Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you guys have such a wealth of information (buttering up Not worthy:) I need to know the following:

I'm looking to buy a trailberable cover for my 05' 650 this week as I'm going on a 3 day ice fishing trip up north friday. I'm torn between getting AC's cover or going with another (generic) cover. I don't have any accessories on my racks...yet. And this is where to problem comes in.

It looks like AC's cover will only fit if you don't have any acc's, which I don't, but some day hope to. The AC's cover looks like it cost around $130~$140 and if I'm only going to be able to put it on without any acc.'s then I'm not sure if I should spend that type of money...but...I'm leary of the generic covers as the quality will become an issue and will any of those fit at all. Help?!?

Do any of you guys (or girls) have any pro's or con's on AC's trailerable cover? Should I go with the AC or generic cover? And if I go with a generic cover is there any out ther out their that you would recommend? Sorry for the long post...

:chug: Jim

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Adirondack Jim, I bought the AC covers 2 years ago and use them when we make long trips. We have been to West Virginia, out to Utah and other places and the covers show no wear. The thing I like the most is that they fit tight, look nice and keep your machines protected against the elements. Would buy another set if something should happen to these! thumbguy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sodbuster...I'm going to call my local AC dealer and see what he's charging...I guess if I did get some accessorys they could be removed easily (speedrack) and put in my truck.

I've still been searching the net for other trailerable covers and the only one I found so far that looked decent was in Cabela's. Although the height on the XXL (biggest one) is only 32" and my ATV is 84.8" tall...so maybe that one is out. See the picture below.

Well I'll keep looking and would like to hear from anyone else that has a trailerable cover...

Jim

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Here's a tip. Got to any outlet that sells big gas barbecues. Some of those barbeque's are the size of an AC. They have a variety of covers for them and they're pretty stout. The nice thing about them is that they have a draw string around the bottom that you can snug up to the bottom of the wheels. Chances are you can get a good one for fifty bucks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
denis kirk sells some that look pretty decent and not at bad price.Not for sure of the quality(materal thickness) because I haven't seen one in person but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
434 Posts
A Jim dont know if it matersto you are not and you may have already noticed.The cabellas gas tank cover is in the front it looks like.I am also kicking around the idea of getting one for traveling.Just kinda lerrey of people jacking with it if we stay at a hotel.It might draw more attention if some bad guy sees a big cover and decides to see whats under neath.I know it is being a little pranoid but this is the stupid stuff I think of.

·
Registered
434 Posts
A Jim dont know if it matersto you are not and you may have already noticed.The cabellas gas tank cover is in the front it looks like.I am also kicking around the idea of getting one for traveling.Just kinda lerrey of people jacking with it if we stay at a hotel.It might draw more attention if some bad guy sees a big cover and decides to see whats under neath.I know it is being a little pranoid but this is the stupid stuff I think of.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Here's a tip. Got to any outlet that sells big gas barbecues. Some of those barbeque's are the size of an AC. They have a variety of covers for them and they're pretty stout. The nice thing about them is that they have a draw string around the bottom that you can snug up to the bottom of the wheels. Chances are you can get a good one for fifty bucks.[/b]
Borat- that's a pretty cool idea...I'm not sure if it would work as there would be no place to hook the tie-downs and could a BBQ cover take wind abuse for 200 miles at highway speeds???

A Jim dont know if it matersto you are not and you may have already noticed.The cabellas gas tank cover is in the front it looks like.I am also kicking around the idea of getting one for traveling.Just kinda lerrey of people jacking with it if we stay at a hotel.It might draw more attention if some bad guy sees a big cover and decides to see whats under neath.I know it is being a little pranoid but this is the stupid stuff I think of.[/b]
Mud-I did notice the gas tank cover was behind the handlebars...It didn't matter as I was only looking to keep my ATV from getting all sh**t when pulling behind my truck in the winter months. I don't think it matters if your ATV is covered or not, if someone wants to jack your ATV they are going to try it either way.

denis kirk sells some that look pretty decent and not at bad price.Not for sure of the quality(materal thickness) because I haven't seen one in person but it's worth a look.[/b]
Thanks 4j- I think we have a winner!!! See the pic below..only thing is it says it fits an 05' 500 AC (not 650)which is basically the same size as mine...right??? right???

