Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 450 started 3 weeks ago now I can't get it to start. The battery is fine and it turns over. How can I drain the gas out of it and put fresh in just in case it is the gas. Where can I locate the spark plug?? Do I have to take a panel off in order to locate and check it? I looked in the service manual but it doesn't show where the spark plug is located.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
in your owners manual it will how you how to get to the spark plug
as for how to get the fuel out, is this a carb'd machine, or a EFI(sorry not familiar with all yr/model atv's)
if carb'd, you can remove the fuel line and drain from peacock, if EFI< you can use a transfer pump to suck out the fuel thru the cap, or remove tank and drain that way(can do this on a carb'd machine too)

and are you certain the kill switch is in RUN< as many times folks bump it to off and its easily over looked when trying to start and , many folk's jump to the idea real fast its something ELSE before checking, so, have a look, never know LOL

·
Registered
493 Posts
As far as removing gas out of a tank get yourself a Shaker Siphon tube. It will suck the gas out quickly once you get the siphon action moving. I swapped out the petcock last year on my Suzuki Eiger, but my fuel tank was 3/4 full.

Stick the brass end down in the tank full of gas place your thumb over the exit end of the hose to create vacuum and shake it. You'll see the gas coming up the clear hose line and then remove your thumb to transfer into a gas container. Works great and suck's that fuel out pretty fast, at least 99% of it. :smile

Here's a link below where you can get one,also a lot of other places sell the Shaker Siphon.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200603938_200603938

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Owners manual and service manual do not show where spark plug is. Kill switch is in run position. ATV turns over but does not start. So I guess will have to take it to a mechanic to have it looked at which is nnot going to be cheap!!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Remove side panel on left side and you should be able to see spark plug wire. It can’t be that hard to remove panel.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Owners manual and service manual do not show where spark plug is. Kill switch is in run position. ATV turns over but does not start. So I guess will have to take it to a mechanic to have it looked at which is nnot going to be cheap!!
well no one says you have to take it to a mechanic here> there are tons of things you can do yourself, changing a spark plug should be one of them, since I DON"T have your make/yr/model atv, maybe have a look here and see if either of these fit your's?/

ALSO< there is a thing called a service manual, many can be found FREE online in a download, and or there is always hard copy paper service manuals,
if you PLAN to keep this atv a while, there WORTH BUYING and having on hand to do repairs and or PM"s, they also make for a great place to LOG and track all repairs and PM"S you do
they can be found in many places, even try E bay for a used one, or NEW one's at dealer> or??

as an example for a NEW one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Arctic-Cat-450-ATV-Service-Manual-2258-724-/381086359769

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
how do you know battery is fine did you pull it and have it tested or grab a multi meter and test it yourself? EFI machines are sensitive to low voltage and with the year of that machine if its the original battery i would say its probably shot..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery is fine - was new last year. Took it and had it tested also. Found out a mouse had been in my air filter and clogged it. Having to take it to a mechanic to get it looked at and see if anymore damage was done by the mouse. Drained all gas also and put in fresh and changed the spark plug. Thanks for all your responses

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
FirecatV2
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing