;'t the end of the world some times
BUT< , pending HOW It got bent , make a difference in what could be wrong or not!

frames are under a lot of tension at time s when there made, so when you try to repair them, things many times DON"T got back to where they should be unless you have special skills and tools to correct properly

this is why Cutting a frame and replacing pieces can be very difficult, getting things back into alignment!

and this again is why most all INS company's will TOTAL a vehicle when the frame gets damages, or cracks like this

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well said and Thank you to everybody in the community for replying. I’m new to this website and I’ve only on the wheeler for a few years. And generally cautious as I spent 15 years doing rescues and meta-VAX out of the back of a helicopter while living in California. I was a cheap flight nurse for at least a couple of years. So, SAFETY was always my number one concern.

ANYONE… thoughts on the photos that I posted?

I was told by the service manager at an arctic cat dealer that the labor would be about $2000 to replace the frame and probably one a arm. Does that sound about right?
Doesnt look like any concern on the frame. Also, its medivac, not meta-vax.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts