Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is various clunking when riding my 2017 Alterra 700 XT.

I did have a loose coupler in the PSU that fixes some play in the handle bars. I thought would fix the noise but it's getting worse.

I also have a 2018 KQ 750. I do a lot of my own maintenance but have never worked on axles before. The KQ axles are all 100% stuff, no play. The rear axles on the Cat are all stiff. However, the two front ones have about a 1/4-1/2" play side to side and when doing it there is the a clunk. Which I believe the sound in hearing when riding.

Do I need new axles, or is there a smaller fix possible?

I've attached a video but it seems you will only be able to view if you are using Tapatalk.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File VID_20200623_061529~3.mp4

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
37,308 Posts
They need side to side play. If not when your suspension articulates they would pull out of the diffs.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
That's way too much play. With the axles in the ATV, there should be no side to side play in the shaft itself. The inner race of the outer joint is held in place with a C clip. However the inner joint must move in and out with suspension movement. Remove axles and if outer joint falls out of place, that's your issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's way too much play. With the axles in the ATV, there should be no side to side play in the shaft itself. The inner race of the outer joint is held in place with a C clip. However the inner joint must move in and out with suspension movement. Remove axles and if outer joint falls out of place, that's your issue.
I'll check that out. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clunking could be coming from your suspension bushings. I showed how to check them at 4:42. It could also be the brakes rattling and need bled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll check that out too.

Since you also have an Alterra, do you have similar play in the axle?

As I mentioned, the rear ones can't be wiggled and on my KQ all 4 have zero play. But since both fronts are like this I wasn't sure if it's normal. The king quad is my main ride, the cat is for my wife, adult kids, and guests. It doesn't get abuse as none of the riders are aggressive. They basically go on trail rides and casually follow my lead. So to have both get pooched would be odd.

Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not the bushings. Everything seems in order and tight. Boots are in top shape.

I don't have time today to pull out the axle but it seems like possibly the c rings might have failed on the outers? If so I don't know how that would even happen.

The sound when riding is definitely the same clunk when I slide the axle and it hits back at the wheel hub. I jacked it up and 4x4 works. If I hold a wheel it takes no effort to force 3 wheel drive. With the diff lock on its definitely full 4x4.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
779 Posts
Both of the front axles on mine slip back and forth like in your video. That movement is normal to allow the axle to move when the suspension flexes like Doorfx said.
I know on mine the rubber bushings were worn the first 300 miles and I would get a clunk when the front wheel drops to fully extend the suspension. I had UMHW bushings on my last ATV and they took out all the play in the suspension/aarms.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both of the front axles on mine slip back and forth like in your video. That movement is normal to allow the axle to move when the suspension flexes like Doorfx said.
I know on mine the rubber bushings were worn the first 300 miles and I would get a clunk when the front wheel drops to fully extend the suspension. I had UMHW bushings on my last ATV and they took out all the play in the suspension/aarms.

That's good to know. I'll have to play around with it more. I'll lift and take the wheels off and get 8n there a little more

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out it was a loose pinch bolt at the ball joint. Tightened and all good

·
Administrator
37,308 Posts
I personally would replace that bolt. If the ball joint was moving that much it probably wore the bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts