Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a 2005 arctic cat 4 x 4 automatic Tbx my question is how do I know if my stator is bad I can start the machine and it runs and drives fine but I checked the battery which is brand new and if I turn the headlights on while the machine is running it will drop my batteries voltage down to around 11 V if I disconnect the battery while the machine is running it will turn off With the headlights off and the machine running it is putting about 12.15 V to the battery

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Your voltage regulator is most likely the culprit. What size is your machine?

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Voltage regulator

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Try rm stator or caltric way cheaper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try rm stator or caltric way cheaper
OK installed the new voltage regulator and the issue with charging the battery and headlights is all fixed

but I have one more question shouldn’t this ATV be able to run without a battery connected as soon as I disconnect the battery the machine turns off immediately it does have a pull start on it but it will not run unless the battery is connected does that mean I have a bad stator??

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
What voltage are you getting at the battery when it’s running ?

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
The stator may have an issue. The lights all work, the battery is charging, drive it like you stole it.

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Your welcome.

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Just make a quick check while you are riding it. Check where the stator wires come out of the case to see if they are getting hot. The wires like to rub through right there.

Reactions: Orrick

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
The 400 had issues with the magnets coming loose on the flywheels as well. If you want to check your stator outputs you can get a free service manual at countrycat.com under technical. It has all the test procedures in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 400 had issues with the magnets coming loose on the flywheels as well. If you want to check your stator outputs you can get a free service manual at countrycat.com under technical. It has all the test procedures in there.
Nice yea for sure I’ll check that out mine as well check everything out gives me something to do anyway

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just make a quick check while you are riding it. Check where the stator wires come out of the case to see if they are getting hot. The wires like to rub through right there.
Thats what happened to my 08 400 ifs, stator wires just inside the case were frayed and touching, stalling my machine whenever it wanted to. Was giving me all kinds of grief until my mechanic found it and repaired the wires, runs great now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts