Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys does anyone know what could be wrong with my wheeler ?? Every once in a while the belt will squeel or bark like it is slipping at really slow speeds in high range, is there any adjustments that can be made or do I need to buy a new belt ?? Also what is the color spring that goes in the secondary clutch to help it get more bottom end power. I do have 26" XTR's on it and am going to be installing a clutch kit someday. I also have over 1700 miles on it and never once has the belt gotten wet, there never has been moisture come out of the drain hole when I took it out thinking it was wet. Also does anyone have advice on which belt to get the stock Cat belt or a Gates or Carlilse, the Gates is the cheapest and then the Carlilse, the Cat belt is spendy compared to those 2.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT Does anyone have any ideas ? or advice, I am wondering if there is any adjustment on the belt that I could make to fix without buying a new belt

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
might want to take the cover off, inspect, blow out excess belt dust, take belt off and rough up the edge with some scuffing with sand paper, check proper width of belt, make sure clutch faces (where the belt rides) is smooth/clean and reinstall belt.
the belts are kinda pricey and from what i hear (on here and dealer) very rarely need replacing on the 400/500's. might want to search around here, find what the stock or new width of a belt is and compair to your width (michrometor if you have one)

as for spring, can't help ya there but check out speedwerx (site sponcer) for a bit stiffer secondary spring. good people there, give them a call and they should be able to point you in the right direction for just a spring change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
my belt will squeel or slip in high range if the engine is idling a little fast when I put it in gear. I had to idle her down abit to prevent this from happening.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check with speedwerks on a spring kit for the secondary, thanks. I noticed after riding my buddys 500 manual tranny that mine seems to act like it is in 3rd gear when I take off, thats why I figured maybe the belt is toast and needs replacing, it has no bottom end at all any more, I also plowed snow with it for the last 2 winters so I haven't been to easy on it in that respect

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
you may have to clean the clutch from all the belt dust.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya thats the first thing I will do and I ordered a new belt just because if I have it apart I might as well put in a new one and keep the old one for a spare then..and I might as well put in the spring into the secondary that will give me my bottom end back

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
you might as well snorkel it once you have it apart :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe, I was thinking about it, just not that hard.. I'll see whats all involved in that once I get it apart and I probably have all the PVC pipe already being I'm still working on my house inside.. I may have all the stuff to do it..Belt fix first so I can ride next weekend with the locals around here..I am getting a Carlilse belt for it for just a bit over 50 bucks from my buddy down the road who is the small engine mechanic through one of his parts distributers

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Yeah, I'd clean out that belt housing, clean the sheaves and give 'er a good once over. I took my H1 clutch cover off and found some greasy crap in there. No good. Not sure if it was water or oil, so I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and reassembled and will see where that gets me. I'll be inspecting it after I put some miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a ? tho on the clutch springs for any one who knows, if I change the spring in the secondary to a stiffer one does that help with a lower powerband and making it not so boggy on the bottom end, being you stiffen the secondary it should run in like a lower gear longer before trying to go faster in a higher gear am I not right ?? Kind of different compared to my snowmoblie as to how the clutches work on this thing.. I was thinking about getting a yellow spring from EPI for the secondary since I found one for under 20 bucks new. maybe it would help out the slower speeds to run it in high range instead of low all the time in the woods.. I dunno

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good deal now all I need to know is what the specs are on the stock secondary spring so I can try a spring a little stiffer, I called my dealer today and the Mechanic didn't have any idea what the stock specs are on it, so I am back to sq. one. I tried calling speedwerx today but no anwser there..Maybe they would know..

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Call there during the day (they close at 5pm central). Jeremy is the guy who typically hops on here, so ask for him. I've dealt with him in person...good guy.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I PM'd them last night and got my answer this morning on the stock spring specs, I also found greasy crap in and around the housing, I too am stumped as to what it is sincve it feels kind of greasy but it rinses with water pretty easy, must be a concocktion of water and belt dust, I too am going to just clean it out and see what happens, My new belt came this morning so I tore it down, what a pain in the :moon: to get it apart, had to take the footpeg off, the foot brake lever and rip those cheasy fender buttons out to get it to move enough to remove the cover. Good luck trying to do that in the woods with limited tools, wow bang your head Guess I know what tools to pack on a long ride now. Full socket sets both 1/4 and 3/8 inch drive with swivels. I wonder if the greasy crap could be oil from the tranny shaft seal or even the crank seal ? I dunno

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Jimmer, I had the same stuff in mine. I took both clutches off and nothing seemed to jump out as a culprit, so I'm hoping it was just water and belt dust. I'm going to run it around a while, then recheck it and see if it comes back.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To get the clutches off do you just remove the nuts holding them on or what. Does the primary outside half come off when you remove the nut ? and on the secondary just take the nut off to remove the entire clutch from the shaft ? Never had it apart before so not sure what to do, I hate to break something...also are the shafts splined or tapered ? I am going to check out the seals behind the clutches to see if i can see anything signifying them leaking or not, hope it isn't anything major. If it is it goes to the dealer for fixing...maybe they will warantee part of it or something since it is good till Nov.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Just bring a strap, a truck and a trailer

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrazyYooper @ Apr 3 2007, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just bring a strap, a truck and a trailer[/b]
The strap I have, the truck and trailer are only a phone call away.. :beer_cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts