Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone And thank you in advance for any help you would be willing to give me on this. This is my first forum and my first post if I have entered this in the wrong spot it was not intentional. The sled has a few problems and I will list them out first. Sorry for the book, just don't want to waste any of your time!!
1) Has a very hard time starting.
2) Bogs down and sometime stalls when I am driving.
3) Burns antifreeze (about an inch on a 5 hour ride).
4) Plugs are black and wet after every ride, been replacing per ride.
5) This is the no battery EFI.

So here's the thing, sled sounds perfect when you get it running and drives great. It bogs down a few times but rarely stalls and if it does it starts right back up. If I try and start it it seems to flood right a way like three or four pulls. I have been putting a hair dryer under the hood for 30 minutes before I start and this is the only thing that seems to help. Basically I heat it pull it a few times change the plugs have some one hold the throttle and it usually starts right up. If I let it idle to warm up ten minuts drive around for another ten and let it sit it won't start again. I am going to get stuck its just a matter or when lol.

This is what I have found...

1) I have read a lot of posts and you guys are amazing!!
2) Spark is solid and blue.
3) I lifted the back end to make sure it didn't have something to do with learching when it's pulled to rule out the clutch.
4) I was told not to put any more dry gas because of ethanol but I did run a few things of Techron through about 10 tanks of gas. I switched to this new blue stuff that aperantly addresses the ethanol issue. Doesn't seem to have any effect on it with any of e above.
5) The speedometer just stopped working this week.
6) I did check everything looking for a wire or hole or anythign that seems broken, found one thing....(not to say ther isn't more).

7) I found a rip in the big rubber boot ( boot air silencer that connects to the throttle body) had a rip three inches long about an inch wide. When I removed all the clips I found it all black and wet looks more like an exhaust than an intake. The inside is covered and black and wet all around the opening to the throttle body. I am going to use carb cleaner today and clean that chamber all out to see if that will help it start but this can't be normal.

Any help you can give me would be great and thanks in advance for your help!

Wouldn't ask and would keep troubleshooting but we just got about a foot and another 8 coming today!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Have you checked to see if the exhaust has a sweetish smell?
I suspect that you need to replace head O-rings just based on what you have posted.

Hard starting is always one if these things;
low compression
lack of fuel
weak or no spark
And, with engines that have reeds, cracked/chipped/warped reeds will allow a loss of performance and contribute to starting issued.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this is thw wrong question but....I have the boot air silencer opened up. I figured it's ripped anyway and wanted to clean it best I could. So here's the question, what happens if I keep riding it? Blow up, destroy everything? Or just break down and have to do everything I would have to do anyway to replace the head O rings?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quit riding it while burning antifreeze right away. Your washing the cylinder out causing more problems for yourself. Fix the head gasket o rings or whatever is allowing the antifreeze to get into the combustion chamber then go from there. Dont focus on the EFI, etc, etc at this point, get your engine internals up to snuff then go after the other problems...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I really appreciate the insight. I don't think I can cost justify going down that road with a 1998. I have no real grasp of the time and money that is involved but off the cuff doesn't sound cheap lol. Or as the saying goes... I took my car to a mechanic the other day to get fixed he said 1500 give or take. I was pretty sure from the beginning who was going to give and who was going to take lol...thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It doesn't sound like there is much wrong with it really. The antifreeze leak is probably just o-rings on the head, about $15 a side. The non working speedo means it probably needs bearings on the driveshaft [email protected]$8 from the farm store. Black and wet plugs sounds like it may be over oiling which can be adjusted for $0. The airbox rubber is $30 new, or just silicone it up. Since this is the one between the throttle bodies and the airbox it isn't as critical. As for the running problems, they may go away if you fix this other stuff. If they don't, it could just be an adjustment of the throttle position sensor ($0).

If It were me I would give it a go, but it's your sled and your decision.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I wouldn't use silicone to fix that, I's use super glue to seal the tear.

Replacing O-rings is about an hours work and will improve performance greatly, may even solve the other running problems that you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys. 109 job, I dint realize that it was that cheap or easy, seems worth doing thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a few things to add...I just did a compression test and it looks like 135 on both sides. Is this good or bad? And do you think it would still be the O rings? Also here's something else, one of my sons can start the sled every time but myself and one of my other sons can't.... We all seem to be pulling it just as hard but it must need that extra bit he giving it but we are literally pulling a disk everytime we try and start it.....don't know if that's relevant other than my middle one thinks he can take me now but thought I would mention it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to download a manual tonight any suggestions on who's got the best one for a non mechanic??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys did the O rings , runs better lot less smoke! Still real hard to start. Basically have to rip your arm out of the socket to start it. Would the over oiling cause this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After researching I ended up downloading the Master Tech Manuals. Excelent manual clickable from section to section saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 97 580 Ext and I figured out the hard way, a hard start and bogging down on startup/out on trails is a bad battery, even if it may appear to test good. compression on mine is around 130, so at 135, you are good. I was eating through coolant and found out I had a bad seal on the waterpump which is right under the electric starter if you have it. If it"s not leaking out there and no hoses are leaking, I wouldn't recommend driving it which is likely a sign of a blown gasket(head, base). And from what i've heard on these sleds, your broken boot can cause your motor to cease from drawing in too much air (not entirely sure but from what I've read)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I have a 97 580 Ext and I figured out the hard way, a hard start and bogging down on startup/out on trails is a bad battery, even if it may appear to test good. compression on mine is around 130, so at 135, you are good. I was eating through coolant and found out I had a bad seal on the waterpump which is right under the electric starter if you have it. If it"s not leaking out there and no hoses are leaking, I wouldn't recommend driving it which is likely a sign of a blown gasket(head, base). And from what i've heard on these sleds, your broken boot can cause your motor to cease from drawing in too much air (not entirely sure but from what I've read)
His is a battery less EFI. It doesn't even need the battery to run.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I have a new one today....rode hard for about three hours started to sound a little different...not bad just different. Driving and bog bog bog bog bog and dead. Checked the plugs and they were black but dry looked like they were painted very thick and shiney. Changed them out but absolutely no spark... So I guess my question is does something actully blow while your driving...is this possibly heat related .... After replacing then clutch and the O rings it was still very hard to pull start...

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
With no spark you are at the point where you should check the stator. This is easy to do if you have an ohm meter. I'm on many phone right now and my computer is down temporarily so I can't get the specifics for testing it to you. Hopefully either kev or blaine will be along and will fill in the blanks. If not, you can search and there are plenty of threadd about him to check it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys I watched/read what I could find on testing Stators. There was video on my exact one. I am not getting any readings at all, just stays at 1 ohm. I tested 20 times to make sure I was doing it correctly. According to the video I watched resistance went up and down but they didnt address getting no reading..... Can anyone help me out on this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts