Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I couldnt have any worse luck out on the trails. The arctic cat is a fine machine but for some reason I keep finding the deepest water where ever I go. Ive had it out twice and have swamped it twice on both occasions. And the sad part is that on both times I was apprehensive about trying to go through water (I should have listened to my better judgement). Anywho, this last time I managed to pop the fan fuse and it tried to overheat on me until I removed the side panels and rode it long enough to get it back to the trailer. Not to mention the choclately oil that I had. I ended up going through about 10 1/2 quarts of oil until it was clear but was unable to change the oil filter just yet. I plan on changing the filter and the oil again before I take it back out. I also had to clean the intake box and filter.

So the oil is clear again but I need a new filter and the machine really seems to be running great. The fan is also working again. Anything Im missing here. Anybody think I screwed it up? Its insured and warrantied so I havent been sweating it too much if I did damage it somehow.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Don't count on warranty to much.

If they find even a drop of water in the motor, it will likely be void. All you can really do is drain and fill and repeat like you did. Changing the filter would help better IMO.

Maybe snorkles are in order?

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ May 1 2007, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't count on warranty to much.

If they find even a drop of water in the motor, it will likely be void. All you can really do is drain and fill and repeat like you did. Changing the filter would help better IMO.

Maybe snorkles are in order?

Later
Molsondrinkr[/b]
Yeah definately some snorkles. But the sad part about that is that I dont exactly seek water out. I just need to cross it some times for whatever reason... I just keep finding deep spots somehow. Meh... surrend

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Just in case... Might be a good idea to open the clutch cover and make sure it's all clean & dry in there!

Change the diff fluids too, it gets the wear-in particles out of there and you will be sure they don't have leaks either.

Keep the fill level down an inch from the fill hole on both diffs. More oil than an inch from the fill holes will be hard on the seals and they will run hotter too.

:chug:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Digitalia:

There's a big difference between bad luck and bad judgment. I'd say your predicaments are the results of bad judgment. Use better judgment and your luck will improve immensely. If you keep going the way you are, you might end up drowning yourself. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalPhreak @ May 1 2007, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well... I couldnt have any worse luck out on the trails. The arctic cat is a fine machine but for some reason I keep finding the deepest water where ever I go. Ive had it out twice and have swamped it twice on both occasions. And the sad part is that on both times I was apprehensive about trying to go through water (I should have listened to my better judgement). Anywho, this last time I managed to pop the fan fuse and it tried to overheat on me until I removed the side panels and rode it long enough to get it back to the trailer. Not to mention the choclately oil that I had. I ended up going through about 10 1/2 quarts of oil until it was clear but was unable to change the oil filter just yet. I plan on changing the filter and the oil again before I take it back out. I also had to clean the intake box and filter.

So the oil is clear again but I need a new filter and the machine really seems to be running great. The fan is also working again. Anything Im missing here. Anybody think I screwed it up? Its insured and warrantied so I havent been sweating it too much if I did damage it somehow.[/b]
you will spend less time making a snorkel for your bike than you have spend on countless oil changes. Im not judging you as I too find some deep water, but luckily have never swamped the motor. These bikes can only ingest water a couple times before it starts to burn oil and screw up things in the carb. As others have mentioned it also will void your warranty completely if they ever get wind of this. I say snorkel ASAP regardless of how or why your finding these deep holes so you will have peace of mind. Just out of morbid cusrtiousity how deep was the water when the bike snuffed out? It will be much easier to explain a snorkel to the dealer than it will be to explain water in the carb and crankcase

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have also "walked" the front of my machine into a hole, only to find out it was much to deep for my kitty. Luckily for me I didn't drown it. But it's funny how a hole can look not bad and it turns out to be a pit.

It doesn't help that the cat's are usually first to test out a hole. :super_happy:

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I would also change the fan fuse to a curcuit breaker (should be at any auto parts store) just for times like this bang your head

Like Scott1981 said, you would be better off explaning a snorkel to the dealer if you had to, however you could make your snorkels so they go through the black plactic covers (cheaper) so you can take them off to take it to the dealer

Good Luck :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear all of you.. Im a bit frustrated with myself as well. Well... the first hole, which didnt seem near as bad because the oil wasnt dirty at all, was up to my chest. I went into it real slow but it was too late before I realized just how deep it was. Both holes were only about 6 - 8 inches deep when I started out but suddenly dropped off to way deeper which is why it catches me by surprise. The second started out about 6 inches deep and ended up only about waist high (not as deep as the first) or so but I wasnt going as slow as the first time (which caused a lot more water to rush in) and it dropped off really deep suddenly as well. Water has been very decieving for me because it will just drop off like that. Even more, and this is what I mean by luck, there were people on sport quads riding right through the same water. I just happened to ride a bit too far off to the left and BAM! Im in a deep hole.. Aye! Everything seems well with it though. I am definately going to get a snorkel before my bike sees any more water at all and worst come to worst I will get an insurance claim. Ive already discussed these scenarios with my ins. company and they said they would cover it. Hopefully I wont have to do that though.

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalPhreak @ May 1 2007, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Even more, and this is what I mean by luck, there were people on sport quads riding right through the same water. I just happened to ride a bit too far off to the left and BAM! Im in a deep hole..[/b]
man tell me about it! That is one thing I have learned riding on a quad is that sometimes just a couple inches is the difference between a easy crossing and one that could drown the bike. I watch very very closely as others cross and always followe the tracks to the letter unless something didnt go well for them. Buy some waders from a sporting good store and dont be afraid to walk these holes. We usually have someone leading who knows the trail conditions exactly or we get out and walk most of the worst looking holes. It has saved us all alot of time, frustration and money and only takes a extra minute or 2

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I would clean the carb, just to be safe. Drop the bowl and I bet you have some silty junk down in there. Clean 'er out good.

I would also dope up all of your electrical connections with dialectric grease to cover that angle.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I snorked mine because I had a couple close calls too. Like you, I don't seek it out, but somehow I seem to find it. Snorks like Sanny's are easy to do, only took me an afternoon, and good insurance, IMO. Better luck out there man, stay safe.
JD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ May 1 2007, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would clean the carb, just to be safe. Drop the bowl and I bet you have some silty junk down in there. Clean 'er out good.

I would also dope up all of your electrical connections with dialectric grease to cover that angle.[/b]
Well... I know what a carb is but Im not exactly sure what you mean when you say "Drop the bowl". Does taking the carb off require a little more experience with engines other than changing oil and such cause Im not sure if that would get over my head. However, I may have some help if it really is necessary.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I did the same thing a week ago, dont ever want to swamp it again, I used 15 quarts or so to get all the water out. I never knew until taking my front plastic off that the air intake is actually just above the radiator...doesnt seem like a great place to put it. I tried to remove the carb, but theres some stuff on it i wasnt comfortable with takling apart, so i just opened up the bowl drain and sprayed about a cans worth of carb cleaner thru, she is runnin fine, and no smoke!!!!!
Once water gets up to the headlights, im backin out, until i can snorkel the intake, which seems really easy, i jus dont want to have to rejet it. Like I said that carb has some funky components on it...Im used to my 89 Yamaha snowmobile carb...so taking that apart completely is gonna be a task(for me anyways)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts