Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Blew belt this weekend while mudding. Was wondering if anybody can suggest a good severe duty aftermarket one or should I just stick to Arctic Cat belts?

09 TRV 1000, MP Snorkels, 2" RTR Lift, 28" Outlaw MST's, stock clutching

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
something must be wrong in your clutches.....shouldnt be blowing belts period....Those tires arent big or aggressive nor do cats blow belts usually.

Oem belts are best.

Ive never broke a belt and ive ran much heavier and bigger agressive tires, something isnt right

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I agree with Savage, something's not right in there.

·
Administrator
42,080 Posts
We're you in high?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're you in high?
Running in Low. Was stuck pretty good. No indication when belt broke, just smoke out the snorkel and nothing.
Clean break in the belt. Only 400 miles on it. Jammed up the secondary pretty good as well. Talk about a hard tow home, espically getting towed by an XMR 1000 lol.
Now that I think about it the only change I did make to the clutches was to remove the shim in the primary that the TRV's come with. Thats it. Ran fine all the day before and right up until the belt broke.
Maybe I just got lucky and got a bad belt I dunno

·
Administrator
42,080 Posts
Did it get wet by any chance?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
still...ive had my first belt wet 10 times...and been plenty buried. Really the belt should almost never snap specially with that few of miles. Either it was a bad belt or something is wrong

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it get wet by any chance?
That was my first thought as well. Clutch side was sitting in water for awhile when I was stuck. Really noticed something was up while getting towed out. Had some pretty steep hills to go down, tried sticking it in hi for the engine braking downhill and the back wheels locked up. Belt had jammed between primary and secondary when it broke (which I discovered after I got home and took the cover off) But she was dry as a bone inside.

Hopefully it was just a bad belt. If you guys think the cat belts are the best I'll try a new one and go from there.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You must of got a bad belt. Go OEM 100% People are running some nasty built machines and they all say OEM for the win.

Reactions: mudproalex

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oem belt for sure unless you like changing your belt every weekend. LOL. I agree its weird you broke it in the first place but maybe it was just one of those freaky things. If you break the second one then you know you have other issues.

·
Registered
2011 mp1000, 30"terminators, 3" highlifter lift, fuelcommanderV with autotune. swampseries xl
28 Posts
I took my mud pro 1000 in for warranty, the clutch was too noisy for my liking. The dealer told me it was noisy because of the shim in the primary and it was normal. He also told me I needed a new belt because mine was worn and threads were showing. He recommended a heavier aftermarket performance belt.

What do you guys think? The machine is stock other than a hmf muffler. I've only had the machine 6 months and has 700 kms / approx 500 miles

·
Administrator
42,080 Posts
If your mudding in high range it is a lot harder on belts. OEM is the only way to go for belts.
Get a new dealer ..... Quick !!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
If your mudding in high range it is a lot harder on belts. OEM is the only way to go for belts.
Get a new dealer ..... Quick !!
What he said^^^^^^
:)

·
Registered
2011 mp1000, 30"terminators, 3" highlifter lift, fuelcommanderV with autotune. swampseries xl
28 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I called the dealer and requested that only an arctic cat oem belt be installed. I also asked to keep the old belt as a spare.

What I am having a hard time getting my head around is I haven't done much mudding with my machine. Mostly trail riding in 2wd and even when I put it in water or mud I mostly left it in 2 until I got it stuck, then I used 4wd to get out. Never anything too hairy. I just think it's crazy how fast the belt wore down

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Heat is an issue with belts in general. I know that mine will squeal when I stop if I've been driving slow over terrain for any length time.

·
Administrator
42,080 Posts
2 or 4 wheel doesn't matter use low range more often it helps

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
likely wasnt worn ....dealer likely just wanted money

·
Administrator
8,065 Posts
I had a belt that was worn a bit. It was the quad that handled the snow plowing and sometimes my kids arent the wisest when it comes to pushing snow and being smart with the quad. Only way i knew it needed to be replaced was that the clutches were sticking a little on take off. yeah they were covered in belt dust. new belt and clean clutches and back in business again. Belt still looked good but it was time to replace it.
OEM for ME

·
Registered
162 Posts
been 2yrs on over 120hp and just changed belt this week, and was still in spec.this is my trv 1000.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.