Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been talked about a lot over the years, pros/cons, can it be done, which boxes to use, what mods would need to be made, etc

I've seen a couple Cats on portals, one Cash Performance races, and a pic of another, but those that did it have been REALLY tight-jawed with the information on how it was done

So i decided to just go for it.

Had my 2018 mudpro down for top end, motor mounts, and a few other things that needed to be done, so i figured it would be a good time .Bought the mudpro new in 18, did 2.5" MTI lift, shaved primary, clocked secondary to a2, added 32" assassinators, arched tie rod on left side to clear actuator, relocated the radiator, blah blah she was pretty badass, walked plenty of "bigger" quads in the mud

Ordered 4" prowler boxes since the a arms, hubs, all the other suspension components is shared with the ATV
Went with 35" STI r4 tires on 20" system 3 wheels

Had to custom fab brake lines 8" longer for the fronts, other 2 legs stayed same.
Also custom fabbed tie rods out of 1" chromoly with 3/8 LH heims on the inside, 1/2 on the outboard end
Had to swap a caliper hanger from one of my parts machines for the rear brake, they only included 2 in the set (mudpro comes with the larger hangers since theyre on 14" wheels from factory)
Had to swap left and right front calipers to get the bleeders above
Had to clearance the floorboard supports, and of course the plastic floorboards to clear the tires

Not sure yet on the clutching. I want to be able to trail ride in low gear still, and rpms are a little higher than i want them at trail speeds to may go to a non-mudpro sleeve to bring that back down a bit.

Anyway, for those interested, thats whats up, and whats required.
I will include some pics if the website lets me upload them
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,122 Posts
That is the coolest thing we have seen on Achat for a long time!! Good on you!’
Very nicely done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow.
when i first joined this forum back in 13 or so (forgot my login at one point so i made a new one in 18) i remember learning more from your advice, posts, and comments than any other person here. Gave me a chill to receive that type of compliment.Thanks for making my day

·
Administrator
40,122 Posts
You’re very welcome !!
What was your old user name?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Very cool ride. Would love to see a video of it in the mud

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to clearance the floorboard supports a little more, tires still scrubbing a bit. Decided to throw on a backup light while I was at ito_O
Yellow Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Composite material
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Mode of transport Automotive exterior
Yellow Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Composite material

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
How much ground clearance are you gonna have?

·
Premium Member
‘07 AC 650 H1
49 Posts
Awesome buggy!!!
I’ve been studying the same thing for a while now with the 4” portals.
The 700 prowler is closest for me and I know I can make it work, but I’m gonna keep studying from the 2010 prowler to the 2013 to get better ball joints.
I sure am glad to see it done though!
Where’d you get your aarms?
I’m having no luck finding them for sale...probably gonna have a shop build mine if I can’t find’m.

·
Premium Member
‘07 AC 650 H1
49 Posts
Awesome buggy!!!
The 700 prowler is closest for me and I know I can make it work, but I’m gonna keep studying from the 2010 prowler to the 2013 to get better ball joints.
I’m having no luck finding them for sale...probably gonna have a shop build mine if I can’t find’m.
I see now after zooming in...
He replied to me email not long ago that they don’t make’m any more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome buggy!!!
These are arched a arms built by mudtechinc
They don't make them anymore.
Tbh i'm using superatv HD ball joints made for the prowler, but I don't like the angles much. Think i'm going to go with ball joint delete backing plates, got a fab shop not too far away who will replace the ball joints with heims. 1200 bucks, but honestly at this point, what's another 1200 bucks?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Reactions: teamnasty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update -as i was afraid of, the rpms were higher than i wanted cruising the yard in low gear, so i swapped in a non-mudpro sleeve from one of my partout machines. Much better.

Shakedown ride saturday, hope it goes well.

Here's a pic next to the Duramax on 33's for comparison :D
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
40,122 Posts
Very nice!

Can’t wait to see it muddy

·
Premium Member
‘07 AC 650 H1
49 Posts
Yea! I like it, just what I’ve been thinking.
Keep us updated on pros & cons.
My Camo Cat is fixing to get a BIG brother.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So lil shakedown ride yesterday -

My buddy who was leading took us straight to the bounty hole, as I knew he would. Walked it out, just above nipple deep. Cool.
No bitch in me, so the wife and I dropped in, made it about 30 feet and she died.
Some moron (waving hand) forgot to connect the crankcase vent tube to the airbox. Slap full of water....airbox, crankcase, cylinder, throttle body, all of it.
Hour or so back at camp, got her drained, few oil changes, CONNECTED VENT TUBE, and we were off again.
Rode the sloppy nasty thick mud (little scared to hit water again yet, after all the top end is brand new, and got lucky once already) until the cooling fan died and the dreaded p0116 hit me.
Another ride of shame, but she loaded up on the trailer on her own power, so I call that a win....
Swapped a fan off one of my parts machines on today, she's ready for shakedown part II next Saturday.

Takeaways - the portals performed better than i'd hoped for. HUGE gain in low end grunt without more work for the motor. Stayed in the low 4k rpms while trail riding in low gear, never once felt the want for 4wd even in the thickest gumbo mud.
If you ride deep mud and have the coin to drop, DO IT lol

·
Administrator
40,122 Posts
It pays to double check and not get in a hurry. Glad to hear you didn’t hurt the motor.
Pics next time

1 - 20 of 26 Posts