Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a few days of riding, my Father's 1996 ZRT threw a bearing on an idler wheel and so I gave him my '01 ZR800 to ride. After the first trip his shoulders were pretty sore, and come to think about it mine are too a lot of times after a good ride.

I've noticed the dramatic difference in the angle of the handle bars between his mid-90's sled and my early 2000's sleds.

Anyone know the purpose why Cat did this. The mid-90's bars are so comfortable... Since we talked about it, the more I ride my sleds the more the wide handle bars were bugging me. Anyone stripped the bars down and bent them in some?

Either bending them or replacing them all together, something has to change. I'm not a small guy at 6ft tall 230lbs, but I feel that the reach between the grips is wide enough that it's out of my range of comfort, and I'm reaching out to far, if that makes any sense... What say you?I dunno

·
Registered
566 Posts
Never heard of anyone bending them on purpose but a lot of guys, myself included have changed handlebars to something more desirable for our riding style. I put mountain cat bars on mine with 2incher riser, It's the same as stock bars and an 8inch riser.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Never heard of anyone bending them on purpose but a lot of guys, myself included have changed handlebars to something more desirable for our riding style. I put mountain cat bars on mine with 2incher riser, It's the same as stock bars and an 8inch riser.
Yea my T-cat is a 136" with the mountain cat bars, but the height isn't the issue, it's the width of the grips from each other. Sit on a older sled and you'll see what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 01 zr800 with 3" bar risers and I found that the bars caused my shoulders to wear down after a good day of riding since then I have replaced my stock bars with a set of fly after market bars and wow what a difference. Well worth the money

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't know about snowmobiles but I used to do a lot of mountain biking and bars would come with various sweep angles. Riser bars had different amounts of rise and sweep and combined with the length and rise of the stem you could taylor your ride to you liking. I imagine motorcycles are the same and snowmobiles should be the same too. I don't know what is available for aftermarket bars for snowmobiles but it sounds like a couple of guys have made some suggestions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know about snowmobiles but I used to do a lot of mountain biking and bars would come with various sweep angles. Riser bars had different amounts of rise and sweep and combined with the length and rise of the stem you could taylor your ride to you liking. I imagine motorcycles are the same and snowmobiles should be the same too. I don't know what is available for aftermarket bars for snowmobiles but it sounds like a couple of guys have made some suggestions.
Yep I looked over both sites they have mentioned, but there are a lot of choices! Just wondering which ones they were using....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.