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adirondack_Jim @ Jan 30 2007, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Here's a tip. Got to any outlet that sells big gas barbecues. Some of those barbeque's are the size of an AC. They have a variety of covers for them and they're pretty stout. The nice thing about them is that they have a draw string around the bottom that you can snug up to the bottom of the wheels. Chances are you can get a good one for fifty bucks.[/b]
Borat- that's a pretty cool idea...I'm not sure if it would work as there would be no place to hook the tie-downs and could a BBQ cover take wind abuse for 200 miles at highway speeds???

A Jim dont know if it matersto you are not and you may have already noticed.The cabellas gas tank cover is in the front it looks like.I am also kicking around the idea of getting one for traveling.Just kinda lerrey of people jacking with it if we stay at a hotel.It might draw more attention if some bad guy sees a big cover and decides to see whats under neath.I know it is being a little pranoid but this is the stupid stuff I think of.[/b]
Mud-I did notice the gas tank cover was behind the handlebars...It didn't matter as I was only looking to keep my ATV from getting all sh**t when pulling behind my truck in the winter months. I don't think it matters if your ATV is covered or not, if someone wants to jack your ATV they are going to try it either way.

denis kirk sells some that look pretty decent and not at bad price.Not for sure of the quality(materal thickness) because I haven't seen one in person but it's worth a look.[/b]
Thanks 4j- I think we have a winner!!! See the pic below..only thing is it says it fits an 05' 500 AC (not 650)which is basically the same size as mine...right??? right???
[/b][/quote]

To you and I, if it will fit a 500, it will fit a 650. To the vender, it won't fit because they can squeeze anonther $20.00 out of us for the 650 cover.

Know what I mean?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have thought about a cover as well, although I would think that there would be somthing slapping or rubbing in the wind that could wear down the plastic like putting a can under the rack. Any experience?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
That's the nice thing about AC covers they are made for AC's and do fit really snug. We have pulled 5 to 6000 miles with them on and no rubbing away plastic or paint on the racks. Granted they are more expensive but the quality is there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
As Sodbuster has said these covers fit tight. I haven't used mine yet just because I haven't taken the time to put it on when hauling the quad. I have put it on in the garage and was impressed with the adjustments you can make to make it fit like a glove. Something else you can think about is putting a tool box in front of your trailer to catch debri off your tires. I did this and it made a big difference, plus you have storage.

Sodbuster, I'm assuming you haul your quad in a forward fashion as suggested? It doesn't look like a cover would work any other way, but was curious to see how you did it.

Jake

·
Registered
609 Posts
Guys, I am not trying to be smart but here goes....I have been riding cat sleds since 96. Always bought a cat cover and they are in my opinion the best. Excellent fit, But I do put a cat underliner underneath (like a fitted cotton blanket)to prevent wear marks from salt and sandgetting in the canvas and scratching the paint. probably more of an issue with the cowling of sleds than a bike but I never had a problem. and the cover wears well too.
I have had friends buy the aftermarket stuff and they work well too but there always seems to be a compromise in fit etc.

BTW, if you don't want anyone to mess with your bike...Just put a POLARIS cover on it!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Jake
Your right we haul them end to end. Put my wife's 400 on front for the first time last time and my 650 on back, but the wind moved her cover quite a bit, so switched my 650 in front of hers and didn't have any more trouble. I sure the wind would whip them if you tried to hall them sideways, but might be alright if you had several together? With the way their made the wind passes over and under thru the weels

We've been thur rain, snow, salt and gravel roads and it sure protects them. I also like the way they cover tires and rims. My theory is when their covered its out of site and out mind. Plus the cover makes a good place to attach an Alarm. thumbguy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.