Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just looking to see what everybody running for skis for the backcountry. I damaged my stock skis on my 2014 M8000 last year, looking for a new wider set to try and gain some more float in powdery snow. i ride a lot of trees as well.

I've looked at SLP, C&A, Slydog, cats new skis, and even heard guys having luck tossing on a set from polaris. Let me know what you guys have tried and what ya like and don't like!

thans for your help in advance!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also interested in this also seen guys running simmons skis would like to hear from someone who uses them for mountain riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sly dog powder hounds. M1100 floats a lot better in the deep snow. Little better trail handling as well

·
Registered
49 Posts
Slp mohawk or polaris gripper work great

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking for some skis myself and can't believe what a set of good 8" powder skis with everything needed to mount costs. Looking at the top brands they all are running dang near 400 shipped.

When I picked up this m1100 the guy had gripper skis on it and wanted to keep um, so I have the stock m800 2013 skis on it now.

Having a tough time convincing myself to pony up the cash for a new set of PLASTIC skis.

Most likely goin the gripper route, seen um 150.00 used

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've tried them all on the PC. I like the Mohawks the best. First Gen Simmons are good but they are heavy and keep my Turbo Yammi up just fine. This chassis doesn't need that kind of help with a 2-stroke in it. My second choice would be the BX ski from C&A Pro. I love them on the Axys and my old back up Rev.
Now the Grippers are a good ski, no question, for the price they are the best if you can swipe a pair of take-offs from a dealer or new sled owner.
Most guys need at least a 6" carbide to make the Grippers work properly and I'm not about to strap on carbides to my mountain sled. Way too many creek crossings and log jumping, stump humping opportunities in our backcountry to snag a carbide on.
So Grippers end up lower on my list than the others.

I haven't used Slydogs but the majority of Yamaha guys run them which leads me to believe that they are overkill for our lighter 2-strokes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've tried them all on the PC. I like the Mohawks the best. First Gen Simmons are good but they are heavy and keep my Turbo Yammi up just fine. This chassis doesn't need that kind of help with a 2-stroke in it. My second choice would be the BX ski from C&A Pro. I love them on the Axys and my old back up Rev.
Now the Grippers are a good ski, no question, for the price they are the best if you can swipe a pair of take-offs from a dealer or new sled owner.
Most guys need at least a 6" carbide to make the Grippers work properly and I'm not about to strap on carbides to my mountain sled. Way too many creek crossings and log jumping, stump humping opportunities in our backcountry to snag a carbide on.
So Grippers end up lower on my list than the others.

I haven't used Slydogs but the majority of Yamaha guys run them which leads me to believe that they are overkill for our lighter 2-strokes.
What do you runon your mojntain skis? Steel runners?

·
Registered
785 Posts
What do you runon your mojntain skis? Steel runners?

Hardweld runners. No need for carbides in the mountains unless you ride cascade hardpack all year like some guys in Nevada and California.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Depends. This time of year all we are doing is breaking trail. Groomers aren't even running yet so our only way in to our riding areas is breaking trail of 2-3-4ft of powder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went ahead and picked up a used set of grippers. Previous owner had grippers on the machine, he wanted to keep um when we traded.

He said they worked well, and made the M1100 flickable, if that's possible.

Going out today to ride on the M800 stockers, so I can see if there's a noticeable difference between the two skis.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So the ride on the stockers was not to bad, held a corner and such, but we're outta site in the deeper stuff, we only have 2.5ft on the roads so far. New sled to me, and the front end is heavy, and outside ski just felt like it was sinking all the time when in a turn.

Grippers showed up today, got um on, and going to see how they feel tomorrow am.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts