Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Christmas break this year we are going to go up to Atlanta and Gaylord for a week. From Atlanta we would like to ride down to Mio to visit some friends. Just wondering if anyone has ever made that ride before and if so could tell me how the trails are and if there are many gas stops along the way? Any other advice about what trails are good ride and any trails we should stay away from would be great. This will be only my third snowmobile trip up north so I am trying to learn as much as I can about the trails and the surrounding area before I get up there.

Thanks,
Rough Rider

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you gas up in atlanta you'll have enough gas to run to mio even with a wrong turn. i don't know what route you're thinking about taking ot give any advice on what stations you'll be passing or normal trail cond.. i will say that west side doesn't get as much snow as the east for trails especially that early in the season. If you're staying in gaylord take a treck one day during the week and run the r.r. grade up to mackinaw or jump trails through the jordan valley and indian river all of which are nice rides. check http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/snowmobi...ails/index.html this'll give you most gas stops and trail conditions when it gets closer to date

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
That is a very busy week for that area during the christmas break. When there is snow it is a great area. West of 75 typically has more snow from effect and gets less the further east you go. If there is snow on the east all the way to alpena this will be you better area to ride in. The trail that goes from grayling all the way to the mac bridge is heavily traveled use this trail only in the morning. Does not matter how much it is groomed it will get rough after 1pm. Head north up to miilerburg/cheybogan, the area up there known as the black hills is a very fun spot, lots of snow from the lake effect. Make sure to get maps off that area or pick up a gps, lots of fun areas north east of atlanta on old 2 tracks and seasonal roads. One thing to remember when riding if the road sign ends in a road it will meet another road/rd, if it ends in trail/tr it may come to a dead end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I am so late in responding to you guys but the past week as been crazy at school with papers and midterms. Hope to see you guys on the trail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts