Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By chance are the axle nuts reverse thread? Used a 3ft breaker bar and it won't budge...too cold out tonight so soaked it w penetrating lube and will try impact in am...any thoughts appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
nope not reverse....get the torch out and heat it its about 200-250lbs torqued so its on there

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, though so ill heat her up tomorrow

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
a good impact shouldnt have a problem..but if it does hit it with heat

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I had that hapen 2 weeks ago. Used heat, 3/4 impact ir gun compressor set at 250, nothing worked. Carefully cut the nut with a dremil after I removed the axle and hub to put in a vice. Used wd40, pb blaster, zep45 nothing worked

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Once cut the impact was able to remove it. I dont remember using that muxh loctite

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dam! I Don't feel so bad, nothing's ever easy...just gonna stick to jet skis ...just gas and go no maintenance lol

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Lol. 3 come off no problem, then the last one is a mutha

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's always how it is lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So impact gun made quick work of nut, got all new studs in my next question is I have it tight w socket and shear pin lines up...do I Need to try and impact it on another 1/8 turn or is it tight enough? It's a pain lining up shear pin hole ...

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
if you think you got it torqued to over 200lbs with a socket then yes....if not no.

When your wheel passes you when the axle nut backs off and your wheel falls off youill wish you torqued it correctly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good...not into 3 wheelers lol

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
this guy is not a fan of 3 wheeler either lol.....Pretty hard to torque it on the trail with 2 pairs of vise grips put together lol.....this wheel passed me at 30mph good times lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dam! Ya my neighbors daughter lost a wheel on her grizzly lol it rolled down a cliff it was fun getting it back. Nut just seemed to fall off today lol after all the lube....I'll crank it down tomorrow ...got a list of crap to do to wheeler just chilly and don't feel like heating up garadge till weekend

·
Registered
558 Posts
I remember trying to get one of those things off on my front wheel... Tried the heat, impact, lube, nothing seemed to work. I broke 2 Craftsman ratchets with a 4 foot pipe, still didn't budge. Ended up taking a pipe wrench to it with a 6 foot pipe and put my 260lb self on the end and bounced like mad, finally broke loose....

After that I figured my rear bearings could go a little longer lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i used my torque wrench that goes to 140lbs and then impacted it 1/8 turn till next hole lined up...gotta be close to 200lbs

·
Registered
36 Posts
To bad you didn't live closer I got a torque wrench just for that job. LOL!! I had to have a buddy hold the other side down while I tightened those axle nuts. Make sure you use the same size cotter key. Here some pics of what the smaller ones do if the torque aint right. LOL!! The dealer's mechanic did this.

Those are pics of the one that didn't let go. One of the wheels on my Cat came off after they did some work on mine and cost me close to $650 to fix all that got damaged. The torque setting is pretty important.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya glad I impacted it and didn't leave it at 140... Just talked to my buddy who works at cat dealer and he says they just impact them on not at 200 though....man I think I'm scared to let dealer do any work

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
they are always a pain, NEVER LOCTITE them or threadlock them, so long as you hit the torque your laughing they'll stay, I just returned a friends compressor and impact had to wind compressor to 120psi, and give it the guts to get the castle nut off, I've got 1 more wheel bearing to pile up before I've replaced them all... oie.... I'm going to buy an impact just for the job because I can never get my brakes to hold, and keep my wheels from turning with it in 4 low brakes locked when I bounce on my 2ft breaker bar (250lbs) impact makes quick work of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts