Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while my tcat will backfire when I start it on a warm engine. Was thinking needle and seats. Any thoughts on this? What tip is better? Viton rubber tip or steel tip? Or could it be something else?

·
Administrator
7,594 Posts
More than likely it is something else, it's caused by unburnt gas in the pipe(s) after shut down, caused by a high idle or sometimes it's unavoidable. Our old Wildcat efi was notorious for this and sometimes it would sound like a .357 magnum going off, ( no needle or seats in that thing)
Does it seem like your sled turns over a few times after you shut it off?
A lower idle helps in most cases.
Next possibility is an exhaust gasket or exhaust graphite doughnut leaking.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the key is turned off it stops and doesn't diesel. Idle is normal and all pipes are sealed to the best of my knowledge. Kinda lost on this one.

·
Registered
320 Posts
my F7 does this too once in a while. More so when its warm out or when im drag racing with my buddies. Try to let it idle down for 5 to 10 sec before shutting it down, this usually works for me. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
if its popping comes out the carbs its a lean problem if its pops out the exghaust its a rich problem. If its coming from the carbs I would clean the carbs make sure everything is okay in there and not plugged up the right jet sizes. If its coming out the exghaust its just fuel build up because your way too rich nothing to worry about its.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My ZL600 used to do that. It would foul a set of plugs, and pop and bang until I would put new in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check your rubber carb boots. My wildcat did that and I had a cracked boot half way round. Thanks to the EFI it prevented it from leaning out. Real lucky!

·
Registered
955 Posts
backfire would mean exhaust. a pop would be the intake side. so just drop your main jet down 1 or 2 sizes my 97 will do this on warm days no biggie you might wanna change back on colder days

1 - 10 of 10 Posts