Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Artic Cat Alterra 570
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to ATV world have 2021 Alterra 570.Looking into ice fishing and wanted to know were I can buy tire chains or studs for tires on bike,Kendra bear claws stock size.thanks.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Carbide "Grip Studs" have worked well for me , but on ice only. Not a fan of chains, but some tires are better than others in snow. Ice, though, Grip Studs are great, though a bit expensive. Remove them come spring, Bad thing about them, they are hard on asphalt and concrete. Try them near the center of the tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know a guy who uses self tapping screws for eves drain spouts and swears by them. And they are exponentially cheaper.

I've never used anything myself other than 4x4. I've gone uphill on 2" thick ice on the stock wheels and it wasn't bad.
Drove all over on too slippery to walk on ice today on my ATV with outlaw 2's with no issues and they are all lug.

Are you having issues or just wanting some grip insurance?

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I've used the same Grip Studs for about 5 years. Screw in around December, remove in March. Might take an hour for 4 tires. The bad: They will scratch the concrete floor in my shop. You only need them in the center of your tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ahhh, ya, I'm a bit ocd in taking care of things, so scratching the floors would be huge to me. A ways back when I first got an ATV and plow I thought of getting chains, but they are fairly expensive. So I passed, I've had no issues plowing heavy wet snow with 489's, big horns, or Outlaw 2's. Outlaws are best for pushing but steering sucks on an ice base, big horns were avg good with really good steering. The 489's, I sometimes had issues reversing if I got close to max clearance.

But just going fishing, I suspect the bigger issue is what is your typical terrain and snow type.

Most tires have zero issue in fluffy snow, and 4x4 is fine on ice. Big horns for me have issues in 1ft heavy wet snow that is like sand, but much better on ice. Crazy mud tires like the outlaws go through anything, but ice is just okay, might be issues with hauling on ice.

My KQ I just ran the stock 489's in the summer and the big horns in the winter for plowing and loading firewood into a trailer to bring in the wood to the house through the snow.

Maybe you just need a 2nd set of tires for your purpose.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I drive 250 to 350 kms per season on the frozen and snow covered lakes ice fishing and towing . I use Maxxis Bighorns (1”lugs) and i have excellent travel results from ice screws in the front tires and chains on the rear. When conditions allow im traveling at high speeds

Send me a PM if you have questions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts