Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
treechopper
Whaddaya say folks, has anyone ever used or seen one of these in use? They look like a great set-up, but then, so do Polaris atv's if you watch they're videos. It would be useful for my Dad and I to have and I think around here I could make a few extra bucks lopping off cedars in pastures for other people.
JD

·
Registered
96 Posts
Man, I work with construction equipment daily and have to say that will probably work, but it is going to beat your atv to death in a matter of weeks or months! Anything you "run into stuff" will eventually break itself and whatever its being driven by! We ran an attachment on a Bobcat for a few months that was far more sturdy than that thing that basically did the same thing but also used hyd cutters and it wore out parts at an alarming rate! If you get one keep us posted on the aftermath of the cutter and the atv pushing it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Jan 8 2007, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can't see the video, but it looks like a decent product. Wonder how much it would squat the front end?[/b]
I don't think it would much. It looks fairly light, especially for a manly machine like an Arctic Cat.

The video is a must see. It's impressive.

I think the key to the longevity of the cutting blades is going to be keeping it out of the dirt.

I wish trees were a problem here! I have some places that I have planted trees half a dozen times.

Jay

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Found a place with a price TreeChopper and here is a video:

[attachment=60000:treechopper.wmv]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good link Jay. According to the Can-Am/Yamaha dealership in Topeka, they've sold several of these in the last year and everyone has been happy with them, as long as the grass isn't too long where you are using it. They quoted me the same price as on the link. I called my Cat guy and he said he had one that's never been mounted but has sat outside and has some surface rust on the blade. He knocked $400 off for me because of that. Wednesday I'm gonna pick it up. I'll let y'all know how it works for me.
Jay, I'd happily send you some cedars, they're everywhere down here and I hate walking through the pasture with a chain saw cutting them off at ground level. I'm a clutz and as you know, dirt is real hard on chain saws.
Flyinscootrpilot, what parts were you wearing out? on the bobcats/cutters?
JD

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Jan 8 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's a different setup than I thought it would be. That video is cool![/b]
If you can get the video to work from the main site that JD posted, it's worth it. It's probably a couple of minutes long. It can cut up to 4"!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looks like it could work, but I usually do that without the attachments. LOL

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WINGER @ Jan 8 2007, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Looks like it could work, but I usually do that without the attachments. LOL[/b]
Yeah, right now for the little trees, I just run over them, then get off and smack 'em once or twice with a hatchet at ground level. Works good but this'll be much easier.
The first dealership I went to had the full video on DVD. It ran about 4 minutes I think. The designer says he has one unit with about 40000 trees cut with it. Guess we'll see, I'm picking it up on Wednesday.
JD

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got it and had it hooked up to the old TRV today. Dad and I took it out and tried it out this evening. I started out a little hesitant and found out real quick why the last the dealer said was, "be aggressive with it, speed is the key." If you try and baby it, even a little cedar will stop you cold. You have to accellerate through the tree and then even a 4" cedar won't slow you down. Cat Dancin' thumbguy Just a POP! and the tree falls over. It's slicker than all get-out. Rockerdude I really like this thing, works like a charm. I think it's rigged kinda like a snow plow, bracket at about the center of the frame and then continues on back and hooks to the receiver hitch. I'll try and post some pics of it tomorrow. If I can figure out how to put video on the computer, I'll post a short vid from the driver's seat. I think this is going to prove once again that work done from an ATV really isn't work at all. I'll keep you all updated on how it works out.
JD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts