Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, first do any of you have issues with your battery draining over a months time of no use? I seem to have some type of drain on my system and need to locate it. I have the exact same battery in a Renegade and it never dies or even seems slightly low.

I could use some diagnoses tips on how to route down a leak in my system if this is not common.

I have an American Eagle winch on this bike and had issues with the toggle switch last year so I bought a new water tight switch and hoped that was possibly the drain issue, but the drain seems to continue.

I bought a battery tender last year when I bought a new battery for the bike, but it just failed for some reason last month and I'm now with a dead battery again having not put it on the tender for two months. I'm using a lead-acid charger on a AGM battery so I hope I don't kill the battery.

Thanks,
Charlie

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
The clock alone will drain my battery in two months. I consider it normal and keep a tender on it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your thought on using a charger that says LEAD-ACID batteries ONLY on the package being this is an AMG battery. I looked on the net to find if this is acceptable and most say they charge practically the same. You just can't use them on Gel batteries.

Lost my job a month ago so I can't buy a tender like I have, and am still working with NOCO on repairing the one that got damaged. Not sure if I did it or if it truly malfunctioned.

Is there a descent battery tender for around 15 or 20 bucks?

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
What is your thought on using a charger that says LEAD-ACID batteries ONLY on the package being this is an AMG battery. I looked on the net to find if this is acceptable and most say they charge practically the same. You just can't use them on Gel batteries.

Lost my job a month ago so I can't buy a tender like I have, and am still working with NOCO on repairing the one that got damaged. Not sure if I did it or if it truly malfunctioned.

Is there a descent battery tender for around 15 or 20 bucks?
An AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery is still a lead acid battery. The electrolyte(acid) is trapped in the filler or spacer plate between the lead plates. So neg- spacer-pos and so on. Versus having the electrolyte just sloshing around inside the battery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2011 TRV. Since I bought a battery tender I've had no problems. I 'm not sure what RPM the motor has to be turning for the battery to charge. Probably doesn't charge at idle. Low battery can also lead to error code P0635 I believe it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I have a charger on it now and seems to be taking a charge.

MTCruiser, I have seen those up at NAPA. I will have to go see their price compared to Amazon. As for the connection next to the gas tank, I saw and did not know what it was for. Nice to know that I can use it to charge the battery. I hate having to take the seat off every time I want to charge the battery.

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
Use a cigarette lighter type plug on the end of it and plug it right into the side of your pod !!!! Easy as pie. Also works to charge cell phone, GPS etc. as it is a direct connection to the battery
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Room Tire

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
I made my own cig adapter about 7 years ago for our 05 500.
I cant tell you how many times that gets used. worked so well that I made the male end and wired it to the boat battery with a 5 foot lead. I dont have to uncover he boat all winter, the lead hangs out and just plug it in. the Pontiac T/A gets plugged in thru the cig outlet inside the car.
I play musically chairs with the battery tender Jr. It gets used all the time. great investment. It doesnt have the shiny LED light like DoorFX, but it works just as good. lol
I even have one for our 1958 861 Ford tractor in a 6 volt model. Yup Battery tender makes a 6 volt model as well. Must work great, the 6 volt battery is over 11 years old.

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
I'm amused by shiny things lol

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2011 TRV 700. I measured a 40 mA parasitic battery drain. Is it a normal drain for my model?
Yes the clock is using power at all times

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.