Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Alterra Xt-EPS 700cc

I for some odd reason slid off of a trail in Alaska while hunting Caribou. There was a sudden stoppage once the vehicle hit the mud embankment.
I flew off. Neck/shoulder pain and. A concussion.
I just took my machine to an Arctic Cat Dealer and they found TINY paint chips near two pieces of metal that they stated that proved that the frame was broken.
Any recourse??
Am I screwed?

txs!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The answer may be getting a new frame and swapping everything over. Not cheap, but much less than a new ATV. If you had ATV insurance, they might pay to repair. If you hit that hard, you are lucky to be alive!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
do you have insurance on it,??
if so, use it and replace it, save you a lot of headaches IMO
and a good reason why folks should have it, its cheap to have and times like this priceless!

when you have enough impact to bend a frame, odds are it could have many other issue's that pop up down the road, from broken/stressed welds, to other things, as its about impossible to inspect the whole ATV 100%

swapping frames is the best way to salvage an atv with a bent frame if you want it 100% correct again

as in life there are always short cuts to, repairs, as well, but they don't always work out or last long!
some times things will some times they won't
I have seen folks cut and weld frames, heat and bend back as best they can and so on, but none are the correct way to fix things
most still end up with odd steering and tire wear issue's as its so hard to get things straight again, pending what all is bent

take a close look at your steering parts and handle bars , as they also tend to get tweaked in roll overs, and then show up as time passes!, same with checking wheel bearings

best of luck to you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Txs for all the help/replies. Only my front L wheel struck the side of a hard packed mud ravine (dry draw). It was like 15 ft down and I flew 30 ft like Superman sans the cape nor fun!

how do I post photos?
Thank you-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zoom in to see cracks. Esp on the bottom on where the vertical bar meets the horizontal bar. You will note a crack towards the front (L) on the bike as you view the photo.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
like Is aid, the problem tends to be all the cracks and things that got bent that you cannot see right now, as might be under paint and just be stress cracks that will grow as time passes
the proper fix is a new frame, , or a good used one

but that is a lot of work to swap over, but is the correct way to resolve this and have a solid atv again!

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Before you rely on what your dealer is telling you as they may be just tying to get some easy work.... take it for a ride see how it rides, grab a buddy and a tape messure and do some measurements. My 2015 had the same paint missing from those areas and the frame was never broke it was more from poor quality paint and flexing of the machine. Only thing i can see is the mount does not look like it got fully welded on the bottom and cracked the weld slightly i can see nothing on the second pic

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
It's hard to see in the pictures but the paint does not adhere to the weld material as well as on the pipe itself. Measure wheelbase to give you a better idea. A couple of years ago i fixed a slightly bent frame on a 400. I had access to a shop with floor tiedowns and was able to straighten it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
if the atv took a 30 ft in the air impact, that is the area for worries about things being wrong else where , like stress cracks and or things UNDER paint you cannot see, soon to go bad!

as a impact from that is a HARD sudden STOP and ask yourself what is your peace of mind and your safety worth!
there is a BIG difference in HOW things bend and crack, but when your dealing with HARD impact's, its a BIG difference than bumping into something lightly and a slight bend some place specific
an atv is not a LIGHT object, and when you get all that weight in motion, energy from a sudden stop can do BAD things!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if the atv took a 30 ft in the air impact, that is the area for worries about things being wrong else where , like stress cracks and or things UNDER paint you cannot see, soon to go bad!

as a impact from that is a HARD sudden STOP and ask yourself what is your peace of mind and your safety worth!
there is a BIG difference in HOW things bend and crack, but when your dealing with HARD impact's, its a BIG difference than bumping into something lightly and a slight bend some place specific
an atv is not a LIGHT object, and when you get all that weight in motion, energy from a sudden stop can do BAD things!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well said and Thank you to everybody in the community for replying. I’m new to this website and I’ve only on the wheeler for a few years. And generally cautious as I spent 15 years doing rescues and meta-VAX out of the back of a helicopter while living in California. I was a cheap flight nurse for at least a couple of years. So, SAFETY was always my number one concern.

ANYONE… thoughts on the photos that I posted?

I was told by the service manager at an arctic cat dealer that the labor would be about $2000 to replace the frame and probably one a arm. Does that sound about right?

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Zooming in on the picture i only see a crack in the first picture lower part of the mount... could have been a poor weld to begin with and anybody with welding skills could fix that right up.... I will give cat one thing they make a good strong frame. When i had mine i tagged several logs at speed that swung the machine right around and set me flying, Also tagged a tree after taking a jump and the jump sent the machine in the wrong direction.. Machine looked like it was screwed but i loosed all the bolts in the front end and everything popped right back into position. Rode it several more years before selling... Iv hit things way faster than you were going and never bent the frame or at least not enough to notice... Give it a good cleaning and get a good flashlight, tape mesure and go over the machine. Betting a quick weld to fix that bad weld and your off and running

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The pictures look much better than I would expect. The dealer may be a bit overly cautious due to liability issues.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
there are cracks 100% from the impact,
and again, the issue is not what you see now, but what you cannot see, stress cracks from a very hard impact can make all sorts of weakness in steel throughout the whole atv
so just welding the cracks you found NOW< doesn't mean the atv is a solid machine afterwards could be a ticking time bomb that can fail at any point
NOT trying to scare anyone here, just stating facts and giving OP something to think about, before making a decision!

IF this atv went to an insurance claim, they would total it, due to the condition of the frame right now, due to they wouldn;'t take the liability of letting it be drive again !

there again is a big difference in a small HIT/ impact, and a BIG hit/impact

and if this atv went 30 ft in the air and then landed, that's a BIG impact and again can have many unknown issues that will come to surface if atv is used again, and could be dangerous when they do!

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,089 Posts
there are cracks 100% from the impact,
and again, the issue is not what you see now, but what you cannot see, stress cracks from a very hard impact can make all sorts of weakness in steel throughout the whole atv
so just welding the cracks you found NOW< doesn't mean the atv is a solid machine afterwards could be a ticking time bomb that can fail at any point
NOT trying to scare anyone here, just stating facts and giving OP something to think about, before making a decision!

IF this atv went to an insurance claim, they would total it, due to the condition of the frame right now, due to they wouldn;'t take the liability of letting it be drive again !

there again is a big difference in a small HIT/ impact, and a BIG hit/impact

and if this atv went 30 ft in the air and then landed, that's a BIG impact and again can have many unknown issues that will come to surface if atv is used again, and could be dangerous when they do!
To clarify, OP said it slid 15 feet down a ravine into a mud embankment. Hardly the case to total the machine.
Cleaning up some welds won’t cause long term issues. I’ve had some ATVs I’ve repaired with bumpers pushed in, bent frame rails that I’ve repaired and still going strong.

The best way to prevent future issues is to do pre ride checks, routine maintenance and checking over the ATV for worn, loose parts, etc…

1 - 20 of 24 Posts