Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Bearcat Z1 Blown Spark Plugs

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Darrylthenewf1967 
#1 · (Edited)
So now my other arctic cat is out of commission... blew a plug today on my bearcat. Had to limp home 2.5Kms across the lake to make it to my vehicle.

Anyone have a link to the service manual? I hear it's going to be a major PITA to do.

#2 ·
Whats a blown spark plug??

What machine exactly?

If its the 2010 in your sig, you have to remove the console, gas tank, and airbox to change the spark plugs. They make an easy access airbox kit, that allows you to replace your existing one, with one that comes apart, giving much easier access to the plugs. Kit is PN 5639-934

#3 ·
Whats a blown spark plug??What machine exactly? If its the 2010 in your sig, you have to remove the console, gas tank, and airbox to change the spark plugs. They make an easy access airbox kit, that allows you to replace your existing one, with one that comes apart, giving much easier access to the plugs. Kit is PN 5639-934
One spark plug died, blew, quit, crapped out :angry: so now I face the abhorrent task of replacing them.

Machine is the Bearcat Z1 XT so yeah I am looking at 3-4hrs work for me in the garage. That's two arctic cats in less than a week...when it rains it pours.

#4 ·
On top of having two machines down, even more frustrating is all the talk about how hateful a job this is but I just spent ~2 hrs googling it and there is not a single article, pic or video to be found referencing spark plug replacement on a Bearcat Z1 XT.

#5 ·
It would have taken less than half the time you spent on google, to go out and change the plugs..

You have to remove the console, gas tank and airbox to change the plugs.

Open the seat
remove the console and both side panels
remove the spar panels. (#1)
remove the support tube (#6)

remove the screws holding the knee pads to the chassis (#10)
unplug the fuel pump wires, and fuel line (press the button on the quick connect at the top of the tank)
Slide the fuel tank to the rear, or take it off all together.

unplug the air temp sensor
remove the screws holding the air box to the chassis (#22, 23)
loosen the clamps holding the airbox to the throttle bodies
Slide the airbox out of the way.

unplug the harness from the coils
remove the screws holding the coil (#25)
remove the coils.

Both the spark plugs, and coil retaining bolts get tightened to 96 in/lb

Here is a pic of the split airbox kit, that allows you to change plugs by only removing the console. It was factory installed on newer sleds.

Fouling a plug on the Z1 engine isn't very common, and almost always caused by starting the sled, and moving it, reving the throttle, and/ shutting it off before letting it warm up.

Any time you start that sled, it needs to run long enough to warm up. The worst thing you can do is start it, move it, and shut it off.

Attachments

#8 ·
That would be the screen on the fuel pressure regulator.

Its easy to check with the tank out of the sled.

Just pull the pump out of the tank, remove the clip, and carefully remove the regulator, being sure not to loose the tiny spring.

Remove the screen from the tip of the regulator, and throw it away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.