Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone. This is my first post on the site, which by the way is excellent source of information. I came across the carb slide mod and tried it-awesome!

My question is this: I have an '05 500 Auto that has only 200 miles on it. I took it trail riding a month ago on some wet trails and thought I heard the belt slip a couple times, but with a helmet and winter gear on wasn't sure if I was hearing things. I rode it around the yard at home later and nothing happened. Last week I took it out on a trail and after half an hour I heard it again. I happens when I take off from a stop and give it full throttle. It is just for a second and then everything is normal. I had it in 2WD High. Has anybody else experienced this, is it normal?

Also, after trail riding the first time, I had to turn the idle up because it was dying whenever I came to a full stop. Prior to that, all the yard work and ice fishing outings I have used the quad for the idle was fine. It seems that right after I turned the idle up, I lost low end power and gained a little top end. This was before I did the carb slide mod. Does this make sense to anybody?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
welcome abord! cant help with the carb but your clutches you might want to take the cover off and blow out the belt dust and check your belt width which i would bet is fine but definately good to inspect once in a while. check you clutches for any wear mark made by the belt also but i would bet that a little belt dust is your culprate on a tiny bit of slipping. 500's are a great machine, bullitproof trans imo.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Are you running stock tires or oversize? If oversize you might want to invest in a EPI spring kit and new belt, if stock like kevin said pull cover and check, its uncommon for a belt under normal use on the 500 to go bad even with many more miles than you have, but with big tires all bets are off, anything can happen. As to your idle screw, it has nothing to do with the running other than at idle and slightly above, as it just adjusts the idle circuit only. could you have adjusted the air screw by mistake? This could raise the idle and effect the running at open throttle. Correct setting for this is with engine warmed up, turn screw in till engine rpm drops then back out to the highest rpm then turn it back in 1/8 turn. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine does the same thing, and it is just the belt getting wet. If that starts happening, put it in neutral, and rev the motor for about 30 seconds. Always works for mine.

Where is Junction City?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J.C.A.C. @ Jan 18 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi to everyone. This is my first post on the site, which by the way is excellent source of information. I came across the carb slide mod and tried it-awesome!

Also, after trail riding the first time, I had to turn the idle up because it was dying whenever I came to a full stop. Prior to that, all the yard work and ice fishing outings I have used the quad for the idle was fine. It seems that right after I turned the idle up, I lost low end power and gained a little top end. This was before I did the carb slide mod. Does this make sense to anybody?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/b]
welcome call to Arctic Chat JCAC!!

It sounds like it is lean on the pilot circuit, possibly just got some debris in the pilot jet, carb may need cleaned. Turning up the idle was just a bandage for the problem. Though it may also just be a lean condition from the colder temps this time of year and the pilot screw needs to be fine tunned like GunRunner described. With the engine fully warm and running turn the pilot screw (in is lean, out is rich) until the engine reaches max RPM without cutting out, then use your idle adjustment knob to set it back to proper idle RPM.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I hear everyone saying proper RPM's when warm. So what is the proper RPM you should be idling at? Mine goes from a lil over 2000 when its around -20ish out, then it drops down to 1000 rpm when warm. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
yes, should idle down to around 950 when it's warmed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts