Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you atver's have put a backup light on your atv's? How did you hook up the light? Just use a switch on your pod or hook it up to the Reverse Switch itself? Thanks for any replys you can give.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have two of them on mine, but it's more for symettrical appearance vs. additional light. I run them on their own circuit that I turn on with a switch. You could do it that way, or tie them into the reverse pod light....or both by using a 3 way switch.

Let us konw how you'd like to do it, and we'll help you from there. Either way, I would recommend using an automotive relay in conjunction with a switch to feed your lights the power they need. A switch will limit the power going through. An auto relay will let a lot more power through, thus giving you a brighter light.

·
Registered
609 Posts
what about taking power from the back of the 12v socket and then putting a inline switch.
I want to do mine but don't want to cause a problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could some of you guys that are using back-up lights post some pics to show how/where you mounted them? Been thinking about it for a while and can't decide on where to put 'em. :sure_ok:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Dukie, you could but the amperage max on that is something like 5amps if I recall correctly. They make a light that plugs into that lighter plug and has a magnet on the back, so it just sits on your racks. Seems like a decent idea/product.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just about to install one 55 watt back up light. I bought a 12 amp switch and was going to use only that. Sanny are you saying current to the light will be reduced because of the switch ? Will greater current flow be achieved with a relay? A 55 watt light should require about 4.5 amps. I was thinking a 12 amp switch would be OK. Electricity is not my specialty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
About 12 bucks each at NAPA. Sealed real good, mounted to the bumper, switch on the pod. Like Sanny, I have 2 so it looks symetrical, not for more light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
ltolson, if you use a 12 amp switch, you'll find that it'll get really hot, and in no time it will fail you. What you wanna do is run the power feeding the lights through a relay, and use the switch to control the relay. The wiring is really easy actually. Hook your switch up to the battery, then take the output of the switch and run that to the "Switched power" input on the relay. There are other posts on the relay that you'll need to wire up as well: 12V from battery, Ground, and either 1 or 2 outputs to the load (in this case, your BU lights). Easy as pie friend, and you won't be changing your switch out every couple months.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I powered (pulled in) the relay with the switched accessory power then ran a new fused line from the battery through the relay contacts to a lit switch then to the lights. Works well and they are off when the key is off and while the key is on they are controlled by the switch. The two red switches are for the pod and back up light the black ones are for the hand thumb warmers. Here are some pics. The last one is my favorite lately.

WC
[attachment=68398:picture_077.jpg]

[attachment=68399:picture_087.jpg]

[attachment=68400:picture_248.jpg]

[attachment=68402:picture_256.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
My buddy's. I don't really like it. More of a spotlight than a flood light. It'll freakin blind you if your behind him when he lets it loose. Switch on pod.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.