Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started a post in the general section about jetting my 07 h1 after putting 2" snorkels on it.

I went to put in a 137.5 keihin jet and upon pulling out my stock main jet I noticed that the hole in the middle is about half the size of the hole in the 137. I thought that was kinda odd.

I inspected the stock main and on the side of the jet I found the number 85, but didnt think anything about it. Well after some searching around on the forums and on the keihins website it appears that my stock main, was in fact an 85 main jet.

How in the hell could that be? I thought stock was suppose to be 132?

With an 85 shouldn't it be running VERY lean? It had a lean pop once in a while but not very often. With that small of a jet shouldn't it have burned down a long time ago?

I'm speechless.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ah! the 85 is the STATER JET #11 not the MAIN JET. The main jet is directlly below the slide needle jet screwed into a brass tube. See #9 below.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yip, that would be it......

BM...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man I feel stupid.

Sanny, apparently it doesn't do anything. Because I drove it up and down the street with a 137.5 starter jet in it, lmao and it made absolutely no difference in the way it ran.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. I got the jets switched around. Put the 85 back in the starter slot and put a 142.5 in for a main and turned the mixture screw out a half a turn.

It made a world of difference. Completely stock I could barely get the front tires off the ground in low sitting on the seat. I just took it for a spin now, the first time I put it in low and stood on it I damn near flipped it over, she went straight up. If I wouldn't have let off the throttle she would have hit the back rack. In high I can get the front tires off the ground about 8 inches if I get it rolling a little bit. From a dead stop it won't do anything.

I haven't done any plug chops yet. That's on tomorrows agenda.

Do you think I should put any washers under the needle?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
As for shimming the needle, that will give you mid range gains. If your acceleration is even all the way through, then you're good. If you feel it not pull as well in the mid range, then shim it and see what happens. I snork'd mind and ended up putting 2 shims on my needle and it was a night and day difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That sure is some good information. I am getting ready to rejet my 07 650 H1 and this helps alot, but could I ask a favor of someone? I haven't been in 650 much yet other than basically just checking it out and getting familiar with the Cat. Could someone give me some step by step instructions on how to do this? I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
It's a piece of cake friend. Here's how I got to mine on my 2005 H1:

1. Take seat off.
2. Take right side plastic cover off.
3. Remove belt exhaust duct and boot.
4. Disconnect crank breather tube from bottom of airbox and tuck to the side or rear.
5. Loosen up the two carb boot clamps.
6. Disconnect airbox duct from carb and slide carb out of intake boot (boot between block and carb).
7. Rotate the bowl (bottom) of the carb towards you.
8. Unscrew the 4 screws holding the bowl on and remove bowl. If it's stuck to the carb, tap lightly with handle of screwdriver. It'll come off.
9. Replace jet(s).
10. Complete steps 4-8 in reverse order (step 8 first, then 7, etc...).
11. Start and let warm up a bit then take 'er for a rip.

Once the jetting is all dialed in, then put your belt exhaust and plastic back on. Once you do it once, you'll be able to get in there and do it soup to nuts in about 15 minutes. THe hardest part about the whole thing really is trying to get that silly smirk off your face once it's dialed in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much.

I put 1 #4 washer under the needle, but it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm going out in a little bit to try 2 #4 washers and see if it makes a difference.

I also picked up a 140 main jet to see how that works. Haven't put it in yet.

I have nice shiny new 1/8" drill bit I'm gonna try out too. Rockerdude

I have a couple issues with my pms. lol That didn't sound right. When I have it turned out about half a turn it starts to starve itself, anymore than that and it idles fine. I turned it out to 4-4.5 turns and it doesn't seem to make any difference in how it idles. I might throw a 1 size bigger pilot in it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Apr 5 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's a piece of cake friend. Here's how I got to mine on my 2005 H1:

Once the jetting is all dialed in, then put your belt exhaust and plastic back on. Once you do it once, you'll be able to get in there and do it soup to nuts in about 15 minutes. THe hardest part about the whole thing really is trying to get that silly smirk off your face once it's dialed in.[/b]
Sanny is right. The first time you do it it may seem a bit complicated. But once you do it a time or two its cake walk. I can change my jets in under 15min. and that includes putting it back together.

Yes once it's dialed in, or even close to it, it makes a big difference. After I put my snorkles on I took it down the road and it didn't feel any different than it did stock. Then I turned my pms out a half a turn and went up to a 142.5 main jet and it felt like a whole new bike. She went from barely being able to lift the tires off the ground to dragging the back rack if you ain't careful.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I put 1 shim under my needle and it helped a little, but not a lot. Put 2 under it and holy crap...hang on. You're goal is a a consistent and steady pull/acceleration through the entire range.

Try a bigger pilot...that should help.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple updates.

I drilled the slide out with a 1/8" bit. It did get rid of the little bit of bog on take off. Definately worth the price considering it's free.

I put 2 washers under the needle. I think it might have gotten a tad worse. When I'm at a dead stop in high and mash the gas it seems like it might have just a very slight bog in the mid range til she hits the higher rpm's then she takes off like a banshee.

I did a plug chop with 1 washer running it around 1/2 throttle, varying just slightly. It looked a little too light for my tastes. I think I may just run 2 washers, I'd rather have it a little rich than too lean.

Haven't gotten to mess with the pilot yet. That's tomorrows project.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Do the pilot tomorrow and I bet that bog clears right up. It's not getting enough fuel out of the gate, so if you cure that, you'll be good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do. Thanks sanny.

BTW, do you happen to know what the stock pilot is? I think it's 40 on the 05 and 06's. Is it smaller for the 07 since it has the 36mm? I'm hoping the 07 has a 40 too because I have a 42 sitting sitting right here.

I could run out there and pull it out quick and check but ya know, it's dark and cold outside and I feel like a wuss today. lol

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Yeah, not sure on the 07's. MY 05 has the 40 pilot as you suggest. I think between that and the pilot air screw, you'll be all square.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the 42 pilot put in. I ended up runnning the pms screw at 1 1/4 turns out. I had it at 2 but it was too rich. At idle and slow speeds the plug was a little black, and I had to give it a little gas to get it started. At 1 1/4 turns at idle and slow speeds the plug was a decent brown color.

Now the problem, when it is cold it idles real low and wants to die. I have to burp the throttle once in a while to keep it running. When it's warmed up it fires right off and purrs at about 1400 rpm, doesn't miss a beat. I can't figure it out.

I did have to take 1 washer off of the slide, 2 was too much. I took it down a gravel for about 1/8th mile at about half throttle, the plug was a little black. With 1 washer it was about right.

I am gonna have to go with bigger main. Yesterday was the first time I got to open it up down a gravel road. At WOT the plug was pretty white.

I'm gonna run and pick up a 147.5 and a 150 today and try that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am going out to pick up the parts I need tomorrow to do the rejet. Any suggestions on what size to start with and what size washer if any?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Arctic, Sanny, are you guys using the stock needle? I bought the dynojet kit and it comes with a new needle, with 5 grooves on it and you have to set the height with eclips and two washers. If you are using the stock needle, are you putting the washers on top of or under the needle? I just rejetted a Kawasaki 250 this weekend using a dynojet kit and the instructions were way off and it ran too rich. The instructions for the H1 look very similiar stating to start the eclip at the 4th groove, just like the kawi. I ended up at the 2nd groove and it ran real good. The carbs are almost identical I think. CVK 34. Thanks, Brian

1 - 20 of 28 Posts