Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is kind of a two parter. I think most people would have junked it long before caring about the drive shaft... but bear with me.

I've had this sled since '99. Last time I rode it was winter of 2005. Then I stopped snowmobiling. This year the snow was good so I put it back on the trail. Two weeks ago I rolled it.

Accident damage:
- Hood is pretty much screwed but I have all the pieces, I'm sure I can do a repair but it wont look nice.
- Windshield is broken
- steering post was bent.
- tunnel had dent where bumper connects, bunch of rivets popped out.
- belly pans all have broken mounting tabs, but there is enough left to make it work.
- plastic on rear bumper was destroyed.

The rest that is wrong
- While out on that ride the brakes started to go (not the cause of the accident, I just ran out of talent). I have since found that the brake line has a hole it in, not at the rubber line but at the steel line where it had been rubbing on the frame next to the oil reservoir!
- Lots of movement between the tunnel and the bulkhead, rivets have elongated. See video.
- crack in frame near tunnel bulkhead.
- All shocks need rebuilding. I have done this once before and have the tools and tank of nitrogen...
- once I disassemble the rear suspension I'm sure I'll find some shafts and bushings that need replacing.
- Bearing on driveshaft on clutch side was gone. Looks like it may have spun on the shaft. When I put the new bearing on I can rock it a bit. See pictures.
- Jackshaft shows similar wear where the clutch rides. See pictures.

What I've done so far:
- straighten tunnel and rivet back in place
- put in some #10 stainless screws with nyloc nuts where the rivet holes had elongated.
- put a nylock nut on the one bolt that was loose on the jackshaft bearing bracket.
- removed the steering post and bend it back to straight (mostly), put it back in.
- removed the drive and jack shafts only to discover the wear.

... continue in next post as I've run out of picture attachments

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my questions:

Has anyone used shafts that show this much wear, did the bearing last?

What about the clutch side? What would cause this?

I know I should probably just thrown in the towel but part of me says fix it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Personally, Id scrap/part it. Thing is BEAT!!! But, whos to say you cant get some kinda trade for it?! :)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Anything can be fixed. Myself I am the type that likes a challenge and I would fix it, but don't let that be your guide. If you are asking what is more monetarily economical, I would say parting it out would be the way to go. Another option would be to get a roller sled with a blown engine and put your engine in that one. If you are looking at getting back into the sport this may be you cheapest route.

If you do decide to fix it, I would not replace rivets with bolts. Rivets expand to the size of the hole, a bolt doesn't do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts