Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well artic cat is trying to back door me again. Mine is an 09 its been in the shop 13 times now three times last week for mag cover oil leak. well i got it back road 2 miles and it started knocking grinding scratchey noise so i shunt it down real quick. had it towed up to the shop pulled the dip stick not a drop of oil. Looked at the gasket the dealer just put in and it was hanging out leaked all my oil out in a hurry. The dealer called me said we put a new gasket in it filled it with oil and wellllllll it sounds like a thunder cat. Well after all the problems i have had and still haveing i lost it. i told the dealer how it was put a motor in it not president enginered. He the dealer shop manager said artic cat wont put a motor in it they want you to ok the tear down. well thats not going to happen because last time the dealer owner ok the tear down and i told him not to but he did any way and artic cat said we dont tear down engines we would of replaced it if it had a problem. Now there saying the complete oppsite. The problem i have is i was a tech for johndeere dealer and ran my dads small engine shop for a total of 18 yrs i know what happens if there ran with no oil. Im not willing to trust my life if a rod breaks or it locks up and loose control because of artic cats bull crap. Now there playing with my well being and thats not good not good at all. I was planning on riding in the mountains this year but thanks to artic cat looks like thats not going to happen. I just cant belive what a POS this machine of mine is and has been. And i cant belive there willing to put someones life at danger this bothers me really bad.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is trying to back door you, not AC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer wanted me to call artic cat about the engine deal and i told the dealer they were my dealer and artic cats dealership for artic cat that they need to call the shop manager and the owner both need to call cat and get it taken care of not me. And yes i have caught my dealer lieing to me before but i also caught cat CS manager lieing to me as well so i cant get neither one of them to tell me the truth. Where have peoples morals gone to. Its under full warrenty they need to fix it and fix it right. for one that is what a warrenty is intended to do and darn sure for saftey reasons. Let alone realiabilty of the machine which there is none what so ever. it has went 10 miles onec before i had to take it in for something. The res of the time has been 1 to 2 miles before it craped on me.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
if i gave my machine to a dealer to fix and i seen a gasket hanging out that they had just replaced.
1st thing it would have never got loaded on the truck 2nd thing i would have done is taken a few pics
with my cell, and 3rd id want to talk to the manager and the tech who worked on it and told them both that its totally un acceptible.

it wasnt dripping any oil when you picked it up? didnt the oil lite come on ? or flicker?

if your dealer put oil in this eng after it being run with none and said it runs just fine
if i were you id RUN!!.
you definitly need a real dealer to work on your machine, 1st thing would be to find another dealer.
ive been there and done that tango with my old tcats 08s.
from the sounds of things 1st thing id do without a dought is bring it to a real dealership with real mechanics.
2nd thing id be on the horn with cat (mine needed 6800.00 worth of work within 300 miles)
and explain what is going on, if they dont want to hear it, its time to get the atty gen involved.
they pretty much are on the consumers side, thats last resort if cat dont want to work with you.
in the past few years cat has stepped up on taking care of customers.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The guy was lying in bed recovering from a Heart attack with his wife sitting next to him in a chair by the bed. He says to
her, "Honey, you were with me when we lost our only child at birth, you were there when we had the car wreck, you
were there when the house burned down. you were along when we were in the plane crash, now this. You must be the
cause of all my problems, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME."

Unfortunately Deerhunterii, to solve your problems, you need go get a different hobby.

Just a joke, , Can't you invoke the lemon law or something to get a different machine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Okay...I've been to a whole bunch of county fairs and rodeos too and here's my suggestion for your course of action (I'm old and have a lot experience here, bear with me).

First and most important...chill! Do not let your emotions get in the way of getting your quad fixed. Wait until you are able to deal with this issue in a level headed manner. I'm with you here and I'd be very upset also, but pick your battles and be in control.

Assume AC and the dealer WANT to fix your quad and make you a happy camper and conduct your dealings accordingly. Being angry when you deal with the dealer or AC you will put them on the defensive and you'll never get what you want...your quad fixed.

Find a new dealer. Drive as far as you need to. Think about it. Would you rather be happy and have driven 400 miles or go across the street and be upset.

Sit down with the new dealer and his tech (ask to do this) and explain - in detail - EVERYTHING that has happened so far. Tell him you are not happy with the previous guy and that's why you are here. End with "What can WE do to get this fixed." See what he says and go from there. Extended warranty might be a good idea in the end.

Before all this starts sit down with yourself and have an honest discussion. Foremost is "WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO?" and "HOW FAR ARE YOU WILLING TO GO?" Then do it. If it involves small claims court then follow through if it gets that far. Get some legal advice prior if it comes to that. All this is going to take time and money...like I said, How far are you willing to go? Then go there. Break it down in increments you can handle w/out getting upset and systematically go through them one at a time until you get to the end.

I'm pretty confident you won't have to go beyond a new dealer and getting a plan to fix it. If you insist on a "new" crate motor you are likely to be disappointed if it's not forthcoming. Be happy if AC offers one. It's why I said extended warranty. If you reach for the moon and don't get there you'll be upset so be realistic. The ultimate objective here is to get you back on the road with a machine that will make you happy so if you start out by insisting on a new machine and it doesn't happen you'll be upset.

You'll get there...one step at a time in logical order. Going to the Attorney General right out of the box is the wrong approach to get to where you want to go. Like I said one step at a time and don't threaten, just follow through.

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimJa1943 @ Nov 11 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Okay...I've been to a whole bunch of county fairs and rodeos too and here's my suggestion for your course of action (I'm old and have a lot experience here, bear with me).

First and most important...chill! Do not let your emotions get in the way of getting your quad fixed. Wait until you are able to deal with this issue in a level headed manner. I'm with you here and I'd be very upset also, but pick your battles and be in control.

Assume AC and the dealer WANT to fix your quad and make you a happy camper and conduct your dealings accordingly. Being angry when you deal with the dealer or AC you will put them on the defensive and you'll never get what you want...your quad fixed.

Find a new dealer. Drive as far as you need to. Think about it. Would you rather be happy and have driven 400 miles or go across the street and be upset.

Sit down with the new dealer and his tech (ask to do this) and explain - in detail - EVERYTHING that has happened so far. Tell him you are not happy with the previous guy and that's why you are here. End with "What can WE do to get this fixed." See what he says and go from there. Extended warranty might be a good idea in the end.

Before all this starts sit down with yourself and have an honest discussion. Foremost is "WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO?" and "HOW FAR ARE YOU WILLING TO GO?" Then do it. If it involves small claims court then follow through if it gets that far. Get some legal advice prior if it comes to that. All this is going to take time and money...like I said, How far are you willing to go? Then go there. Break it down in increments you can handle w/out getting upset and systematically go through them one at a time until you get to the end.

I'm pretty confident you won't have to go beyond a new dealer and getting a plan to fix it. If you insist on a "new" crate motor you are likely to be disappointed if it's not forthcoming. Be happy if AC offers one. It's why I said extended warranty. If you reach for the moon and don't get there you'll be upset so be realistic. The ultimate objective here is to get you back on the road with a machine that will make you happy so if you start out by insisting on a new machine and it doesn't happen you'll be upset.

You'll get there...one step at a time in logical order. Going to the Attorney General right out of the box is the wrong approach to get to where you want to go. Like I said one step at a time and don't threaten, just follow through.

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress.[/b]
That is one of the best responses if not the best I've ever seen regarding warranty work and problem resolution.

·
Registered
99 Posts
search your states lemon laws. in illinois its 3 times in the shop withen one year or 30 consecutive days in the shop. They will have to give u a new machine or give money back. but each state is different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responces guys. Yea i got the lawyer on the case. See this is the second time the engine has had to come completely apart. the first time i fought with articcat about it they said we DONT tear them down we replace them. At that was kent the CS manager for articcat is who told me this. Well the dealer tore it down with out the ok from me and cat told me and the dealer its there baby not cats. It had 21 miles at the time. the dealer went to put it all together wasnt going to re ring it or nothing. well they finally put rings in and put it back together. Ever since then it has not been the same for the way it ran. Not even close well its been in 4 or 5 times for oil leaks and this last time they replaced the gasket on the mag cover. It wasnt leaking when i picked it up. I took it home and road it 1 mile pulled it in the shop came out the next morning and big oil spot. Well it was comeing out of a bolt on the same cover. I took it back up and they filled the hole with some kind of sealer and put the bolt back in. Now i know good and well if it was leaking around the bolt the gasket was tore around that bolt at that time or it would not of been leaking. i picked it up and kept my mouth shut came home road it parked it and no oil leak. So i thought its just a matter of time i was rideing it and the wife was rideing hers and we were haveing a fun afternoon well i was crusing along and my hearing sucks any way but man it started banging and banging hard makeing grinding scratchey noise so i shut it down. Pulled it back up here and low and behold the gasket they put in had blew out. I have about 10 pictures of it i will post some. Pulled the stick and no oil. The oil light never flashed or came on at all. But she was hammering. I guess the problem i have is the way articcat has delt with this whole thing ever since i bought it they have not help me one bit and neither has the dealer. If it was a 2000.00 machine then i can see it. But i paid 11,200.00 for this thing. I didnt want to get a lawyer involved it was my last resort. I would of rather them fixed it right and been done with it thats all i want. I want it fixed right and i told cat that. When i worked on JD equpiment before i became disabled thats how i did everything it was right and that was it. But they wanted patch it to get it by the dealer and articcat. Now after cat told me the first time they dont tear down they the dealer called me today and said we need you to ok the tear down cat wont do nothing until tore down. Now this is the exact oppsite of what cat told me the first time and i told the dealer that. So i told him what ever its warrenty so tear it down what ever but it needs a engine. dealer said we cant get an engine on the way until its tore down. so they were going to tear it down again and thats the last i have heard. Yea i get up set quick but ever since 10 miles it has been in the shop every 1 to 2 miles and that no lie. I bout it because i had back surgery that went wrong and i cant walk very well and some days hardley at all. So i need the machine not because i want it i need it to get around and do the things i live to do which is hunt and fish. I was useing the wifes but she has paid every dime for it her self and she was getting upset because im putting a bunch of miles on hers and i cant blame her for it. she hasnt really said it pissses her off but i know it does. I did get the extended warrenty when i bought it instead of the winch i got the warrenty. but the thing that bothers me is if im in the middle of no wear and it breaks down i cant get it out my self any more. And getting back to the truck may take me all day plus some. I jsut have no faith in the machine what so ever and its sad really sad. I will keep you guys informed on what happens but i would say its not good everything that has happened has not ben a good experince and i have yet to get it fixed and last more then 1 to 2 miles. Thanks guys again for the responces. i will work on pictures may take me a few to get it figured out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres a quick up date once again i get the shaft. articcat is refuseing to fix it right. he dealer told me after he talked to cat said all we can do is make it run again so there just going to put it together with a new cam and rockers. even thought it is knocking they refuse to put an engine in it. Im so sick at my stomach. This is unbelivable the only way they will fix it right is if i drop my law suit so they know there is a problem with my engine. Articcat told the dealer we arnt going to spend the money fixing it if we will have to spend the money later. I just cant belive it. I told the dealer im not excepting it if its not done right. So looks like im with out an atv for awhile. Real nice for articcat to leave a disabled guy with out his machine. Man this sucks guys but im not suprised i guess

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deerhunterjj @ Nov 23 2009, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Heres a quick up date once again i get the shaft. articcat is refuseing to fix it right. he dealer told me after he talked to cat said all we can do is make it run again so there just going to put it together with a new cam and rockers. even thought it is knocking they refuse to put an engine in it. Im so sick at my stomach. This is unbelivable the only way they will fix it right is if i drop my law suit so they know there is a problem with my engine. Articcat told the dealer we arnt going to spend the money fixing it if we will have to spend the money later. I just cant belive it. I told the dealer im not excepting it if its not done right. So looks like im with out an atv for awhile. Real nice for articcat to leave a disabled guy with out his machine. Man this sucks guys but im not suprised i guess[/b]

Hunter I've been following your plight with this ATV...I feel sorry for you no one should

have to go through this with a new machine...There is one thing I don't get...You say

that there is a lawsuit is that suit for AC to give you a new bike?...Reason I'm asking

because when your bike first started having the probs they never fixed it propely

Why the heck are they saying now if you drop the suit we will fix it right...They

are making your case for you so go for it and don't drop the suit...Get a new one

or your money back and then some...Good luck with it bud.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Rule #1 in any dealing. Never threaten legal action. You probably could have just had that motor replaced if they were unaware the possibility of a lawsuit being filed. At the time that they stated they wouldn't do anything for you since they were going to have to spend more money defending the lawsuit was any action actually filed or just threatened?

It sucks being without your machine, and I think it sucks more being lied to by both sides. All you can do now is ride it out and let the court sort it out.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
First off-JimJa1943, that is the best answer I've seen also when it comes to this kind of thing.
Second, your problems all stem from your dealer tearing the motor apart when he shouldn't have.
It basically took all warranty away from the quad (on the engine) because now it's that dealers engine work that Cat would be covering under warranty.
This is why most OEM's just replace whole assemblys (engine, rearend etc) instead of having the dealer actually fix the problem.
I know it's very frustrating, just try to keep your cool.
Finding another dealer would be my first order of business.....

BTI

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i will say if cat and my dealer told me that i would be talking to the atty general and channel 4 news call 4 action.

those are the people i called when myself,my dealer and fact cat went to battle
atty general had 2 attorneys rdy to do battle for free, and channel 4 news went to the dealer
to have them explain the story to the microphone , long story short after that i got a call from
cat factory telling me to take off any accesories i had put on the machine and that once done
they would confirm it with the dealer, then they sent me out a check for 11.700
sighned by tom twomey.

i can totally relate to your problems anger and frustration, because ive been there with cat.
you just need to come to your senses cool down and start the process.

the atty general will fight for you without a dime from your pocket and so wont channel 4 news

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really feel for you man. I have been through a very similar scenario. My 08 500 had been in the shop 10 times for 7 different problems. The dealer proved to be incapable of fixing even simple problems, so I had to finally cut my losses and trade it in on another machine. Partly because I knew it would continue to breakdown and partly because I knew the dealer wasn't capable of keeping it running when it did. Therefore, I did what I should have done in the first place and made my pick based on the dealer and and not the machine itself. However, don't let anyone fool you Arctic Cat has more problems then most, so it is extra important to have a good Arctic Cat dealership. I let the dealer "fix" everything so that I felt better about trading it in, and then traded it in on a much more expensive Can-am machine. I still have and love my 366, but it wasn't made by Arctic Cat.

Good Luck,

farmer2

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BTI @ Nov 23 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First off-JimJa1943, that is the best answer I've seen also when it comes to this kind of thing.
Second, your problems all stem from your dealer tearing the motor apart when he shouldn't have.
It basically took all warranty away from the quad (on the engine) because now it's that dealers engine work that Cat would be covering under warranty.
This is why most OEM's just replace whole assemblys (engine, rearend etc) instead of having the dealer actually fix the problem.

BTI[/b]
my dealer tore my tcat eng down 2wice completly and replaced every gasket/seal and cams
cat wont just ship an engine without opening up the orig.
and if the dealer tore it apart it still has a warrenty, just as if ford or chevy tore an eng down

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 23 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BTI @ Nov 23 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTI[/b]
my dealer tore my tcat eng down 2wice completly and replaced every gasket/seal and cams
and if the dealer tore it apart it still has a warrenty, just as if ford or chevy tore an eng down
[/b][/quote]

Didn't mean they'd ship it without opening to find out the problem....I should have clarified.
Interesting that they will let their dealers go into them that far and repair, especially when there are so few actual "Cat Certified" dealers out there.
I wonder if that mak a difference?

BTI

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BTI @ Nov 23 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 23 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BTI @ Nov 23 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTI[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Didn't mean they'd ship it without opening to find out the problem....I should have clarified.
Interesting that they will let their dealers go into them that far and repair, especially when there are so few actual "Cat Certified" dealers out there.
I wonder if that mak a difference?

BTI
[/b][/quote]

thats just it, they have to be cat certified to do any warrenty work if not it will be voided.
i think my dealer said he took 40 pictures of my tcat because cat wanted to see if it was modded in any way shape or form, before they would ok the teardown, i thought that was really strange.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Good call there BTI. Is the problem Cat is now being looked at to pay for shoddy workmanship of the dealer? The suit maybe should be against the dealer and not Cat. I hate to hear anyone go through these probelms. I know where issues drove me on my 08 TCat. I was fortunate to have a first rate dealer to help me sucessfully resolve my issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts