Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take all my axles off my 2008 AC 700 efi h1 and I am starting with the rear, and I got the rear right nut off with a bit of work and axle came off one tug, but the left nut will NOT loosen!! I have snaped one half inch Johnson bar already and with my other one it wont move. ive wd 40 many times and I don't have a acetolyn torch. please help!!

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
They can be tough. A 6" bar jumping on it or a 3/4" impact works well for me

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
Heat and rent a 3/4" impact

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Before I had an impact I used about a 3 foot piece of pipe that fit over the handle of my ratchet (bought it at CTC), but an impact is worth it's weight in gold for working on a lot of things on these quads.
Now I just bring my pipe with me for emergencies when on trips.

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
1/2 drive impact for me. Its about 25 years old and has goo-goobs of power!

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Propane torch or an MPA gas torch works good too, they aren't much more, have yellow cylinders instead of blue/green. I borrow a friends 1/2" impact and little pancake compressor when dealing w/ axle nuts, or else I chalk the 3 remaining tires lower the lift so they are on ground, lock brakes put it in 4 low, and try then... they are tough.. normally torqued to 200ft/lb

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before I had an impact I used about a 3 foot piece of pipe that fit over the handle of my ratchet (bought it at CTC), but an impact is worth it's weight in gold for working on a lot of things on these quads.
Now I just bring my pipe with me for emergencies when on trips.
Thats the exact same thing I did. First time I had to do that I ended up using huge plumbers wrench with a pipe over the handle. I set and locked the brakes then lifted the front end up, placed the pipe handle on a cinder block, and lower the quad slowly and let its own weight break the nut loose.

Honestly, tight is tight, you dont need to tighten it down THAT much. People in repair shops dont check the torque settings on their impact wrenches when they put those things on. I use a 3ft breaker bar now to put them on and take them off. I consider snugging it down with 3ft of leverage tight enough to keep the bearings solid eliminate excess handling flex.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
If the repair shop is not using a torque wrench...........get a new repair shop!!!!!!!
A good repair shop snugs the nuts up with an impact and then uses a torque wrench for final.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it off guys, I just put a new breaker bar on er, 3 ft, and I jumped and jumped and juimped, and it would move a few mm at a time and I kept doing that and eventually she came off
thanks for all the replies!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts