Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the bearings located at that I need to replace when I found out my speedo doesnt work. Is it right behind the clutch the speedo wire is connected under?

·
Registered
40 Posts
This doesn't necessarily mean that your bearing went bad. Unhook the spedometer cable on the speedometer side, start the sled and spin the track. if it is spinning, there is something wrong inside the spedometer, if it is not, it coule be that the cabe broke internally or just isn't hooked up. If the cable isn't spinning and you are convinced the cable is good, try to take a mirror to see if the output of the shaft is spinning when the track is spinning. If that isn't spinning, then you have an issue i am not fammiliar with. BE CAREFUL when trying to spin the track and looking at the outputwith a mirror, you are right by the clutch and could be seriously injured if care isn't taken. I hope this at least helps, I am not totally familiar with the mechanics of the output port, so that's just what i would try before digging all the way into the project first.

Scottie Rass

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did all the test to establish that I am pretty sure its the bearings.

First, while riding yesterday it made some werid clank noises, did it about twice so I parked the sled and didnt ride it anymore until today and that was just to put it into my shed. I unscrewed the nut around the cable that holds it to the clutch. I than got a cordless screwdriver and attached the cable to it. Turned the screw driver on and watched the speedo, it didnt move, so I switched it back to forward after realizeing it, therefore the speedo does work. So I am totaly convinced it is the bearings, if they are good than I will just grease it up really good and put them back on.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fast replys are much appreciated, snow is coming sunday again, want to get it fixed before. Dont know what part to get as I dont know which bearing to replace to get the right one. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yo are going to need the pto side bearing, and a new speedo drive pin. the bearing is under the clutch and i personally would take off the clutch to do this. but then unbolt the plates that hold your bearing in, there will be three of them, your speedo drive adapter, and outer plate and an inner plate. remove them all. make sure your track is ass loose as you can get it and i would also take out the rear suspension but then if you can slide the bearing off through the hole in the bulkhead, if you cant do that take off your chaincase cover remove your chain and the bottom gear and then unbolt the plates on that side and remove that bearing, then slide the shaft over until you and can get the bearing off the pto side, replace it and check and make sure that your mag side bearing is ok then put everything back together reversing these steps. Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
you will have to remove the chaincase bearing or at least push the shaft into the chain case in order to be able to change the bearing on the drive side.
This mean that you are going to remove chain and sprockets,bearing retainer in chaincase.
Loose all tracktension..
Remove secondary clutch,trust me its worth the trouble removing it.
Loosen drive side retainers,push shaft to chain side and drop its end down.
There you have the bearing.
Install new one but dont tighten the lockring.remount ewerything but the cluch and dont thighten track.Set side play to a slight movement side ways(i dont remember how much)
but a couple of mm´s has worked fine for me.Then lock the bearing.Notice its only the bearing on the drive side thats using its lockring.Remount the rest and drive.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok now I no longer thing the bearings are bad based on this.

Even tho the speedometer did the mileage doesnt.... I think the speedo may be broken cause I dont think the bearings effect the mileage do they? Cause I looked at it today and it was 2034 7/10 miles and than rode up and down my yard about 20 times. Which my yard is 500 foot, so that is atleast a few miles or so. Just went out and looked and sure enough its still 2034 7/10 miles. I think I will buy a speedometer and see if that works.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Does the speedometer work when riding the sled and jsut the odometer doesn't?? If so then more then likely something inside the speedo is seized causing the odometer not to turn over. If neither work then it could be the clutchside driveshaft bearing that is bad.
There is a little pin (part no. 11 in the diagram) in the speedo adaptor down by the clutch, if the bearing gets play in it, when the driveshaft begins to move it snaps this pin, causing the speedo to not work. Water in the grease can also freeze and snap the pin as well. Another possiblility is that the previous owner changed the bearing and didn't bother with the adaptor pin.
Though if you think the bearing could posibly be bad, stop riding now and get it fixed! If you continue to ride with the bearing bad then you are just looking at a whole new world of problems. While its a time consuming job changing the bearing its not all that difficult.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya the whole speedo doesn work, but I took the speedo cable out and all there is, is a rectangle shaped piece of metal.. is that supose to be like that or is there some other part thats supose to be on there. I am putting this into a heated shop next sunday and will be taking it all apart on the new shop lift.

·
Registered
950 Posts
if that little rectangular piece doesn't spin with the motor/track then 99 times out of 100 you will need to replace the bearings.

happened to me in December, first ride out. I called the dealer after feedback from this site and first thing he said was "bearings".

sure enough, they were total pooghe when he took them out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 20 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I did all the test to establish that I am pretty sure its the bearings.

First, while riding yesterday it made some werid clank noises, did it about twice so I parked the sled and didnt ride it anymore until today and that was just to put it into my shed. I unscrewed the nut around the cable that holds it to the clutch. I than got a cordless screwdriver and attached the cable to it. Turned the screw driver on and watched the speedo, it didnt move, so I switched it back to forward after realizeing it, therefore the speedo does work. So I am totaly convinced it is the bearings, if they are good than I will just grease it up really good and put them back on.[/b]

Still need to find were the clank noise came from. it may of been ice in track, but my guess is bearings

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
actually thats a bit of a funny story on the noise lol. Yesterday I remebered I had a rachet and socket in the back for my spark plugs just sitting there and I am sure thats the noise cause it happened after I hit a bump. :p

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
If you are going to replace one bearing, you might as well replace all four driveline bearings. You will have the chaincase apart, so it is very little extra effort to replace both of the jackshaft bearings as well as both driveshaft bearings. If you take it apart and then take the bearings to an industrail supply house they can get you bearings for much less than the dealer will charge. The primary purpose for doing this is to give you confidence that all the bearings are good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts