Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend was my first real ride of the season (well would have been if my sled stayed together). Heres what happened:

For starters I had my dealer install a D&D clutch kit consisting of a D&D orange primary spring and 71 big dogs. The secondary spring is stock but installed a shift assist and FB deflection adjuster...the seld rips in the trails with awesome backshifting pulls good off the line also. This is where the problem starts...got to the lake and went for a top end run as i havent had enough room to do so the last time i was out......pulls solid till about 75 mph and then its starts to vibrate (i feel it in both footwells). The intensity of the vibration increase as the speed increases. The best i could get on the first run was 89 and then lifted as the vibration was getting out of control. Decided to do another pull....same strong acceleration until 75mph and then the vibration started again...decided to keep it pinned to see what my new top speed would be with the clutch kit installed (last years best was 103) as the sled it 95mph (rattling my fillings loose) the belt exploded into simertherines....scared the **** out of me. Anyway, when i opened the hood and belt cover to change the belt and the heat i felt on the clutches was insanse...couldnt hold my hand on them for more than a second and it was cold out! Put my spare belt on, did a quick break in and tried going for anohter top speed run...vibrations still there so i backed out of the throttle and pretty much babied back to the trailer. Definately something wrong here...never had any vibration issues last year....they started after installing the clutch kit....anyone ever experience anything like this? Anyone know the fix?

I should also mention that my rpms were perfect (werent last year thats why i got the clutch kit). From a standstill it shoots up to about 76-7700 rpm and then slowly climbs to about 7850 as the sled starts going for top speed...i know i could stand for a little more revs but i am happy with 7850 considering how fast the 600's fall flat on their face after 7900.

Dropped the sled off at the dealer on my way home...but would love to hear your opinions on possible issues. Sorry for the rant. Thanks Evil.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
I have no idea how good your dealer's mechanics are in terms of work quality. But here are two things that must be done properly when working on the secondary:

#1 Secondary clutch is balanced from the factory. Before disassembly, the two sheaves must be marked and for re-assembly the marks must line up again. If not, the secondary can add tons of vibration. If there are no marks, you will find a casting mark on the outside each sheave near the outer edge. If you line them up with each other, they are matched/lined up according to the factory balancing.

#2 This one combined with #1 adds even more vibration. Even if #1 is correct, vibes from #2 might not be huge but may cause uneven roller wear.

When re-assembling the secondary clutch, the helix bolts must be snugged up finger tight, then assemble the rest of the clutch and mount on sled. By hand, open & close the clutch several times making sure you hit the end of travel. When the clutch is open, it forces maximum spring pressure between the helix & rollers and this is the moment to tighten the helix bolts.

Alignment of the helix & roller cover causes the sheave faces to be parallel to each other, and also aligns the position of the helix to be centered with the roller cover. This will not only remove vibes cause by helix/roller mis-alignment, but also improves belt life & roller life.

Like I said, I have no idea about your dealer's quality of workmanship. So these are two critical items they may have done properly. If not, they would be the first things I'd check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well spoke to my dealer this afternoon and he cant seem to find anything wrong with the sled. Had the clutches apart and everything looks good. What he did find was a big ice chunk frozen at the front of the tunnel and he thinks that was causing the vibration. I said potentially, but how do you explain the extreme heat in the clutches? He says the track would start to balloon at high speeds (makes sense as the vibration only started at 75mph and would get progressively worse - more speed, more ballooning, more vibration) and start to hitting the ice putting drag on the clutches causing the belt to start to slip ever so slightly causing heat and eventually blowing the belt. Not sure what to make of it...any thoughts? I still think its the belt slipping because (as Indy says) greater upshift force due to the clutch kit. I'll know forsure this weekend as im heading up for another ride.

·
Registered
781 Posts
you shouldn't be getting alot of clutch heat. I just got ODS clutch kit and I am still tuning it. I was out last night and I was running pretty hard and alot of wipe opens and going 100 mph back and forth on the back country road and got home and opened the hood and I can touch my belt with my bare hands. It was not even hot at all. It was just warm as ******.

Double check your belt defection and make sure that your rollers are seating properly on the helix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts