Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

ATV Gearing

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DUHNIS 
#1 ·
Alright guys, a buddy of mine was telling me that i can gear my 2007 AC 700 Auto so that i can either have more low end power or have more top end power. Is there any gearing things that i can do to it that arnt too hard to do? or waht gearing can i do if any in an automatic? I dont know much about the gearing just clutching stuff. Help me out i want to know what to tell him.

#2 ·
Well, this would be the first time I've heard of any gearing change for the 700. I know they put 4.0 gears on the V2 in 2006...not sure what they put in for gears on the 700. If they put in the 3.6 gears, then you could likely bump up to the 4.0 (ain't necessarily cheap mind you). As for getting anything geared higher for more top end...haven't heard of that at all.

#3 ·
Me thinks your buddy is talking about "tuning" the clutch, and he probably rides a popo or kawi. If your running stock tires you probably dont want to change anything.

#4 ·
Sanny is correct the 700 runs the 3.6 differential gears, if you are running huge tires the 4.0 gears out the 06 V2 would be the hot ticket.

For a lot less money you can get the Speedwerx 700 clutch kit, it uses smaller rollers allowing the clutch to shift into a lower range. You will lose a little top end speed though.

Speedwerx 700 clutch kit

As far as gearing up goes that is easy, taller tires. Having the power to turn them to actually gain top end speed is the hard part.

#5 ·
ok so the 4.0 gears would give me more low end or more top end? And also i have the speedwerx kit but the weights for that kit are heavier than stock, not lighter. which makes the belt grab better but with more of a sluggish start. im running 25 inch 589's which are 10inches wide all the way around. im thinking of replacing the clutch kit weights with the stock weights but leaving the spring in and see what happens. what do you guys think?

#6 ·
4.0 gears will give you more low end,,

#7 ·
Low end grunt cost high end dollars!

#8 ·
That sluggish feel you have in your 700 is normal from everything I've read. It was the same with my V2. I got a Moose module and it removed that sluggish feeling immediately. I don't know if a module is made yet for the 700 Cats...

Essentially, the more low end you gain the more top end you lose, and visa versa. That's why a Ferrari is blazing fast but can't tow a squirrel in a red rider wagon. On the flip side is a tractor...pulls a house off the foundation, but won't break any land speed records. What you have to do is define your own "sweet spot" for your riding style and aim for it.

#9 ·
Sanny is correct.... about the squirrel...Or the Ferrari.... heehee

gears will give better low torque at the sacrifice of speed... also adding a clutch kit will increase the rpm that it engages

#10 ·
Like has been mentioned, the 4.0 gears in the diffs will set you back about $1500+/- for the pair but give you ALOT more low end. Higher gearing can only be done with larger tires which in turn, will rob power also. I know someone is working on a module for the 700 Suzuki (probably work on the AC700efi) thats supposed to fix the low end lag, I think its VDI????

#11 ·
the 4-0 gear will cost you 500 to 600 us that is complete diffs front and rear

#14 ·
$750 done with your diffs sent in and modded to 4.0s at Custom Shrevports is the best I have found without being able to do them myself,,,I dont have the tools or the knowledge, only project Ive shyed away from. You really want them done right the first time...doing them yourself buying the gears even at cost your looking at $600 for all the parts needed front and rear...

#16 ·
I looked into lower gearing and the difference appears to be the 9 tooth pinion shaft and the thick ring gear spacer of the 4.0 ratio as compared to the 10 tooth pinion and a thinner ring gear spacer used on the 3.6 ratio. The dealer said that the ring gear was the same part #. Is this true ? If so, it can't cost all that
much, can it ??? 2 pinion shafts, 2 ring gear spacers , 2 sets of ring gear bolts and some shims to set things up right, and 2 diff housing gaskets , if used.

Duhnis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.