Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...I have a 1997 Bearcat 454. Has always ran like a champ. I keep it maintained and in good running condition. But this one has my stumped. it starts up just fine..don't even have to choke it, but it revs up high rpms when you first start it, then it slowly over a few minutes comes back down to normal idle. When I drive it the last several days, I can give it full throttle and it just "putters" down the driveway and will not develop any speed or full power at all. So I figured I'd do some general maintenance on it as It was due for an exhaust replacement, a carb rebuild and valve adjustments. The original oem muffler was rusted out, so I managed to find another OEM replacement, and swapped that out, took the carb off, completely cleaned ultrasonically, and new rebuild kit in it. And adjusted valves back to specs.

Not sure what I am missing here, but the darn thing still starts up just fine, but revs up higher than normal. Never have to choke it to start...and then putters down the driveway. Seems to kind of "bog down" when I give it full throttle, and won't develop full speed or full power at all.

Any thoughts, what should I check? What should I look at again?? Thanks

·
Administrator
37,641 Posts
Sounds lean, check all your intake boots for cracks.
Was the diaphragm in good condition?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door...thanks. I am going to break it down today and double check all boots, etc. Also, someone said to check the "Vacuum Slide".....where exactly is that located, and how do I check it??? I assume it's something to do with air intake on the carb???

·
Registered
10,722 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, got the carb pulled today, and I think I am getting to the root of my problems First, in my due diligence for maintenance, I totally neglected the air filter. Man the foam pre-filter was black, and the screen portion was also full of buildup. Washed and cleaned both of them. Now onto the carb. the Choke plunger was "stuck" and would not CLOSE all the way...had to soak it good and give a good yank on the cable to get it out of the carb housing. Now, I have all the jets out, the floats, and have them running my my ultrasonic cleaner. I am looking at all the jets and such, and wanted to confirm numbers with you guys.

First the Jet needled has a number on it, (It's very small) but I believe it says 5040 and the clip is in the 4th slot down from the top. Is that correct? Now the next is what I believe is the pilot screw, and it has a "40" on it then the next is the Main Jet and it has 1425 on it. then there is one more that I took out, and it's either a 155 or 158 stamped on it.

Anyway, if you guys can let me know on the jets, and needle clip positions, I'd be grateful. THanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upon closer inspection the jet needle says 5D40 (not 5040) so got that one figured out, and supposedly the clip is INDEED suppose to be in the 4th slot.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
I’m out of town without computer access. Download a service manual from country cat . com under technical information. Carbs specs should be in there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...so I soaked the carb overnight, ultrasonically cleaned the body. And with the exploded Diagram, and a magnifying glass I have confirmed my various jet and needle sizes.

1. Pilot Jet is a (40)
2. Main Jet is a (1425)
3. Pilot air Jet is (155)

I also took out the Pilot screw when cleaning, and reinstalled it with spring, wash and o-ring and seated it all the way down, and then turned it back OUT 2.5 turns.

Any thoughts or comments on what I've found??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts