Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife an 07 F5LXR, with no snow I got it in the garage and started looking it over. What is the deal with the beltguard? What is the proper removal method for this? Do you pull the tab in the lower front and turn it then slide it toward the rear of the sled to unhook the rear latch? I didnt want to do to much prying before I asked you guys. Im new to Cat but so far the fit and finish isnt very impressive.
I got the light pod assem off without losing the spacers(they stayed in place) but someone mentioned glueing them in. What type of glue should I use? I was wondering if I could "thread" an o-ring on after the spacer and bolt are in place to keep the spacer from coming out.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I used super glue on the sleeves, spacer, whatever you call it. As for the belt guard mine was tight and once I got it off I took a grinder to the posts and made them half the size, now it holds but is easy to get on and off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gonna try the glue, could only imagine trying to do that on the trail an 5 degrees with wind blowing and dark bang your head I pried on the front clip with a screwdriver and the guard came off, Im gonna try grinding the nubs.
Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
236 Posts
Monkers: That belt guard is a real piece of engineering genius, isn't it? Pull on the outside tab and get the inside pin out first. Then twist the cover and pull up to get the outside pin out. Once off, get a pair of vise grips on the tabs and loosen them up a bit. A touch of grease doesn't hurt either. Grinding the pins will definitely help, but I was afraid of having a rattle afterwards. It's just a bad design.

Doesn't sound like you or your wife have had a chance to ride it yet. I have the same machine and managed 70 miles on the weekend, under limited conditions. I think you and your wife will like it once you get it out on the snow. I am very impressed so far. I don't want to say too much at this point, because 70 miles doesn't prove much, but I am far more impressed riding it, then working on it. Everything has a learning curve. Once we get used to these little engineering pitfalls(of which there are quite a few), I hope we can all appreciate the machine for what it is.

There is certainly plenty of room for improvement next year. Cat has the basics covered, now all they have to do is a bit of fine tuning. It's too bad they didn't take a closer look at some of these things before going to production. Only so much time I guess, but it can be very frustrating for the customers. I hate being a test pilot like this. It's kind of what I was afraid of from a first year model, but had hoped Cat would surprise me and get their act together. I guess not!

Redd

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I use my right thumb and push the backside tab off first. That works easier for me. Then you can roll it out of the front. I ground mine down a little and that helps, but I will be swearing like crazy if I have to pull that off when it's below zero outside with cold hands.

·
Registered
412 Posts
First off, take some medium sandpaper and sand down all the (crude) edges on the belt guard to make it a little easier on the hands.

Next grind down the outside (PTO side) of the mounting pin on the front of the clutch guard. I went little by little, and ended up actually grinding the pin down to half the size it was before. Started out 1/4" and now it's 1/8" but I don't think you want to go any less than that. It will still hold securely in place but is much, MUCH easier to remove without having to resort to any kind of tools!

Next, looking at the riveted "clamp" at the back of the clutch guard, grind down the edge that's facing upwards. Take off about 1/16" or so, and then grind down both corners of that same edge, so they're much larger radius corners. This will make it MUCH easier to get the "clamp" into its holding slot, without fighting the corners and the top of the "clamp."

Lastly, put a dab of some kind of lube on both sides of the mounting pin on the front of the belt guard.

There, hope this helps make the belt guard removal MUCH easier for some of you! – Roy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Redd glad to hear you like the machine. My wife is like a little kid praying for snow, running to the window everytime those jackass weathermen mention snow. She hasnt got to put one mile on it yet. Im hoping for at the very least enought snow so she can take it out into the fields by us. Im anxious to try it out, if I like the ride might have to trade in my 660 Turbo next year!
I know what you mean by fit and finish etc. Im a machinist/welder by trade so it really pisses me off when I see some of the **** they do. Im gonna massage the guard a little, I dont want rattles either, has enough of them allready. I dont like buying **** first year out either, but just worked out this way. Hopefully the ride/handeling impress me so much that I forget all about the workmanship.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts