Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently put on a new belt after I rebuilt my motor last year. everything was good until I stopped and I had some belt squeal. the sled would then want to lurch forward. I assume its because the belt was new and it would go away...well its still there after a few weekends of use. when the squeal happens at stop, I can sway myself left and right and the squeal will stop about 50% of the time. Thinking I'm having clutch problems while during deceleration or going slow. It also squeals when I tow the kids on a sled real slow around the yard. I also had this issue this weekend as well. my sled was bogging down while running well. Was going about 40 mph when it bogged down to nothing. thought maybe I blew it up again, so popped out the plugs and checked compression with the thumb on the trail...both seemed good. put plugs in and started back up, but would die. Rotated the clutches, both primary and secondary with my hand, fired it back up and it ran good again, enough to make it back the 20 miles to the cabin. it stalled one more time and I had to roll the clutches again. I assume I'm having clutch problems, but would it be the primary or the secondary? or something else? Any thoughts would be great,
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same issue with my f6,turned out my secondary was shot.
It was binding on the bushing and not shifting out.
I would take it apart and check the bushings, you dont want more than .015 clearance. You can do this with a good pair of dial indacators.
If you have a service manual it tells how to check and replace the bushings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found a used secondary on craigslist, and popped that in. I noticed on the old, the helix? had a notch on one of the arms, so it wasnt smooth.

Worked great this weekend, no cutting out. had a little belt sqeal again, i think i need to add some more shims or washers . seems like when the secondary is pulled away from the bearing side the squal goes away. I have a lot of slop moving it back and forth, is this normal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts