Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think that its great news especialy for cross country racing. Polaris and doo will see nothing but snow dust if theyr lucky.
All yamaha needed was a good chassis and game over for the rest of the competition, and cat needed more top end and a fourstroke that dont need thousands of dollars to get running right.
This will b a major game changer for the better. Yamaha makes a super reliable engine.
I am very excited to see what the future brings from these two great companys.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never ridden the procross 1100 but have heard its a bit anemic. I thought to myself 6 months or so ago that a close to perfect normally aspirated 4 stroke snowmobile would be an Arctic Cat ProCross chassis with the 1049cc Yamaha nytro motor. I would bet a dollar that any true green Cat rider wouldn't pass up the chance to test ride the SnakeCat,CatSnake,YamaCat,CatAha or whatever you choose to call it. I never liked Yamaha's however it seems that they build some quality products. Now I haven't purchased a new sled since 2001 because of health problems that tend to put fun toys on the back burner. I will say that this new YamaCat has got me excited about snowmobiles again. So the merger in a nut shell. Cat gains some motor technology and a manufacturer for the 4 stroke,hopefully some DI 2 stroke technology for the engines to be built in Cats new facility plus more production and less down time at Thief River Falls. Yamaha gains a borrowed chassis and suspension technology. I see no downside to this at all. Suzuki and Yamaha are both Japanese companies so the only big deal about the engine switch is that some of the Arctic Cat faithful do not want to see another snowmobile manufacturers engines in a Cat. So the bar stool racers will have more to argue about. So what. In the end its about what this merger will bring to the consumer and that is a better product with dome needed reliability.
Just one snowmobile enthusiasts opinion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can see both sides of this but myself, I will lean toward keeping my Suzuki engine. I worked for a dealership a few years back that sold Yamaha snowmobiles and I have to say that I was less than impressed. Not that they had any more problems than any other sled but the ones these sleds have leave you walking. The three that stand out the most are the T.O.R.S., the fact that a primary clutch on a brand new sled rattles at an idle and the front suspension that falls apart going down the trail. As far as the four stroke engines go, they've had a little more time at the drawing board. The apex engine is based on a bike engine and how long have they been building those? I only worked on the equipment line at that dealer but I do know that the sled guy in our shop cussed and complained a lot about the people that designed them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am stoked! The best motor and clutching in the game paired with the best chassis? Come on boys! This just truly put 4 stroke rough trail sleds on the map,Lets be honest the 1st REAL 4 stroke rough trail sled was the Nytro. Rx1 or Apex were not rough trail sleds and now this Viper is going to be ******* awesome! I can't wait

1 - 8 of 8 Posts