Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Guess we will just disagree on this one.. My machine now sits for 2 months out of the year since i stopped winter riding. 2 other machines have been sitting for almost 2 years and fired right up no issues both carb and efi.. My lawn equipment gets no maint and burred under the snow all winter fires right up every year on the second pull... Only time i have ever had fuel issues is the one and only year i used a fuel stabilizer in my fuel. wrong fuel stabilizer for ethanol based fuel and turned it to gel in everything it touched. Even my toyota truck that sat for 5 plus and fired right up...
and some folks win the lottery and MANY don't

some times you can get lucky too!

but thousands of posts about ethanol issues , and tons of small engine repair places will be glad to tell you about the BAD side effects of ethanol fuel in things that sit

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
yep and how many of those issues are because people do not know how to deal with the fuel? wrong fuel stabilizer, leaving tanks low, etc... Every one i know has piles of fuel operated equip and non of us have issues.. even the guys that haul the fuel don't have issues with it.. We live in the north with extreme weather cold and wet. Maybe we just get a better grade of fuel up here..LOL

·
Administrator
7,563 Posts
I have 2 snowmobiles. They sit for months w/o use. Both require 92 octane for running. In our area, 92 non ethanol isnt available so I fill them with 90 or 91 non ethanol ( cant remember exactly) for the summer with Startron fuel additive in both tanks. Come winter, I siphon it out and use the gas in our vehicles or the quads and top the tanks with 92 octane in the U.P.( Mi) where we do our riding as its readily available there. I put way to many fuel level sending units in our previous quads ( 07 700's) because of ethanol gas. I run gas with ethanol at times but always have a large container of Startron or seafoam. I agree with the statements above, storing them with empty tanks isnt going to hurt the way they run but still might cost ya in the long run. Anyway, thats my method and it seems to be working great. Other members on this site have fuel issues and i'm guessing its location related. My neighbor would buy his gas at a station that always boosts the lowest prices around. His ford F150 would barely run on that garbage and other people complained also. So gas quality varies from state to state. Area to area too.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
yep and how many of those issues are because people do not know how to deal with the fuel? wrong fuel stabilizer, leaving tanks low, etc... Every one i know has piles of fuel operated equip and non of us have issues.. even the guys that haul the fuel don't have issues with it.. We live in the north with extreme weather cold and wet. Maybe we just get a better grade of fuel up here..LOL
so in other words you treat fuel and do other things to make them stay running??
well if this is so, then even you are admitting ethanol fuel is NOT good on its own , it requires care to it to make it last and not go bad and ruin things
where as NON ethanol fuel, like we had for decades, lasted without need to do so many things to it!
considering my friends MAKE fuel for a living, work in refinery's
YES 100% there are different grade of fuel; that got to different places
there is also winter grade fuel and summer grade fuel too
the facts are simple
IF you use NON ethanol fuel and DON"T treat it, it has a VERY short shelf live over NON ethanol fuel
NEXT its been proven that running NON ethanol fuel over time coats parts with a varnish like coating, that has clogged many carb and there parts to , the point they don;t work well

NOW if you treat things and use the fuel faster, its less problematic
BUT doesn't change the fact ethanol fuel has issue's
that was my point
it CAN cause running issues for some folks, never said it was this OP"S issue, just something to think about and or MAYBE try running non ethanol and see if it helps him

I do NOT use ethanol in anything of mine that sits often, and I have countless things that are 60-70 yrs old, nit just a few months or yrs here?? LOL
and still running(1940's tractors and equipment of all sizes)
so I gather I do know something about keeping things going?

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Yep, non ethanol fuel is the way to go for seasonal equipment. I’ve gone one step further on my garden equipment too! I use Aspen fuel in my weed wacker, chainsaw and my ice auger. I use that for convenience over mixing fuel. 2 Quads and 3 sleds get premium non-ethanol fuel every single time. Never ever had fuel issue.

·
Administrator
35,402 Posts
X3 non ethanol Shell premium for all my small engines.
In a side note the new stabil fuel stabilizer says it gives fuel a two year shelf life.

·
Administrator
35,402 Posts
Ok now out of consideration for the original poster, back on topic please.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
8 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing