Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2001 ZR 800 and have been looking into the clutch setup. The helix and spring have been changed in the secondary to a 59/ 53X with a red spring (no white stripe), and the primary spring has been changed to a silver. Wondering if anyone has worked with this particular setup, and has any comments on it?

Also I purchased a clutch alignment tool and found that I needed to add shims near the jack shaft bearing to correct the offset. I also wanted to check the belt deflection, but I'm having some trouble understanding the correct procedure. I have the service manual that explains the process, but I'm still not completely clear on the procedure. It says to set a straight edge on top of the belt between the primary and secondary, and then to apply pressure with a stiff ruler to the belt until the slack is gone. Do you apply pressure to the top of the belt? It also says to apply pressure until the belt flexes upward. Where do you look for the belt to flex upward on the top or bottom?

BTW the outer diameter of my new belt is about a half inch longer than my used belt. Both are the same part number (Arctic cat belt)

Thanks,

D

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I am not familiar with this set up but may be able to help on the other stuff you asked.

You want to firmly push down on the top of the belt with a straight edge to get the belt setting on both clutches evenly across the clutching surface of both clutches. Then push down with firm pressure and measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the belt and you should be about 1 and a 1/4". When anyone talks of the belt turning up they are referring to the cogs on the bottom part of the belt will turn upward when enough pressure is applied. If not then check to see if you have approx. 1/8" stick out of the belt on the secondary clutch. If not you may need to add (if to high) or take out a washer (if to low in the clutch) from the secondary. Next you will need to check the center to center. should be 12.200 according to you alignment tool.

If you want a consistant running clutch set up take a dress makers rule to the belt shop and measure the outside of belt and only buy the ones that closely matches yours. 1/2" is crazy. Otherwise you will be resetting it up again. Some dealers hate to see you coming and others just smile and give you the whole case to check.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hey tcat where in NY is Ripley ?? I am in Sherburne which is about 40 min south of Utica ??? Don't see many if at all people from NY in here

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Right next to the Pa. line next to lake Erie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts