Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on the Cour d'Alene Polaris ride this weekend & had a pretty good time. We got to the camp site on Saturday & went for a short ride up to Cougar Peak. As I'm riding out of the campsite, I realize the belt light is on. This is on my 2005 650 V2 with 27" ITP Mudlites. The previous owner installed the rims & tires, along with an aftermarket clutch kit... seems like he said it was a pink & black spring?

The last time I rode it was a couple weeks ago & didn't notice the light or any issues at all riding in 12" - 18" deep mud & water. I ended up letting the quad sit till Friday night when I took it to the car wash & pressure washed off all the mud & grass.

So initially I was worried about the light being on, but we weren't hearing any strange noises & the quad still pulls hard & fast without any issues. I figured I would just shred the belt at worst & we'd have to tow it back so we went ahead & rode it. 15 miles on pavement & forest service roads on Saturday. Then 40+ miles on Sunday, pavement, forest service roads, dirt trails, snow, mud, hill climbs, etc. Occasionally I'd think I heard a clunk or something, but I'd never hear it twice. The thing seems to be running fine.

So any idea what the deal is? Is it something I did at the car wash? Can I reset the ECM & see if the light turns on again? Or should I pull the cover for inspection? How do you reset that light?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If it's on solid, and has no limp mode symptoms, it is the maintenance light. It' goes off every 100 hours or so IIRC. There is a reset procedure for it. Try a search for maintenance light or belt light and something should come up.

Later
Moslondrinkr

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! Thanks guys. I'm sure it's a maintenance issue. Like I said, the quad seems to run just fine, pulls great, climbs, no strange noises, etc. The quad has about 170 hours on it now. I've owned it for over a year now & haven't touched the clutch at all so I'm sure it's time to check deflection at the very least.

One comment I should throw in here..... after reading about the 650 V2 belt issues & someone's recommendation to always ride it in low range..... I rarely use high range at all. Even on the pavement I use low range & am very careful in reverse. Hopefully that has bought the belt some time.

The link that Sanny originally posted appears to be down......http://kod.gotdns.com/index.cgi?album=P650...stment_Pictures
Anyone know if it's been reposted or have a printed copy of it?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AirJunky @ Apr 23 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ha! Thanks guys. I'm sure it's a maintenance issue. Like I said, the quad seems to run just fine, pulls great, climbs, no strange noises, etc. The quad has about 170 hours on it now. I've owned it for over a year now & haven't touched the clutch at all so I'm sure it's time to check deflection at the very least.

One comment I should throw in here..... after reading about the 650 V2 belt issues & someone's recommendation to always ride it in low range..... I rarely use high range at all. Even on the pavement I use low range & am very careful in reverse. Hopefully that has bought the belt some time.

The link that Sanny originally posted appears to be down......http://kod.gotdns.com/index.cgi?album=P650...stment_Pictures
Anyone know if it's been reposted or have a printed copy of it?[/b]

Here's a link where Sanny actually provides the whole file he downloaded . I did not want to download the file in this thread as space is at a premium I'm sure. Thanks again Sanny you're awesome.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...st&p=493732

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, printing both articles right about NOW.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carloracer1987 @ Apr 23 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i've never heard of driving in low all the time !!! thats going to be hard on ur atv and then ur ganna start brakin parts[/b]

I rarely drive in low, unless it should be, like mud bogs and pulling. I use my common sense and it hasn't let me down yet.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I also ride mainly in high gear, BUT AC says that it's geared to run around 45mph in low with no problems

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carloracer1987 @ Apr 23 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i've never heard of driving in low all the time !!! thats going to be hard on ur atv and then ur ganna start brakin parts[/b]
Read thru some of the threads about the 2003 - 2004 650 V2 belt slippage problems. There are a number of guys on this site who recommend using low range more than on other quads. Mine is a 2005 & frankly I'm not sure what the differences are, but breaking stuff from using low range isn't an issue at all.
The reason I mentioned it was because I'm also running over sized tires, yet another reason to use low range to help save the belt.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I always ride in low with my 06 650v2 , of course I don't believe I ever ridden faster than 45mph. I would venture to say 99%of my riding is in low and my cat is awesome , no issues here. The 06's also have the 4.0 gears which is easier on the belt. The bottom line is we drive in low to save the belt, I don't drive fast so whats high gear , if I've been in high more than a handful of times I would be surprised.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled the belt cover on the V2 tonite & this is what I found.
- Kawasaki belt.... in about pristine condition. The inside was totally clean.
- Green spring (primary, right?)
- Belt deflection at 1.25" or more.

Considering the light was on for the last 40 mile ride, it looks like I'm getting away with one here.

The green spring surprised me. I thought the PO said he installed the black & pink springs. Any clue what he most likely installed for the secondary? Or how to check it?

Of course I need to tighten the belt & believe I do that by removing some shims, right? I'm digging for instructions on that now.

Also found instructions on resetting the light on the nyrocatv.com site.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
On a Kawasaki motor every 100 hours the belt light comes on. The belt when not being used is suppose to remain loose. These decreases wear and keeps it from being stretched.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guess I should add that this quad has 172 hrs on it (over 1200 miles) & the light just came on this Saturday at about 168 hrs. I rode it for 4 hrs with the light on the whole time, but as I said before, the quad pulled & accelerated fine.

The spec on the belt deflection listed on the nyrocatv.com site says .87" - 1.06". So 1.25" is way too loose, right?

On KOD's master.pdf file I found this. I guess he tested the RPMs at engagement for each color spring: "tested EPI Pink which was 1520, EPI Bright/Green was 1920 and the P700 stocker was also 1270 just like the P650 stocker is."
So if I understand this right, the bright green spring makes the trans engage at a higher RPM, so more power at takeoff. Right?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Headin to the store today to get a 1 1/16" socket to get that secondary pulley off so I can pull a shim out & tighten this belt up a bit. At least I think thats what size it is.
And a 2" PVC or ABS cap to make my tool so I can get the pulley apart. Great tip on that tool.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It's actually a 27mm for the secondary. 1-1/16 should work though.

I also went with a metal pipe cap fro an extra couple $$ over the plastic. It might be OK for stock springs, but I didn't want to risk having it break.

Later
Moslondrinkr

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No luck finding a clutch tool at any of the AC or Kawi dealers around here. I found one that is open on Saturdays & is willing to pull the clutch & reset the light for me this weekend. I pulled the secondary nut thinking maybe I could get it off without the primary being removed..... fat chance.

I talked to the guy at the dealers for a bit. He's not terribly thrilled that I'm doing it myself or that the info is from the net. He said about 1/2 of what you'd find on the net is garbage. Which is probably true, but I'm hoping that most of the things we've read here & on nyrocatv.com are right.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i have more faith with what i have learned on here than dropping off to my dealer or any other dealer any day. with how loose the belt is currently you should be able to walk it off the secondary with it on the primary, just watch your fingers. as some have mentioned a piece of wood inbetween the secondary clutches to open them up and make taking the belt off even easier. both here and nyroc's website have a TON of USEFULL info imo and doesn't cost 65 dollars per hour and chance someone else skrewing it up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts